Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:51 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattotalex View Post
member of the nra and proud of it. Glad my nra dues are going to good use protecting my 2nd amendment rights.

Fact: Jurisdictions that are more 2nd amendment friendly consistently have less crime than neighboring and adjacent jurisdictions with anti-2nd amendment gun control.

If one doesnt like starbuck's pro-american policies, simply don't do business there anymore. That simple.
+1

Old 08-22-2013, 04:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
And what is the yardstick of credibility on guns?
I don't really understand your question.
Quote:
Bloomberg and the other Left wing group you linked to, both hell-bent on gun-control?
The raw numbers are enough to tell the truth.
Quote:

That's a laughable way to debater.
Sure.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:53 PM

I wonder if this is a ploy for Starbucks to attract republican voters. Generally, Democrats frequent Starbucks while Republicans frequent Dunkin Donuts.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMadtux View Post
Seriously? Hand-to-hand combat? Where are the grandmothers engaging in hand-to-hand combat with 20 year olds? What do you suppose the likelihood of Granny being able to retrieve her weapon from her purse, having the dexterity to take off the safety, the mental clarity to aim & fire while being mugged, stabbed, and/or raped by the 20 year old, and having the strength to hold on to it before the 20 year old could pry it out of her hand and use it to kill her? Who is this Granny, Layla Ali?
Reading comprehension would help.

Read my question again and see if you understand it. Or maybe you did and just proved my point further. My point is that granny cannot defend herself without a weapon against a young, stronger and more aggressive opponent.

How else, besides a gun, is she supposed to defend herself?

Of course, you've also touched on the liberal ignorance of guns.

Store in her purse? Those who use guns to defend themselves know that storing it out of reasonable accessible reach would make the gun as good as a paperweight. Do you keep your fire extinguisher locked up where it would be difficult to access?

Safety? Mental clarity to aim & fire? It may surprise you but most of us gun owners and those who carry guns are not cavemen who just walk into a store and buy a gun without filling out a 4473 (Google it, it's a real form) and walk out 2 minutes later with armor piercing bullets and fully loaded "clips" that can shoot through an Bradley Fighting Vehicle. All dealer sales are conducted with a 4473, which is a background check and all states also require a minimum of a background check to carry concealed. Most states also require a certain number of hours training which include but are not limited to legal matters, situational awareness, maintenance, basic firearm safety and a live fire safety.

Now I've seen a gun or two and been shot at a time or two or six and by more than handguns but I dare say most criminals would not want to engage a person who is armed. You know who they prey on? People like you who refuse to defend themselves, the easy prey they know who won't/can't fight back.

It's picking the lowest fruit. Wolves and sheep.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:20 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I wonder if this is a ploy for Starbucks to attract republican voters. Generally, Democrats frequent Starbucks while Republicans frequent Dunkin Donuts.
No, I think it's just a thing to get more business and publicity in general.

Money is green either way.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:21 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMadtux View Post
Seriously? Hand-to-hand combat? Where are the grandmothers engaging in hand-to-hand combat with 20 year olds? What do you suppose the likelihood of Granny being able to retrieve her weapon from her purse, having the dexterity to take off the safety, the mental clarity to aim & fire while being mugged, stabbed, and/or raped by the 20 year old, and having the strength to hold on to it before the 20 year old could pry it out of her hand and use it to kill her? Who is this Granny, Layla Ali?
You missed the entire point when Army_Guy mentioned hand to hand combat. Nobody is saying grandma IS or should be engaging in hand to hand combat with 20 year olds. The point is that a weapon gives Granny a chance... A CHANCE, which is better than the alternative which amounts to being a helpless victim with NO chance. And where is this Granny? That would be my Mother for an example. She is 74 years old, sharp as a tack and has handled firearms her entire life.

Quote:
Well, the conservatives supporting the NRA are also the ones against "Obama-care" which would enable mentally ill people to get the help they need. So...there goes that idea for a solution.
Only IF the mentally ill would seek help after buying insurance. That is all "Obama-care" really does, forces the American People to either purchase insurance from a private company OR forces small business to pay for employees and their families to have insurance through those same private companies. There is NOTHING in the law that assures the health care will ACTUALLY BE affordable for anyone. It just mandates that everyone carrys insurance. Big difference and not the magic bullet the Left is trying to make it out to be. If it is so great why has Congress exempted themselves from ever having to follow their own law? EVER, not now, not after their term is finished. That sounds like they KNOW it is a cluster-f waiting to happen.

Quote:
How is it that conservatives can say "Even if they pass a law banning assault weapons, its not going to reduce the number of people killed by gun-violence"

BUT

The conservatives also say, "Yes, let's ban abortions because then no more women will have abortions!"

Pick one, just one, already.
Two totally different things. Nice try, but it is a strawman argument that has zero bearing on the gun control issue.

Quote:
The kooky logic and irrational scare tactics from vigilante militia who think the government is coming for all their guns if we were to pass any legislation to try to regulate the number and type of weapons out there are exactly why I don't think those people should have them.
Can you see the irony in your statement? You are saying the "gun nuts" are afraid somebody will take their guns away through laws, and how they are wrong, then the next thought you are saying those are the people you would like to see have their guns taken away. The problem is just WHO would determine what is an illegal weapon and what is a legal weapon? How they LOOK? That is what most people go by isn't it? if a gun looks "scary" then it must be dangerous. Most on the gun control side don't even know that what they are shouting to the heavens is mostly already in place. BAN AUTOMATIC WEAPONS... ever hear of the federal firearms law of 1938? Does exactly that for the masses. A few exceptions, but for all intent and purposes, fully automatic weapons HAVE been banned for a very long time.
Criminals don't give a rats ass what laws or bans are in place, they are breaking them anyway. Banning weapons will not stop them from being in the hands of those who will commit the crimes. They sure are not going to turn them in if a law is passed.

Quote:
If the law says that if someone tresspasses on your property to break into your car, toilet paper your house, or tip your cows, they get a misdemeanor citation, a fine, and maybe some community service, how does that justify trigger happy rednecks from shooting 40 holes in that same person because they're "defending their family"??
If you are afraid of getting shot, don't commit the crimes of breaking into vehicles, vandalizing property, or messing with someones livelihood. Simple.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
2A is the 800 pound gorilla - it's not there to deter robberies or shoot deer. Its intent is very clear -- an armed citizenry is a deterrent against a tyrannical Govt. Those framers were really kooks according to some here. In reality, those framers over 200 year ago knew a lot more about Govt, history, humankind than many ignorants here. They also fought and won against the most powerful nation at the time. Wonder who the kooks really are!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Think I'll stop 2 or 3 times and I'll let it all hang out thanks to Mn's open carry law!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Maybe. Maybe it's all a ploy to bring in business.

I don't care if it is a ploy. So far, Starbucks is taking a stand to support the EXISTING laws. I'll be buying 10 lattes on Saturday. And giving nine of them to other people who are open-carrying.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Maybe. Maybe it's all a ploy to bring in business.

I don't care if it is a ploy. So far, Starbucks is taking a stand to support the EXISTING laws. I'll be buying 10 lattes on Saturday. And giving nine of them to other people who are open-carrying.
There is no existing law that permits nor denies an individual from carrying a gun on private property (at the federal level).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies