U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 PM

774 posts, read 592,302 times

Advertisements

Why do we have to depend on the overseas media for the actual facts in so many cases?

Quote:
Three teens accused of murder of baseball player Chris Lane identified | News.com.au

THE images of three youths police say murdered Melbourne baseballer Christopher Lane have emerged.

The Oklahoma teens who face first-degree murder charges have been named as Chancey Luna, James Edwards and Michael Jones.
But their parents yesterday protested their innocence.
Jennifer Luna, whose son is suspected of firing the fatal shot, claimed her son was at home saying: "My son is not that way. My son is a good kid."
Earlier today, former deputy prime minister Tim Fischer has urged Australian tourists to boycott the US in the wake of the shooting murder of the Melbourne baseball star.
Mr Fischer said he was deeply angered by the latest tragedy and said turning our backs on America would help send a stern message about the need for tighter gun control.
Christopher Lane, 22, was randomly gunned down while jogging through the town of Duncan in Oklahoma on Friday afternoon local time.

If the angle is about race, does anyone here really believe that if the races were reversed, the US media wouldn't have been all over this 'detail'??

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-24-2013 at 08:04 AM..

Old 08-20-2013, 01:05 PM

12,736 posts, read 12,981,618 times
I believe US media typically doesn't name minors suspected of crimes until their names become known another way or the names have been officially released by law enforcement. Foreign media probably doesn't play by those rules.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 PM

2,943 posts, read 856,972 times
Dont Worry Al and Jesse will be on the TV any minute...

Chris Matthews and all of the MSNBC staff will show the same rage as they did toward GZ!

In the meantime I will wait for hell to turn into an ice hockey rink.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM

16,171 posts, read 5,476,659 times
I like how the Aussie's think gun control would stop a minor from illegally obtaining a weapon. They have a gun ban there and criminals still get them and kill people.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:11 PM

4,839 posts, read 1,584,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I like how the Aussie's think gun control would stop a minor from illegally obtaining a weapon. They have a gun ban there and criminals still get them and kill people.
Do you know what the gun crime rate is in Australia?

The police didn't release the names or pictures of the POS' because they're minors. Stupid rule if you ask me.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM

29,452 posts, read 18,514,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Laws against murder don't stop murderers, should we eliminate them?

Old 08-20-2013, 01:25 PM

4,839 posts, read 1,584,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post

So I guess the lives that ARE saved by Australian gun laws are worthless to you, huh?
This is where they chime in with "But the U.S. is different than Australia!!!!"

Old 08-20-2013, 01:35 PM

7,005 posts, read 3,284,755 times
For some reason, too many young black males just don't give a sh=t. They lack empathy and morals.

And yes, I know the vast majority of young black males do not fall into this category.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 PM

774 posts, read 592,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
For some reason, too many young black males just don't give a sh=t. They lack empathy and morals.

And yes, I know the vast majority of young black males do not fall into this category.
Thank you for a reasoned contribution to the thread.

Many are unwanted children and therein lies the crux imho. In addition to the many other disadvantages they must contend with, they often have only one parent and she is too immature/needy/messed up herself to do any decent parenting. It's a horrible way to grow up.

If you grow up without being loved or cared for, it's all too easy to become resistant or even oblivious to the feelings and well-being of others.

Some have suggested that the tremendous decrease in crime during the past two decades is a result of abortion being made legal in 1973. Fewer unwanted children.

There, something for everyone to disagree with

Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 PM

6,340 posts, read 1,835,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Thank you for a reasoned contribution to the thread.

Many are unwanted children and therein lies the crux imho. In addition to the many other disadvantages they must contend with, they often have only one parent and she is too immature/needy/messed up herself to do any decent parenting. It's a horrible way to grow up.

If you grow up without being loved or cared for, it's all too easy to become resistant or even oblivious to the feelings and well-being of others.

Some have suggested that the tremendous decrease in crime during the past two decades is a result of abortion being made legal in 1973. Fewer unwanted children.

There, something for everyone to disagree with
Freakanomics.

An unwanted kid born to an unwed poor single teen mom = a thug in 16 years.

Put a morning after pill dispenser at every gas station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.