Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 08:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Times are different but much the same. Country was in a mess back then and now. Carter left it for Reagan and Bush left it for Obama. So what does a leader do?? Reagan went out and told the world how great America was and will be at every chance. The American dream can be achieved. He took on the biggest threat not with a war but with idea's. The wall came down and that made every liberal very upset. Why they can't even tell anyone. Reagan spoke of responsibility, accountability, family and country something liberals can't ever imagine. A great leader. A man who loved his country

Now we go to Obama. After being elected he goes on an apology tour across the world telling of how America is wrong, tells us all that we didn't build anything the government did and divides the country on every issue he can think of. There is no American dream just evil people who are trying to steal everything from you. Most important to the great Obama is taking our guns, gay weddings and wars on women according to him. Obama cares nothing about America, he despises it being here even though he is the greatest recipient of this country.

Reagan was a great leader. Obama a divider.

Farewell Speech - President Reagan's Farewell Speech from the Oval Office 1/11/89 - YouTube
Reagan did plenty of blaming Carter. Some of his words were eerily similar to Obama's, e.g. a speech where he said, "We knew it was bad. It was worse than we thought". I recall when someone asked REAGAN when his administration was going to begin taking responsibility for its own actions instead of blaming Carter. But then, I didn't just start following politics when Obama ran for office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not going to argue the point about policies but Obama will never will be comparable to Reagan. Reagan inspired an entire country, he brought this country together. How a leader is perceived is just as important as their policies, people need to believe in what you stand for. They need to trust you. They need to know you have their back.

When Reagan spoke it was like watching a Rocky movie as a kid, you just felt the energy and could believe in what he was saying. With Obama you get him attacking the Supreme Court during a State of the Union address, that's not leadership.
Well, what do you expect from a trained actor? Sort of like "Arnold".

Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Government revenue also grew after the John F. Kennedy and G.W. Bush tax cuts. It wasn't just a "coincidence." Or due to "other things."
It isn't clear about Kennedy, since so many things were happening at the same time to attribute more revenue to tax-cuts -- which the top rates fell from 90% to 70%.

They did not grow after Bush's tax-cuts. That's well documented. I addressed it here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/19033258-post44.html

Old 08-25-2013, 08:35 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
It took until 1987 to react the same NOMINAL revenue as was raised in 1981. Adjusting for inflation and population growth, I doubt revenue grew at all. In any case, no serious economist still believe the long dis discredited theory that cutting non-confiscatory tax-rates increases government revenue. By that theory, cutting rates to zero should yield unlimited revenue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Because of the poor economy Reagan inherited.
Yeah, it's easy to throw out a glib answer but answers have to conform to facts.

Let's look at real GDP for that period. In the period 1982 to 1985 GDP grew healthily. But real per capital government revenues (which factors out gains due to inflation and population growth) decreased first and rebounded to be even with 1981 revenue. Thus, GDP grew by 15% and government revenues didn't grow at all.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In terms of policy, they did just about the same thing.

There's a lot of things taken out of context and twisted up in your post. Cite your remarks and you'll put together a more accurate statement and realize how far it falls from the way in which you have currently presented it.
Quote:
Reagan belived in America. He believed in the people. I'm not arguing his policies were right or wrong. The man was a great president. Obama thinks America is wrong. That is where the problem is. Show me where Obama has spoken about America like Reagan did? The "light" of the world so to say which the US is. Now if you don't believe that then you are on Obama's level. The US was ready to go down in '80 and Reagan brought us back with his policies (not gonna debate that in this thread) and mostly his attitude that the US is great. First thing the man did was get our hostages back. USA........USA......USA.......we need that attitude back and Obama isn't bringing it.
This is all emotion-based and not fact-based.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
As you said, you are not talking about policies, you are talking about how much Regan cared about AMERICA
I think the point of this post is that under the health care reform we have now, AMERICANS are being taken care of better.
Oh, but that's poor America. That is not the portion of America that Republicans concern themselves with. They don't care about poor people having healthcare coverage. Period.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:21 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
About ten years ago is when we went and took care of business. Iraq and the EU, in particular France and Germany, were given due warning and they decided to cross the US along with the support of Turkey. They sided with Iraq because they wanted the bounty that would come. They lost. End of story. Democrats want to play politics with it all but in the world of reality democrats and republicans and everybody in between agreed to take down Hussain. He was a threat to the monetary system so he went away.
Read my post again. I said nothing about Iraq.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
This is all emotion-based and not fact-based.
Some people need a "leader" to stir up their emotions so they can believe in America. I never had that problem, because I believe in America with, or without a speech maker.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:39 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He also inherited Paul Volcker and his plan to bring inflation down.
Yeah, but unlike other presidents Reagan understood what Volker was trying to do and was willing to take the heat during the recession Volker caused if it would eventually lead to better times. It did in fact lead to better times. It lead to the largest expansion in the U.S. economy in the history of the union. Don't take my word for that though.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 7,443 times
Reagan was a great man and a great president. He believed that America was that "shining city on the hill". I do not believe Obama believes America is great. I do not care for his policies but still respect that he is our president.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Yeah, but unlike other presidents Reagan understood what Volker was trying to do and was willing to take the heat during the recession Volker caused if it would eventually lead to better times. It did in fact lead to better times. It lead to the largest expansion in the U.S. economy in the history of the union. Don't take my word for that though.
Actually Volker was nominated by Carter for the task of reducing inflation, and he simply continued his task after Reagan was elected. Which president did you think did not understand what he was trying to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies