Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
You may well be right......THIS year.

You didn't wear that T-shirt this year however.

BTW....Cincinnati will be the team to beat in the division.

Also.....just friendly banter. I'm a Browns fan in every game they play aside of my Steelers.

Posted with TapaTalk

Oh yes I did! I wear it every time the Browns play the Steelers.
And we did get one from you guys in 2012. And you're right, Cincinnati has steadily been improving, and I do think they're the team to beat in the AFC North.

Browns-Steelers is a great rivalry, and one of the best in the NFL. You guys may not think so, as it's been a little one-sided lately, but I think a couple times of us returning the favor, and it will be back to what it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
As I said on page 1: do not leap to conclusions based on one-side of the story. However, I'm afraid that this forum mainly contains people who see an article and immediately conclude "It must be true!"

It rather sounds like the father had enjoyed several adult beverages by the time those cops came up to him. More than likely, if the father had simply said "Sorry, officer, I was taking a photograph", then all would have been well.

True. But what if he initially told the cops that in the first place?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
I agree you have to pick your venues for children ... but I really don't think football games should be off limits just so people can get drunk and loud.

Family sections are great. I think the Pats have them -- wonder who else does?

I disagree with "the fan pays for a ticket, they should be able to wear whatever shirt he wants." Where, exactly, do you draw the line at what people can do because they bought a ticket? Anything goes? Shirts with the word "sucks?" I guarantee there are posters on this forum who'd be apoplectic if some gay parade types showed up at a football game -- hey, if they paid, no problem, right?

I think the Browns, like any privately-owned company, have a right to censor anyone they damn well please. Only the government is prohibited from censorship. And you cons worship at the feet of mega-corporations like sports franchises -- they have a business to run and should be able to run it however they see fit, right?

If you want to wear a rude T-shirt, wear it at home while you're watching football. No problem.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:04 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Is this overkill?
No, it's far beyond mere overkill. It's regulatory/ police psychosis.

Quote:
I mean, seriously. Luckily he wasn't charged as he could have faced a 1st degree misdemeanor with 3 years probation and a $2,500 fine. I placed it here instead of the pro football forum, because this ties in with the nanny state that this country is turning into. Here is the link to the article below.

Dad kicked out of Arizona Cardinals NFL game vs Dallas Cowboys after asking son to hold beer

Discuss.

What's UP with Arizona these days? They becoming Nazis or what?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:11 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times
So what is the issue here?
That there are laws against under-aged possession of alcohol?
Or that the police were enforcing these laws?

The kid was in public and holding a beer. The dad is lucky that they he got off easy. Based on this story, the police probably won't be as lenient the next time.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:15 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
When the Browns came back in the NFL a couple of us had season tickets in the Dawg Pound section of the stadium. We gave them up years ago due to the gameday experience becoming quite pricey, not to mention the lack of quality on the field. At any rate, what sealed the deal for me was a Browns-Steelers game where I wore a t-shirt that said "Pittsburgh Still Sucks." It was November, but very mild so, I had my jacket tied around my waste. The security guards told me that I had to put my jacket on to cover my shirt. He told me that they did not want to offend any visiting fans. I was like, WTF? This is Browns vs Steelers, a huge rivalry, and quite frankly they certainly wouldn't make those accomodations in their home stadium! Bottom line, if you're an opposing fan, coming to see your team on the road, realize that you are in the minority, and expect to see things that may not be so pleasant directed toward your team. If you don't like it, then stay home and watch it on tv, or go to games in your own stadium.

At any rate, I now watch out of the comfort of my own home. The beer is cheaper, the food is cheaper, and I can yell and scream at my tv, and not be afraid of getting thrown out for uttering a curse word.

As a die-hard Steelers fan, I totally agree. It is good-natured "ribbing" that should not be taken seriously. When the Ravens fans come to Heinz Field, we give them grief by calling them "Barney the dinosaur" when standing in line for the bathroom. It is all in fun.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be too quick to think that the Browns are going to be the Steelers whipping boys this season. Judging by what I've seen the Steelers have issues on their offensive line this year, and haven't quite established a starting running back. Would I take them lightly? Nope. Never. But I do think that you will find a Browns team that is a lot more competitive that shouldn't be taken lightly, or as a speed bump as in year's past.

The Steelers are breaking in their new zone blocking schemes and just signed former Cowboys first round RB Felix Jones a few hours ago until their backfield gets healthy.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I agree you have to pick your venues for children ... but I really don't think football games should be off limits just so people can get drunk and loud.

Family sections are great. I think the Pats have them -- wonder who else does?

I believe that the Browns do have a family section, and were I to take my 10 year old to a regular season game that is more than likely where I would sit. I sure as Hell wouldn't have him sit in the Dawg Pound section (the east endzone of the stadium) where it achieved it's notoriety for rowdiness. Though even it has tamed down compared to the days at the Old Cleveland Municipal Stadium.

I disagree with "the fan pays for a ticket, they should be able to wear whatever shirt he wants." Where, exactly, do you draw the line at what people can do because they bought a ticket? Anything goes? Shirts with the word "sucks?" I guarantee there are posters on this forum who'd be apoplectic if some gay parade types showed up at a football game -- hey, if they paid, no problem, right?

Well, negative actions of course have their consequences. So, as I always say use good judgement and don't do things that are going to get you in trouble, or arrested. It's how I live. But hey, in this country personal responsibility and accountability have become a thing of the past. But as I said the word "sucks" is small potatoes compared to some of the things I've seen. And words, don't offend me. Nor do gay people, so while it wouldn't bother me personally, it probably wouldn't be wise to promote gay pride at a football game given the atmosphere.

I think the Browns, like any privately-owned company, have a right to censor anyone they damn well please. Only the government is prohibited from censorship. And you cons worship at the feet of mega-corporations like sports franchises -- they have a business to run and should be able to run it however they see fit, right?

BZZZT!!! Not a con! More like libertarian. And just so you know, the mega-corps and the government go hand in hand, and are in bed with each other anyway.

If you want to wear a rude T-shirt, wear it at home while you're watching football. No problem.
Again, if you're a visiting fan you are just that. You could also stay home. I sure as Hell wouldn't go to Pittsburgh to watch the Browns play. Don't want the hassle, don't need it, and even if I did, I certainly wouldn't do anything to raise attention to myself given that I'm in "their house" so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No, it's far beyond mere overkill. It's regulatory/ police psychosis.

Indeed.

What's UP with Arizona these days? They becoming Nazis or what?
Not sure. Don't live there.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
So what is the issue here?
That there are laws against under-aged possession of alcohol?
Or that the police were enforcing these laws?

The kid was in public and holding a beer. The dad is lucky that they he got off easy. Based on this story, the police probably won't be as lenient the next time.
Did the cops see the kid drinking it? If so, then you may have something. What about others around them. The cops could have questioned the fans around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
As a die-hard Steelers fan, I totally agree. It is good-natured "ribbing" that should not be taken seriously. When the Ravens fans come to Heinz Field, we give them grief by calling them "Barney the dinosaur" when standing in line for the bathroom. It is all in fun.
Nothing wrong with that. But there are those who tend to take it too far. We call them the rat birds. Then of course there is the a**hole chant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The Steelers are breaking in their new zone blocking schemes and just signed former Cowboys first round RB Felix Jones a few hours ago until their backfield gets healthy.
That isn't a bad move. He should definitely help your running game.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:37 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Anyone who thinks the alcoholic beverage control officers were there without the full cooperation of the NFL, the stadium, and the teams, is drunk. One word: LIABILITY.

[this a total CYA by the NFL so that nobody does something stupid and sues them]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies