U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2013, 12:22 PM

14,380 posts, read 5,298,175 times

Advertisements

Imagine that.

The myth of the modern welfare queen

The myth of the modern welfare queen

Here's one thing both critics and supporters of the modern welfare system agree on: The direct assistance program as we knew it in the 1980s and 1990s is dead and gone.

"It's a very different program than it was in the past. The comment about welfare queens is much less justified now," said Ron Haskins, a key advisor of the Republicans' welfare reform effort who now works at the Brookings Institution.

It seems as the way out of poverty hasn't changed. It's called EDUCATION.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 PM
bUU

6,123 posts, read 2,524,247 times
One wonders why the reasonable voices in the Republican Party are all closeted in ivory towards and precluded from guiding the party's direction. Instead, we get RWNJs in the media mindlessly accusing every person receiving public assistance of craven sloth, inciting hatred-infused antagonism toward social conscience and consideration of others.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 PM

5,283 posts, read 1,426,354 times
Ronnie revived that urban legend in 1980. It's probably the most popular of the many myths that right-wingers choose to believe.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 PM

14,380 posts, read 5,298,175 times
Here's a fun fact, there are less families on "welfare" now than 16 years ago.

An average of about 1.72 million families a month received direct assistance through Temporary Assistance for Needy Families last year, according to the latest data from the federal government's Office of Family Assistance. That's about half the 3.94 million families who received TANF in 1997, according to an Urban Institute report funded by the Department of Health and Human Services .

Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 PM

5,395 posts, read 1,521,944 times
But ... but ... LEECHES! GOVERNMENT TEAT! LAZY BUMS! 47%!!!!!!

Did I cover everything?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 PM

16,201 posts, read 5,610,138 times
What a complete load of BS. There are more people now on assistance than ever before. AND the welfare queen lives. There are MANY out there. I see them daily. Food stamp participation is at it's highest ever in this country.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:39 PM

5,395 posts, read 1,521,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There are MANY out there. I see them daily.
Well, that proves it, then!

Believe what you want. I know how uncomfortable you'd be without people to hate.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:42 PM

4,113 posts, read 1,775,539 times
I agree it is gone, but I wish they would also get rid of the EITC, which replaced cash assistance as we know it. I truly believe it is what keeps many single parents from getting married, especially co-habiting parents who have been together a long time. If you have a couple kids and use the mom as Head of Household on a tax return, I have known some people to get back $10K for a tax return due to EITC when their income combined with the co-habiting parent is much greater than what EITC allows. And I feel this contributes to the growing trend of out of wedlock births in our country.

I also feel that many have moved off welfare and onto SSI/SSDI. Many people who are "depressed" can get SSI in an amount greater than that received via TANF. Parents with ADD/ADHD kids or kids on the autism spectrum also qualify for SSI and so these people continue to milk the system. This was even discussed by commenters in the OP article.

I feel that people with "depression" or other disabilities that are not permanently debilitating should have to go through a bi-annual re-certification process and provide evidence of their continued need for SSI assistance so that we can get more people off of the SSI bandwagon.

I am neither a liberal or conservative but I find it funny that many of the conservatives I know will rail against people getting "free stuff" and other people on welfare yet they get SSI. I know a lady with 8 kids, 4 of which are under 5, she has SSI and is in her mid 30s (not black either BTW) who goes on and on about how horrible democrats are with their social programs lol. Yet she gets SSI, Medicaid for her and all her kids, housing subsidies, etc. So she cost way more than a TANF single mom.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 PM

4,385 posts, read 1,608,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Here's a fun fact, there are less families on "welfare" now than 16 years ago.

An average of about 1.72 million families a month received direct assistance through Temporary Assistance for Needy Families last year, according to the latest data from the federal government's Office of Family Assistance. That's about half the 3.94 million families who received TANF in 1997, according to an Urban Institute report funded by the Department of Health and Human Services .

If you are on SSI, you are on WELFARE.
If you get food stamps or qualify for free lunch for your kids, you are on WELFARE.
If you qualify for a rent subsidized home, you are on WELFARE.
If you get Medicaid, you are on WELFARE.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 PM

16,201 posts, read 5,610,138 times
Also where that article is complete BS is the fact they didn't mention that people used up their welfare cash entitlement time and no longer qualify. The article tried to say that everyone went back to work which we ALL know is complete BS. People moved from cash welfare to SSDI and foodstamps which IS WELFARE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies