Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times

Advertisements

Has anyone mentioned this study, released earlier this year by the CDC?

Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence

I'm not sure if you can access that entire report from this link without having to pay for it or not. But one of the major findings in the study is that defensive use of a firearm happens FAR more often than anything that resembles a mass-shooting.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:00 PM

234 posts, read 184,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
And all that has what to do with the topic?
Well, why is Starbuck's having a no gun day?

To make money off of fools who insist that buying over-priced swill is going to do anything but make the fools feel good with their discretionary income!

Similiar to supporters of reactionary gun control laws who must weep because they don't understand themselves or their peers or the issues they must grapple with day-to-day. So... BAN IT! And don't forget to drop on in to Starbuck's to show your support by buying a $5 venti iced coffee-concentrate sugar and fat bomb.

Gee, marketers sure have too many people doing circles around their purposeful confusions.

Last edited by That Smell; 08-22-2013 at 09:14 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 PM

234 posts, read 184,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Apparently this Saturday is 'avoid Starbucks Day' because of the lax policy which the coffee store has regarding armed patrons in their stores.

I am reminded once again of the masterful job which the NRA has done in completely squelching any gun regulations after the massacre at Newtown. Not only do we not have fewer guns, we now have guns in schools! Who would ever have thought that instead of fewer guns, we now, as the result of multiple shootings, have more guns, in more places, than ever?

What a terrible burden to have foisted on the people of Newton, and the other communities where gun shooters cut down their citizens for apparently nothing more than some sick joy. It took less than six months for Washington to be paid off, hook, line and sinker for what could have been the basis for fewer guns and less deaths from gun toting heroes.

To say I am appalled is an understatement. But you have to give credit for the speed and accuracy with which the NRA moved to ensure that the appropriate politicians were paid off quickly, and any serious gun reducing legislation was squelched before it saw the light of day. But, to end up as a result of the gun deaths with more guns, is just unimaginable.

Pray god it is not your family member next.
God has nothing to do with it and I am glad that there is a well-funded organization supporting and defending the 2nd Amendment.

Now if you want to prevent another Newton, CT figure out how to keep the depressed and deranged away from firearms legally. But maybe Newton can answer why there are more guns out there.

In Newtown, Gun Permits Surge After Shooting - WSJ.com

Maybe they don't want to lose the right to have them if they'll need them. And the way this country is sinking into a stupefied idiocy, they will probably need them sooner rather than later.

Now, would you prefer to talk about all those dead from illegally got guns in Chicago or are the voices of Jackson Jr. and Sharpton tsking in your ear?

Old 08-22-2013, 10:22 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Apparently this Saturday is 'avoid Starbucks Day' because of the lax policy which the coffee store has regarding armed patrons in their stores.
Oh good, I will be traveling which means multiple trips to Starbucks!!

Old 08-23-2013, 04:14 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm pro gun ownership (though no more "pro gun" than I'm "pro hammer" or "pro sawzall") but to consider being against gun ownership anti American is ridiculous. The give and take of politics and free expression of political views is very American. And in a free society no one point of view is more American than another; that's what political freedom and free speech mean.
There are quite a few people at this site who believe in one set of rules for Bradley Manning or Edward Snowden, and a completely different set of rules for Rush Limbaugh or the Koch Brothers.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:58 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
The U.S. Constitution is the longest lasting, most successful, most enviable, and most imitated constitution man has ever known. The United States Constitution has secured an unprecedented degree of human freedom, upholding the rule of law, securing the blessings of liberty, and providing the framework for the people of America to build a great, prosperous, and just nation unlike any other in the world.

To oppose a fundamental Right guaranteed by the Constitution -- the 2nd Amendment --is indeed un-American; no one would even assert otherwise if the Amendment in question was the 1st, 4th, 5th, or most indeed, the 13th and 14th Amendments.
But the 2nd amendment is just that an amendment to the original constitutional document. Thus, it seems clear that that document was seen to have flaws. Another example would be that we have amendments to the original document that abolished slavery.

But the amendments themselves are no more perfect that the original document that they have amended. We have had to make numerous further adjustments to how our country is governed in regard to former slaves and their descendants than just the amendment abolishing slavery.

Slavery was a right, and it has been abolished.

The 18th amendment to the constitution prohibited the manufacture and sale of intoxicating beverages in the U.S. The 21st amendment repealed the 18th. Was that anti-American then?

Both slavery and prohibition have been at one time been core parts of our basic documents. They no longer are. So, I cannot see how it is "un-American" to question or reconsider the 2nd amendment.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:03 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Exactly 100% agree.

I could care less about a company's "stance" on political issues, and, frankly, am tired of everyone and everything being bullied these days...

Me too-No gun day?? Really? How about no charging $6 for a latte made of foam? When they make that announcement I'll be right over.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:08 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Exactly 100% agree.

I could care less about a company's "stance" on political issues, and, frankly, am tired of everyone and everything being bullied these days...
I don't really care about a company's stance. I care about price and whether or not I like their product. That being said if I were to go to a store were several strangers were carrying guns with all the nuts around today I would quietly leave and go elsewhere.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:45 AM

702 posts, read 726,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
There are quite a few people at this site who believe in one set of rules for Bradley Manning or Edward Snowden, and a completely different set of rules for Rush Limbaugh or the Koch Brothers.
Well, you see one group wants the American citizens to know all the crimes the American government is committing against its own citizens and to civilians abroad. The other group benghazi benghazi benghazi benghazi benghazi.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:15 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
Well, you see one group wants the American citizens to know all the crimes the American government is committing against its own citizens and to civilians abroad. The other group benghazi benghazi benghazi benghazi benghazi.
No, you're just ranting about Benghazi because it was your team that was caught in a lie, just as they were caught using the IRS to harrass citizens whom the Chicago Democratic gangstas want to see treated as second-class.

There is a clear difference between lack of evidence (as with Saddam's WMD) and overt wrongdoing; but we all know that there's a double standard depending upon which side is the target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies