Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Intelligent Design?
Yes, teach it along with Evolution 22 15.28%
No, teach only Evolution 121 84.03%
No, teach only Intelligent Design 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times

Advertisements

I agree with ivorytickler lol...it doesn't make a difference. Existence could be totally irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 03:35 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
There is no archaeological evidence the event occurred.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Why would there be? We're not even sure of the exact location this is supposed to have happened so where would we look and what evidence would you expect to see if the sea parted and then came back together? We're talking water here and the sea bed. I wouldn't expect there to be archaeological evidence of such an occurrence. Wood and bodies decompose. Artifacts would get covered with sediment over time (How many bodies did they find in the Titanic and that was only 100 years ago). I'm curious as to what you think they should have found though and who's gone looking for it and just who is it who has the exact location to go looking for it?

Old 08-26-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Good grief man, it like all other so called miracles in that book of fiction is a myth...I have a hard time believing that anybody other than small children are that gullible and naive....
Given you and I were not there, we cannot say. We can only go by what is written and what science says is possible. Science backs up that such an event could have happened. History is tainted here because the pharaoh would have made sure no such event were recorded in history as losing to a bunch of slaves would make him look bad. Archaeologists admit this would be the case so we can't look to history to find out what happened. All we know is what the bible says and that science says it is possible. From there, we are left to draw our own conclusions. Personally, I find that science backs up that such an event could have happened intriguing.

I have no doubt that much of what is in the old testament is embellished and has become folklore (which is not an issue because the purpose of the bible is to teach religion and if embellishment helps teaching it serves its purpose.) but I find it intriguing that in this case, the writers chose something that actually could have happened. Now if they'd said they walked on water across the red sea instead of the sea parted....

I find it very intriguing that science says the events of the exodus were possible and they are recorded in the bible. It's unfortunate that the egos of the pharaohs get in the way of recorded history here. We would expect no record whether it happened or not so the only record we have is the bible which is not a book of history. Rather it documents the history of the Jewish religion. As a religious document, the importance would be placed on the moral of the story not the accuracy of the story itself. It is doubtful that the authors thought they were recording history the way we would record history. What was important was keeping the religious aspects of the story pure not the details so it would be incorrect to go looking for archaeological evidence for every single detail. That would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater as you are trying to make the bible something it never was. It is however intriguing that so many of these events are scientifically possible.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-26-2013 at 04:16 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 04:27 AM

Just wanted to add that anyone reading the bible needs to keep in mind what the bible is and is not. It is NOT a history book in the sense of what we would call a history book. The history recorded is recorded for its religious importance. It is a book of religion whose intent is to teach us about man's relationship with God. For either side to get hung up on details is an issue here as both are trying to make the bible something it is not. You have to look at the overall story and understand the religious implications of the story and the religious implications of the events told in the story. At the very least, you can assume many details that were not important to the story have been left out.

I found this explanation on line and thought it fitting to post it here:

"We want to make the Bible history. Many people think it has to be history or nothing. But there is no word for history in the Hebrew Bible. In other words, what did the biblical writers think they were doing? Writing objective history? No. That's a modern discipline. They were telling stories. They wanted you to know what these purported events mean."

The writers of the bible are discussing the meaning of the events that are talked about NOT trying to record detailed history of the events themselves.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:51 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Archeologists comb through Sinai desert for the evidence of Israelites mass migration. There is not a shrewd of archeological evidence of such a large migration. According to the Torah in book of Exodus: 38:26 . . . from twenty years old or older, number of Israelites is reported 603,550. In book of Numbers 26:51 The number of the Israelites is reported 601,730. This is the Number of Israelite men over the age of twenty, not counting the women and the children. There should have been tons of evidence of such big mass of people lived in Sinai desert for forty years. There should be some broken pottery, some domestic animal bones, some human's tombs, human's waste, and so on. But there is no evidence of such a great migration!

Sent from my Nexus 4

Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 AM

Who wrote the Bible? And were they any worse than our current government?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:55 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I guess we've come full circle now. A thread that started out with the question of whether the religious doctrine of intelligent design should be taught in the public schools as come around to having the supporters use religious stories of the Israeli presence of and exodus from Egypt, events that almost certainly did not happen, as evidence to support the religious doctrine of intelligent design.

In other words, proof that it is not science and it is religion.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:52 AM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Care to furnish any evidence of this?
Fields like cognitive neuroscience, evolutionary psychology and ethology cover these topics in depth.

I've got some work to take care of right now, but I will post links later.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Fields like cognitive neuroscience, evolutionary psychology and ethology cover these topics in depth.

I've got some work to take care of right now, but I will post links later.
Oh brother.... here we go again....

Cue up Jaymaxs entrance music

Old 08-26-2013, 06:17 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So, you're in the "everything just popped into existence" camp.

Very logical!
And God just popped into existence? Very logical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies