Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:01 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times

Advertisements

Could someone also please explain to me how shortening the early voting period is good for North Carolinians? What kind of fraud does it protect against?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
This has been an issue with me as well, just because some kid is going to college in my state, why should that give him or her a vote in the elections of my state?

If you grew up in Georgia, went to K-12 in Georgia, your parents live in Georgia. Just because come to my state for a few school semesters, it should not entitle you to vote in elections or on laws which will change my city and state forever. The same goes for running for political office.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
This has been an issue with me as well, just because some kid is going to college in my state, why should that give him or her a vote in the elections of my state?

If you grew up in Georgia, went to K-12 in Georgia, your parents live in Georgia. Just because come to my state for a few school semesters, it should not entitle you to vote in elections or on laws which will change my city and state forever. The same goes for running for political office.
Do the things the students vote for affect them during their lives spent in your state? Of course they do. Why should someone be forced to vote for an elected official or government policy in a state where they do not currently live?

Most states also have at least a full year required to prove student residency. Is that not enough for you? How many years does a person have to live in your state before you're willing to give that person the same rights as you?

Also, the majority of students in your state's colleges will be from your state. So why do you want to restrict their rights?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Could someone also please explain to me how shortening the early voting period is good for North Carolinians? What kind of fraud does it protect against?
Let's look at an extreme version of early voting, and and say people had nine months to vote. That nine months would allow a lot of time for people to cause mischief and voter fraud in elections, especially when no one is required to prove who they actually are. It's obvious, the longer you allow voting to occur, the longer people who commit fraud would have to plan implement it.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Let's look at an extreme version of early voting, and and say people had nine months to vote. That nine months would allow a lot of time for people to cause mischief and voter fraud in elections, especially when no one is required to prove who they actually are. It's obvious, the longer you allow voting to occur, the longer people who commit fraud would have to plan implement it.
Except that extreme version was not what was changed, therefore your argument is baseless.

Still waiting for a sensible answer.

(Also ... do you really imagine hordes of people sitting around creating fake IDs and making devious plans to throw elections for nine months? Thanks for the laugh! You and I both know that throwing elections requires control of the state's entire voting apparatus like the Secretary of State being in your pocket, plus a sibling relationship with the governor of, oh, say, Florida ... or maybe owning the company that runs the voting booths in an entire state like, oh, Ohio.)

Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Do the things the students vote for affect them during their lives spent in your state? Of course they do. Why should someone be forced to vote for an elected official or government policy in a state where they do not currently live?
It also affects me when I visit a state, or vacation there. The point is, having a bunch of college kids who will never live in your state, influencing your politics, is just ignorant to me. They are only visiting the state by going to school, and they should not be allowed to screw up elections and laws, simply because they went to school there a few months out of the year.

Quote:
Most states also have at least a full year required to prove student residency. Is that not enough for you? How many years does a person have to live in your state before you're willing to give that person the same rights as you?

Also, the majority of students in your state's colleges will be from your state. So why do you want to restrict their rights?
Live, that is the point. Living and working and making a life in a state is different then going to college, off/on for a couple years in a state. Students who are attending college in my state are not coming here to live here, settle down, and make a life here.

If they are a college student, let them either drive or fly back home and vote, or fill out an absentee ballot for their home state.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Except that extreme version was not what was changed, therefore your argument is baseless.

Still waiting for a sensible answer.

(Also ... do you really imagine hordes of people sitting around creating fake IDs and making devious plans to throw elections for nine months? Thanks for the laugh! You and I both know that throwing elections requires control of the state's entire voting apparatus like the Secretary of State being in your pocket, plus a sibling relationship with the governor of, oh, say, Florida ... or maybe owning the company that runs the voting booths in an entire state like, oh, Ohio.)
Ridicule is the last resort for someone who has lost the argument. You lose unless you can discuss this rationally.

EDIT: You asked a broad question, and then ridiculed me for not providing a specific answer. Try asking a specific question, and I'll try to answer it, otherwise this is not going to be a very good discussion.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Here in Pennsylvania last year a Republican official frankly admitted that the stategy of voter suppression be used to deny citizens the right to vote for Democrats. He was caught on tape admitting this. That is why the PA Supreme Court suspended the new rules on voting IDs.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
It also affects me when I visit a state, or vacation there. The point is, having a bunch of college kids who will never live in your state, influencing your politics, is just ignorant to me. They are only visiting the state by going to school, and they should not be allowed to screw up elections and laws, simply because they went to school there a few months out of the year.

Live, that is the point. Living and working and making a life in a state is different then going to college, off/on for a couple years in a state. Students who are attending college in my state are not coming here to live here, settle down, and make a life here.

If they are a college student, let them either drive or fly back home and vote, or fill out an absentee ballot for their home state.
They are living in your state but you don't want them to enjoy any rights for a year or more. You especially want them to have to pay a lot of money to travel and vote. Got it. It's not particularly Constitutional, but what the heck, right?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Ridicule is the last resort for someone who has lost the argument. You lose unless you can discuss this rationally.

EDIT: You asked a broad question, and then ridiculed me for not providing a specific answer. Try asking a specific question, and I'll try to answer it, otherwise this is not going to be a very good discussion.
I didn't "ridicule" anyone. I pointed out that making up some ridiculously long time for early voting, which has never existed in any state, did not answer my question even remotely.

If someone can tell me how shortening early voting in NC from 17 days to 10, even though 61% of the ballots cast in 2012 were cast in that 17 days, is good for North Carolinians.

Especially since the state's Board of Elections has referred only two cases of alleged voter impersonation fraud since 2004 to prosecutors. All these restrictions ... for 2 cases?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies