Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,096,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
This is why I can't have a normal conversation with some gun nuts.
I have a hard time believing that someone who says this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Perhaps in your world ... your mother's basement, perhaps ... this kind of behavior is what passes for intelligent thought. Not in mine, however, so I decline to play your games.
and who also refers to the people they're conversing with as "nuts" is genuinely interested in having a "normal conversation."

In fact, I believe, based on the above quotes as well as a myriad of other posts you've written on this topic, that the LAST thing you're interested in is a "normal conversation" about guns. Your position is, "It's my way or the highway, and if you disagree with me, you're a slobbering neanderthal gun nut that wants to start a civil war from your mother's basement."

Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Maybe they could arm willing teachers
YEAH! Then we can have shoot outs in the class room with panicked and barely trained teachers spray bullets all over the class room because THAT is sure to reduce the number of people shot!

Or, you know, we could do the sane thing, which just about every other country has already done, and limit access to firearms especially military style assault rifles. Requiring a comprehensive mental health exam which must be renewed on a yearly basis along with a yearly test to make sure owners know the law would likely also help. But how silly of me to offer solutions which would actually work in the real world when out gun fetishists are not even remotely interested in little things like real solutions.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:12 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
The social contract? I haven't signed anything. I'm an individual. As long as I don't encroach on your rights, I have no responsibility to you.

I have no kids but my nieces and nephews have learned or will learn when they go to school about safety. Hiding is not acceptable.

School Attacker Response Class... excerpts from a course for children. - YouTube
Hiding is not acceptable? Hey man, this isn't metal gear solid ok? And when you get shot, you don't lose energy or lose a life and come back, you are dead.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
There's a gun problem in this country & anyone who denies that or can't see that is mentally inept.
No, there's a culture problem in this country & "anyone who denies that or can't see it is mentally inept."

Old 08-21-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I believe the only type of gun that should be legal is a simple hand gun.
I'd bet a very good sum of money that you've lived your entire life in a big city.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Going thru a background check is chilling? Really? Are the gun nuts really that paranoid, thin skinned or do they all have something in their criminal past that they're nervous will come up? I can't think of any other explanation, truly.
So you're cool with being required to pass a background check and have to be given special permission to post on the internet, too, right?

Or how about passing a background check in order to require the police obtain a warrant before searching your home?

This one's particularly "special" - you have to pass a background check and be given permission to not have to testify against yourself in a trial. You're all happy bouncy keen with that, right?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:32 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
YEAH! Then we can have shoot outs in the class room with panicked and barely trained teachers spray bullets all over the class room because THAT is sure to reduce the number of people shot!

Or, you know, we could do the sane thing, which just about every other country has already done, and limit access to firearms especially military style assault rifles. Requiring a comprehensive mental health exam which must be renewed on a yearly basis along with a yearly test to make sure owners know the law would likely also help. But how silly of me to offer solutions which would actually work in the real world when out gun fetishists are not even remotely interested in little things like real solutions.
So the insane thing to do would have the victims be able to protect themselves. That makes total sense.

Please, tell us what is a "military style assault rifle" and why is it so dangerous? I really hope your response includes pertinent information such as the amount of people die every year by these "military style assault rifles" compared to regular rifles and handguns.

I'll submit to a mental health check to own a gun when you submit to one to post on the Internet. My gun causes less damage to this world than your posts.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'd bet a very good sum of money that you've lived your entire life in a big city.
Wrong, grew up in the straight up country. Surrounded by gun toting country folk in a farm community where the nearest mall was 2 hours away. Still think we need stronger gun laws.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
The social contract? I haven't signed anything. I'm an individual. As long as I don't encroach on your rights, I have no responsibility to you.

I have no kids but my nieces and nephews have learned or will learn when they go to school about safety. Hiding is not acceptable.

School Attacker Response Class... excerpts from a course for children. - YouTube

We need better gun laws for the entire U.S. You don't get to decide which laws to follow. I hope stricter gun laws are on the way and yes you will follow them or they can throw you in jail.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Wrong, grew up in the straight up country. Surrounded by gun toting country folk in a farm community where the nearest mall was 2 hours away. Still think we need stronger gun laws.
And do you still believe, as you posted earlier, that only handguns should be allowed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies