Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Intelligent Design?
Yes, teach it along with Evolution 22 15.28%
No, teach only Evolution 121 84.03%
No, teach only Intelligent Design 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:32 AM

545 posts, read 451,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I got an idea....let's totally go ALL the way. We need to overtly denounce and disprove religion as an introduction to science. We need to stress the scientific method as the only rule until further notice. Hold only empirical data as gospel.

Of course, this will naturally culture critical thought. And...since science makes absolutely no moral prescriptions....we can start disregarding any and all moral claims made by man...right? Can we "test" a moral? Are morals falsifiable? What is the math behind a moral?

Athiests are TOTALLY on to something here.

After all...metaphysics is just "mother goose" and since we have abolished any and all religion we cannot teach metaphysics or ethics and so forth in Sunday school. We will have to come up with "other school".

At 13-15 depending on school and student potential all that, so I will use 14.

At 14 have a course on world religions....after that the subject becomes one of the optional credits in the arts for choice. Yuh gotta get choice and mandatory in there to give them an idea of what subjects in the arts and their history the unique student is keen on. Science and the arts must be separate. Also any religion cannot be emphasized and the students simply guided alongside reason in the area of creator all that. People need the freedom to discover on their own in their own way or its a waste of time. Graded on content of material and the application of common sense, without particular bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 01:52 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
At 13-15 depending on school and student potential all that, so I will use 14.

At 14 have a course on world religions....after that the subject becomes one of the optional credits in the arts for choice. Yuh gotta get choice and mandatory in there to give them an idea of what subjects in the arts and their history the unique student is keen on. Science and the arts must be separate. Also any religion cannot be emphasized and the students simply guided alongside reason in the area of creator all that. People need the freedom to discover on their own in their own way or its a waste of time. Graded on content of material and the application of common sense, without particular bias.
I don't think religion should be part of the curriculum...ever. I think that the establishment should, however, be wary of evolving to a philosophy where the scientific method being all that matters. Taking a position that we should reject all in which cannot be disproved can have potentially serious social ramifications in future generations.

Last edited by Hot_Handz; 08-29-2013 at 02:42 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 02:00 AM

545 posts, read 451,716 times
Quote:
I don't think religion should be part of the curriculum...ever. I think that the establishment should, however, evolving a philosophy that the scientific method being all that matters. Taking a position that we should reject all in which cannot be disproved can have potentially serious social ramifications in future generations.
I see the end goal and agree with the advisory. Although world religions is not specific to a religion and part of history. Also history itself is connected to social issues which are effected through the centuries by faith idea's. So the idea only makes an introduction for the year in the frame of history in the arts dept, and then it is a choice.

Theres a few things going on, training and ed shouldn't show fear in general knowledge. Its a field of history and some people enjoy it ( I don't to be honest) It could be set up in a wise way, no more then two years if chosen separated by intro to philosophy for the arts and history area.

Last edited by macpherson; 08-29-2013 at 02:20 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 02:34 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,266 times
Quote:
I don't think religion should be part of the curriculum...ever.
You're talking about Public Schools ... right?

Quote:
I think that the establishment should, however, evolving a philosophy that the scientific method being all that matters.
Nice idea until you come to esoteric concepts ... then what? I'll save you the trouble of asking ... Why is there air?

Quote:
Taking a position that we should reject all in which cannot be disproved can have potentially serious social ramifications in future generations.
I agree. Therein lies a problem ... what about interpretation of facts ... aka spin? Just look at the spitting contests going on in just this forum (not to mention board). Does the scientific method apply to political philosophy?

El Nox

Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
You're talking about Public Schools ... right?
I struggle with the concept of private education...I also do not adhere to public education being administered by the state. It's just one of those doubled-edged sword scenarios. Under the current infrastructure, however, parents have the right to spend their money on whatever product they choose..So yes, I am speaking within the context of public education.

Quote:
Nice idea until you come to esoteric concepts ... then what? I'll save you the trouble of asking ... Why is there air?
It was a typo...I was making mention of how the establishment should be cautious in developing a philosophy in where the scientific method or empirical data is the end all, be all for how we carry out or day to day actions.

Quote:
I agree. Therein lies a problem ... what about interpretation of facts ... aka spin? Just look at the spitting contests going on in just this forum (not to mention board). Does the scientific method apply to political philosophy?
El Nox[/quote]

Well...it's a problem. Facts are interpreted. Conclusions are rubber stamped. There is collusion among peers...so forth and so on.

Science in todays social climate is anything but pure.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Apparently you didn't comprehend my point.

Assume folks believe in evolution. Just when did evolution start?

El Nox
You don't have a point. If I believe that the sun is a ball of burning hydrogen, when it started burning has nothing to do with what it is. Evolution is the fact that over time species change. That is all. The origin of life, or the origin of the universe, have nothing to do with evolution. Nothing. The theory of evolution in science attempts to explain how and why species change over time. Nothing more.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
I got an idea....let's totally go ALL the way. We need to overtly denounce and disprove religion as an introduction to science. We need to stress the scientific method as the only rule until further notice. Hold only empirical data as gospel.

Of course, this will naturally culture critical thought. And...since science makes absolutely no moral prescriptions....we can start disregarding any and all moral claims made by man...right? Can we "test" a moral? Are morals falsifiable? What is the math behind a moral?

Athiests are TOTALLY on to something here.

After all...metaphysics is just "mother goose" and since we have abolished any and all religion we cannot teach metaphysics or ethics and so forth in Sunday school. We will have to come up with "other school".
How about we just keep religion out of science class?

Teach science in science class and religion in church.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You don't have a point. If I believe that the sun is a ball of burning hydrogen, when it started burning has nothing to do with what it is.
Then is any kind of intelligent design bogus?

The "primordial soup" just magically appeared?

The sun and its gravitational effect on the formation of planets has nothing to do with the platform on which the origin of life begins?

Quote:
Evolution is the fact that over time species change. That is all.
Hmmm ...

In the process of the evolution of man, there are several distinct categories ... homo sapiens, homo erectus, et al. Each of the skeletons discovered fit nicely into a category. What is lacking is a transitional skeleton between each of the categories. That is why Piltdown was so spectacular. It was a transitional (skull) skeleton.

There exists NO transitional skeleton between Neanderthal and Cro-magnon. Depending upon your source the earliest Cro-magnon is ~ 400,000 BCE. Neanderthal went roughly 1.9 million years (after Lucy) with no changes. Yet Cro-magnon developed into myriad species in one-fifth that time. Means that a whole bunch of different monkey species 'evolved' at once.

Quote:
The origin of life, or the origin of the universe, have nothing to do with evolution. Nothing.
We disagree. The origins are EVERYTHING. Small point ... Chucky Darwin's book was titled THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES.

Quote:
The theory of evolution in science attempts to explain how and why species change over time. Nothing more.
I suggest you read the book ... DARWIN'S BLACK BOX. It's a great read.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Then is any kind of intelligent design bogus?

The "primordial soup" just magically appeared?

The sun and its gravitational effect on the formation of planets has nothing to do with the platform on which the origin of life begins?

Hmmm ...

In the process of the evolution of man, there are several distinct categories ... homo sapiens, homo erectus, et al. Each of the skeletons discovered fit nicely into a category. What is lacking is a transitional skeleton between each of the categories. That is why Piltdown was so spectacular. It was a transitional (skull) skeleton.

There exists NO transitional skeleton between Neanderthal and Cro-magnon. Depending upon your source the earliest Cro-magnon is ~ 400,000 BCE. Neanderthal went roughly 1.9 million years (after Lucy) with no changes. Yet Cro-magnon developed into myriad species in one-fifth that time. Means that a whole bunch of different monkey species 'evolved' at once.

We disagree. The origins are EVERYTHING. Small point ... Chucky Darwin's book was titled THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES.

I suggest you read the book ... DARWIN'S BLACK BOX. It's a great read.
It is irrelevant to the Theory of Evolution how the "primordial soup" formed. The Theory of Evolution does not address genesis. Evolution is about how and why species change over time. Nothing more. The fact that you cannot separate evolution from genesis is your problem. They are two separate things.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 AM

419 posts, read 365,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How about we just keep religion out of science class?

Teach science in science class and religion in church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies