Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Intelligent Design?
Yes, teach it along with Evolution 22 15.28%
No, teach only Evolution 121 84.03%
No, teach only Intelligent Design 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:53 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Please look up what 'genetic drift' actually means. You are using the term incorrectly. (as in, you really don't know what you are talking about).

'smoking gun' 'missing link'? Where do you get your 'information' from? The tabloid press?

Who is this mysterious 'they'? The over-excited Norwegian paleontologist Jørn Hurum who set up a media blitz and a book deal before presenting any information for peer-review?

Short Sharp Science: Confirmed: Fossil Ida is not a human ancestor
Right...so..yes...

My point was..."there is no missing link"

Are you agreeing or disputing? I'm very confused now LOL...

You seem very angry lmao

Oh thank you for also illustrating that people will swallow research without a shred of scientific evidence....kind of like...you do!

Even worse you propagate it!!! For your own bitter, bitter witch hunt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 07:54 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Are you serious? Please read your own link. Not just the misleading title.
Creationists can't think in much more than sound bites.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Man guesses, God knows.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:57 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Creationists can't think in much more than sound bites.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Thank you for doing the grunt work building Jaymaxs strawman...

She thanks you

Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Your claim that the design of the retina is unintelligent suggests you have ideas about a better design, and I'm sure that would be entertaining to hear. But the problem with this line of non-reasoning is that you aren't smart enough to make such a claim, and neither is anyone else residing on this planet. Until someone demonstrates the capability to design a better human being, it's safe to say we are the most intelligently designed game in town. Furthermore, such erroneous ideas do not address the mind boggling complexity of a single cell, let alone the 100 Trillion of them that make up one human body, which perform Trillions of tasks each second in harmony with the whole. Science cannot create even one living cell out of non living matter, let alone 100 trillion working together to create a human being ... so I would say that our very existence serves as the most intelligently designed thing that we know of ... with our brains more powerful and sophisticated than the most advanced super computer. (at least in terms of capability, but not necessarily utilized to any significant degree or the possibility).

In terms of computer technology .... try conceiving that the human body contains around 150 Trillion Gigabytes of genetic data across the entire structure ... that's 150 zettabytes, more than enough to fill every library's shelves on earth. And don't try to outdo the human body in data transfer rates either .... one typical human ejaculation transfers about 16,000 gigabytes of genetic information in about 5 seconds ... and that is like performing a full backup on 1400 typical computers in one second. No man made technology remotely comes close to this. Try as we may, we cannot come close to creating the complexity and capability inherent in biological life .... but this is no proof of intelligent design? Only a brainwashed crazy person would come to such a conclusion.

Retinas ....
You shouldn't smack yourself so hard on the head so often, you might dislodge your retina.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
No.
Of course, we haven't even covered the silliest stuff. What is that appendix doing there? Nothing, just waiting to become infected and kill its owner. If you were designing a machine that had an oxygen metabolism and needed to take in food, would you plan to use the same passage for both functions? Yeah, that's good design. Would you naturally assume that the organ responsible for hearing would also house the mechanism of balance? If we were "intelligently" designed, why did the designer make our jaws too farking small for all of our teeth? Those "wisdom" teeth certainly don't seem like wise design. No, the human body is a massive collection of kludges and imperfections. It works, but is subject to an awful lot of failures and chronic problems. Elsewhere in creation, the story isn't any better. Most creatures are full of design flaws. From the panda's thumb, to the vestigial wings of flightless birds, to the hip bones deep inside of whales, to the parthenogenetic lizards of the genus Cnemdophorus, nature is full of kludges, half-measures, make-dos, re-works and downright crazy adaptations.
In fact, these misdesigns are some of the strongest arguments in favor of evolution. Those tails that human embryos have, then lose, are pretty obvious signs, aren't they? What about the fetal teeth of certain whales that form, but never erupt, then get reabsorbed? Sounds like evolution to me. Those flounders that are born with an eye on each side, but then one eye moves over to the other side: evolution or intelligent design? Flightless birds which nevertheless have hollow bones to conserve weight? Maybe God just likes his penguins to have hollow bones! Nearly all of the "design flaws" I have described make perfect sense if we assume evolution as the design mechanism. Evolution finds it much easier to adapt existing structures to new purposes (horses with one hoof still have bones inside to support three toes) than to invent from scratch.
AmbivaBlog: Not-So Intelligent Design
But! but! but!....Mt Rushmore, tornadoes and jetliners in a junkyard, glasses of water, Microsoft Office and monkeys, golden ratio, replicating cells and... and...uh... other stuff, prove this is um....um... ummm.... I forgot what I was saying... oh yeah. A intelligent thingamie musta done it all! It's all just too complicated for me to think about otherwise. Evolution and Darwinist monkey's uncles are a leftist conspiracy to dumb down our kids and try to take away our belief in G... um... I mean... an intelligent thingamie!

Last edited by Ceist; 08-24-2013 at 09:20 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yes, retinas. Installed backwards, leaving us with a blind spot.
I'm starting to think some people have their brains installed backwards...

Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
If it were true, we should be seeing apes break out of prisons and labs the world over, when they make that leap to human. Anybody caught that on film?
Is this a POE?

Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Is this a POE?
I did respond to the post, but one would hope that it is tongue in cheek. Although, it is not the first time that I've come across a post such as this and I tend to believe that some might actually be in earnest.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
It has become dogmatic....when some explanations cannot be effectively tested by the average joe, for whatever reason, you are banking on the sophistry of it all.
How about you, as an average Joe, test the 'explanation' that the earth is spherical and not flat by walking until you fall off the edge.

See you in a few years, and don't forget your snorkel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies