Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I understand the origins of the global slave trade. Thank you very much but we are talking about the U.S.A since that is where we live correct?

Most of what your stated is a re-hash of your other posts in this thread so I won't address you again.

The rest is comical.
Well I say things over and over again because you reply and you don't get the idea. Under American rule of law slavery lasted just 76 years period. No 1619 about it..... The USA was not a formal govt of the USA until the 1789! if you want to blame nations before that time go blame the Euro's. The last Euro nation to give up slaves so far as i know is England which was something like 15 years before 1865. I didn't study on that part since i am not of English decent and i don't care a whit about England.

But last blame blacks.... Blacks are where the real blame should be placed.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Mac_Muz you will never understand as a white person the atrocities of being or feeling oppressed. Black people wouldn't have to bring up slavery if we were fully equal and fully represented in todays society. Why don't they air positive images of black folk instead of just hip-hop culture? That alone stems from slavery, the notion that the noble class (whites) have to slander the working class (blacks) for paternalism to work.
Huh what? Try Morgan Freeman..... Will Smith???? Ms C Rice?????? All sorts of American blacks who made the grade and do not whine because they are as equal as they will get and have millions of dollars to prove it. While i can't stand Obama he has made it, so has Holder.

When a black man can be the Pres you as a race have made it. But for so long as you let Rangle, jackson and sharpton speak for you you will have lost it all.

Your call not mine.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The historical facts are slavery lasted 76 years under American rule of law. Facts are the whining hasn't stopped since and is coming up on double the years.

What so far has been gained by the whining? The more blacks whine the less whites care. We whites don't care about the race card. We just don't care.

Rangle, sharpton and jackson make us sick. You have yourselves to blame. Blacks took blacks in ancient times and sold blacks as slaves to the world market.

Most of the known world has had slavery in the past times and yet the only ones whining are American blacks in the USA today. The rest of the worlds blacks got over it and no longer have this as a stumbling block in their way. It isn't whites that need to adjust, it's American Blacks.

The only way things will change is when you blacks address the current social problems you have and quite blaming other races and peoples.

I have no dog in the fight and never did. I am just blunt. I have been to most all the islands off Fla and the Carolinas and have seen other kinds of blacks and they are not like American blacks a bit. They don't like American blacks either. The American blacks are seen as weak and uneducated by the islanders... hey it is what it is, and i don't get to make the rules.

I don't feel any guilt. I never had any slaves. So far as i know none of my family had any slaves. The facts are American blacks are blaming the USA for all time slavery which is a joke. As i stated slavery under American rule of law existed because it was legal around the known world from ther dawn of man, till passing now in fact, but under American rule of law slavery ended in 1865, and that is the fact.

American Blacks have whined and moaned about it ever since.

I can't make it stop, but you can, but you won't. I am just telling it like it is. You can continue to whine about what you never knew or you can get over it and move on.

I have fallen family all over the North American Continent in all wars and on both sides of them all back to Culloden so far as i can tell.

Modern history has it that Ft Ticonderoga was just always a nice place to picnic.
Please educate yourself about different groups of people before speaking. There were no "blacks" in ancient times. There were hundreds of African ethnic groups that had different customs. Some sold slaves. Other did not sell slaves and were taken forcibly. Others came as indentured laborers and ended up as slaves, while other did not.

Which islanders see American blacks as weak and uneducated? Stop making assumptions about large groups of people. It doesn't matter whether you have visited many of the islands. Are you from or do you have heritage in any of them? The perceptions held by Caribbean people vary, and some of those perceptions are in fact out of ignorance. Further, plenty Caribbean people understand that the mindsets that plenty in the region hold have to do with the fact that generally speaking we were able to have our own countries, allowing for a cultural regeneration without the constant, dominant presence of "whites" the way it was in the U.S. The dynamics in the Caribbean were very different.

Further, to act as though American whites do not need to improve their mentalities is utterly ridiculous. Generally speaking, they tend to have the bigger attitudes of entitlement than American "blacks" and don't even realize it.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:21 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Quote:
Huh what? Try Morgan Freeman..... Will Smith???? Ms C Rice?????? All sorts of American blacks who made the grade and do not whine because they are as equal as they will get and have millions of dollars to prove it. While i can't stand Obama he has made it, so has Holder.

When a black man can be the Pres you as a race have made it. But for so long as you let Rangle, jackson and sharpton speak for you you will have lost it all.

Your call not mine.
Obama is first-generation born American on his African side, and his mother is a white American. That is different that people who have a long legacy in this country. Stop this "you as a race" business.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,389 times
Quote:
I just don't 'feel bad about things i didn't do, and couldn't have done that occurred almost 100 years before i was born. if you want to make me guilty, choose a crime or something i did. Not something some on in another age that happens to be in my race did.

Like maybe blame blacks for taking blacks as spoils of war and selling them to any one willing to buy when slavery was just what happened to any conquered peoples.

Blacks did this to themselves and yet you want to blame me in the 2013? I don't think so.. I got a flat tire in Kansas City MO in a black ghetto and so i guess i should blame ALL Blacks for being nasty litter bugs. And i should also blame them ALL for being racist because it's safe to say while i was busy minding my own bee's wax there, fixing my bike I was accosted sort of by blacks who found my presence mostly un-welcome.

I didn't care much then either. I wasn't leaving on a flat, and I wasn't taking any Bull Chips from that mob either. I don't get my knickers wet very often.

Blacks make and create their own problems and i don't care. Slavery has nothing to do with it. it;s just the best excuse blacks can dream up and they began it with it by blacks taking black and selling blacks. I don't care blacks today don't like my opinions either. This has no effect on me.
Mac, as I said, I'm half white (German-American). Who am I going to blame for my black ancestors that worked as slaves in the antebellum South, myself?

But German-Americans in the early to mid 1800s were looked upon askance by their white American peers of Scottish, Welsh, and English descent. Because German-Americans (exceptions aside perhaps) did not keep slaves and were by and large abolitionists.

Therefore, you don't really find old Black-American families with German surnames. You find them with English, Welsh, and Scots-Irish surnames. Though I'm half black and half white (German-American) my surname, which I received from my Black-American father, is either Welsh or Scots-Irish according to what my brother surmised while doing a college paper on his family history.

Black slaves typically took the surname of their slave-master. As the surname is in a sense a person's "real name" identifying them as part of larger picture familial and/or ethnically. The surname can be used to signify property as well. A slave or woman taking the surname of a particular man. (Why some Latin and Carribean cultures used hyphens in surnames between a bride and groom for educated or prominent women.)

So, we don't completely escape history, and by appreciating that Michael Jackson's surname (or nose) is not particularly "African" or that treasonous colonists fighting against the British crown in North America won, does not blame anyone particularly as much as it helps frame the present inheritance through looking at the antecedents of what we term "America."

Unwritten rules are sometimes referred to as customs and other times more loosely as tradition. To understand the customs and traditions of today we sometimes have to look at what came before us.

There are some black people that always blame "The Man" (white men) for everything. I'm not one of them. And yeah... many contemporary sociological problems in the Black-American community are the fault of contemporary values or lack thereof in the Black-American community.

But certain things like Black-Americans being an ethnicity are far less Black-Americans "fault" than it is that of the White-Americans of the past that through their eugenics policies promoted and enforced racial segregation that went on all the way into the 1960s.

You didn't have that sort of policy in Latin America and that is why Amerindians and blacks that made it into the upper-middle-classes (though few of them) spoke and sounded just like any white Creole in Spanish and Portuguese speaking Latin America. Had Martin Luther King Jr. with his Ph.D. been living in Latin America he would have been living in neighborhoods of upper-middle-class whites, and he would have sounded just like them on the telephone. He would have had some dark skinned domestic servants cleaning his house and feeding his kids too.

Instead... even though MLK had a Ph.D. (few people have them today and even fewer people had doctoral degrees in the '50s and '60s) he lived among blacks. Therefore, if he spoke on the phone you could tell he was not white. Blacks in the U.S. had become a distinct ethnicity.

So no, I can't "blame" black Africans or the Spanish for that.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:12 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
Uh huh... very interesting response but still doesn't answer the question.

Just to refresh your memory:

Quote:
Who wants you to feel guilty?

Teaching facts makes you feel guilty? Why should historical facts be ignored because it makes people feel uncomfortable?

People want to pick and choose the history that gets taught because the truth doesn't make them feel good? Is that what this is about?
Why not answer instead of going on another off-topic rant?

So the history shouldn't be taught even though it's American history because you consider it to be "whining?" Also, what do Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and C. Rangle have to do with teaching accurate American history?

You seem to be confused about the topic.

Also, for someone who has no dog in the fight you certainly seem to care a whole lot. You're foaming at the mouth angry over an issue that you claim you don't care about and has no effect on you.

Finally, do you speak for and represent the entire white race? You use a whole lot of "we" and I guess by extension I represent every black person on Earth because you use a whole lot of "you" are to blame?

I find that funny.

Quote:
The historical facts are slavery lasted 76 years under American rule of law. Facts are the whining hasn't stopped since and is coming up on double the years.

What so far has been gained by the whining? The more blacks whine the less whites care. We whites don't care about the race card. We just don't care.

Rangle, sharpton and jackson make us sick. You have yourselves to blame. Blacks took blacks in ancient times and sold blacks as slaves to the world market.

Most of the known world has had slavery in the past times and yet the only ones whining are American blacks in the USA today. The rest of the worlds blacks got over it and no longer have this as a stumbling block in their way. It isn't whites that need to adjust, it's American Blacks.

The only way things will change is when you blacks address the current social problems you have and quite blaming other races and peoples.

I have no dog in the fight and never did. I am just blunt. I have been to most all the islands off Fla and the Carolinas and have seen other kinds of blacks and they are not like American blacks a bit. They don't like American blacks either. The American blacks are seen as weak and uneducated by the islanders... hey it is what it is, and i don't get to make the rules.

I don't feel any guilt. I never had any slaves. So far as i know none of my family had any slaves. The facts are American blacks are blaming the USA for all time slavery which is a joke. As i stated slavery under American rule of law existed because it was legal around the known world from ther dawn of man, till passing now in fact, but under American rule of law slavery ended in 1865, and that is the fact.

American Blacks have whined and moaned about it ever since.

I can't make it stop, but you can, but you won't. I am just telling it like it is. You can continue to whine about what you never knew or you can get over it and move on.

I have fallen family all over the North American Continent in all wars and on both sides of them all back to Culloden so far as i can tell.

Modern history has it that Ft Ticonderoga was just always a nice place to picnic.

That 1619 thing still has me rolling on the floor.....

Last edited by Jasper03; 08-28-2013 at 03:44 AM..

Old 08-28-2013, 12:47 PM

371 posts, read 425,816 times
Quote:

Your call not mine.
There is an article for that too.

The black president argument (2008- ) says that America is no longer a racist country because it has a black president.

For example, Dr Laura in her n-word radio rant used it as her main proof that whites are not racist:

We’ve got a black man as president, and we have more complaining about racism [from blacks] than ever. I mean, I think that’s hilarious. … Only 12 percent of the population’s black. Whites voted him in. … I really thought that once we had a black president, the attempt to demonize whites hating blacks would stop, but it seems to have grown, and I don’t get it. Yes, I do. It’s all about power.

Whites voted in Obama, so how can they be racists? Blacks need to shut the hell up and stop being so “hypersensitive” about things like whites using the n-word.

There is some truth to it: in January 2008 I never dreamed that Obama would win, in part because of how the Democratic Party mostly plays it boring-safe (Mondale, Kerry, Gore), in part because I thought enough whites were still too racist.

So being proved wrong I have to admit that whites are less racist than I thought.

On the other hand, contrary to what many believe, Obama lost the white vote. McCain not just won it, he won it by as much as 90% in some states. Obama became president by winning the black, Hispanic and young white vote and a healthy share of the older white vote.

Obama won among whites under 30, those born since 1978. Which is good news since it means the country should become less racist in the long run.

In the short run, though, racism seems to have grown worse. It seems like some whites feel they can be more openly racist now that a black man is president. Some older whites fear for “their” country in a way they did not fear for it when white Democrats were president. The tea baggers come to mind.

The idea that Obama could bring a post-racial world or is proof of one overlooks three things:

Most whites voted against Obama, some because they are against the whole idea of a black man becoming president.
You can vote for Obama and still be racist. After all, whites who marry black can still be racist and that is a much bigger commitment than voting.
Obama is only one man. Even as president his powers are limited. He has to work with Congress to get things done. Nor can he openly favour blacks.
Obama won the white vote among those who were brought up in a colour-blind way. They were taught that to see a man’s colour and hate him for it is wrong. On the other hand, they still stereotype blacks and look down on them in general. But that is just seeing the world the way it is, they think. It is not racist because there is no hatred in it. That is how post-racial they are.

Yea b*tch there is a whole site dedicated to fighting stupid racist/colorblind/ignorant white peoples arguments towards blacks.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:12 PM

371 posts, read 425,816 times
Read this and tell me we don't need a black history month, fool. @ Mac_Muz

"
Joshua Solomon
Tue 27 Aug 2013 by abagond
screen-shot-2013-02-10-at-3-42-36-pm

Joshua Solomon (c. 1974- ) was a White American university student who made himself look black in 1994 to see what it would be like. He was going to do it for about four months and visit different parts of the country. He only lasted a week.

We know of at least three other “black like me” cases:

1947: Ray Sprigle
1959: John Howard Griffin
1969: Grace Halsell
Griffin is the famous one: he wrote “Black Like Me” (1960). When Solomon read his book in high school he knew right then that he wanted to try it himself.

Solomon grew up in Silver Springs, Maryland and had plenty of black friends:

Whenever something went down, they always said it was racism. Education, jobs, crime, poverty, social misunderstandings – they blamed everything on color. “It’s a white man’s world,” they would say.

But he did not believe his black friends:

… secretly, inside, I’d always felt that many black people used racism as a crutch, an excuse. Couldn’t they just shrug off the rankings of ignorant people?

He did not believe Langston Hughes or Cornell West either.

So he went to a doctor who gave him pills to turn his white skin brown. The doctor warned him that it could lead to liver damage.

Solomon shaved the hair off his head but dressed the same, acted the same, talked the same. He had the same money and education. It was just his brown skin and bald head that was different (pictured above).

After about a month of taking pills his skin was dark enough for the doorman at his brother’s place in Baltimore to be rude and suspicious.

He travelled to Washington, DC, Atlanta and, like Griffin, Gainesville, Georgia.

As a white man he looks and smiles at white people and they smile back. But as a black man whites look away, lock their doors, assume he is dangerous or up to no good.

Shopping while black: One time a white person did not look away:

I went to a nearby drugstore, a white employee followed me around the store. At the drink refrigerator, I turned suddenly and stared right at her, letting her know that I knew what she was doing – shadowing me as if I were a potential thief. I’d hoped to embarrass her, but she didn’t flinch. She stared right back, hands on her hips.

The police would stop him even though he was just walking down the street minding his own business.

Restaurants would tell him they were full, even when they were not, restaurants where nearly everyone sitting down was – white.

White respect and friendliness that he took for granted was gone. Instead whites regarded him with disdain, even fear. He met a homeless white man, blond hair, blue eyes, who had almost nothing in this world: even he looked down on blacks!

By his second day in Gainesville he was in tears. It was just too much! He went back home to let the pills wear off and turn white again. *Clicks heels three times.*

"

Youtube of him talking to oprah:
A Man Changes His Skin Color from White to Black - Oprah - YouTube

Link from abagond Joshua Solomon | Abagond

Old 08-28-2013, 02:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,404,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
First I should mention that I think all history months based around a group of people is stupid. Why can't history just be taught as history? Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?

I think there's a double standard in our society. It's not racist for black history month to exist, but people would freak out if somebody tried to make a white history month, it's not racist for black people to be proud of being black, but it's considered racist if a white person is proud to be white?

Why is this?
There's no need for a "white history month." American history has largely been written and taught by white people.....as for a white person being "proud of being white"......that white person's actions related to being white determine whether or not he/she is a racist. When was the last time you were shamed for being white and when was the last time you or any of your relatives were "owned" by black people?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:22 PM

320 posts, read 578,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
First I should mention that I think all history months based around a group of people is stupid. Why can't history just be taught as history? Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?

I think there's a double standard in our society. It's not racist for black history month to exist, but people would freak out if somebody tried to make a white history month, it's not racist for black people to be proud of being black, but it's considered racist if a white person is proud to be white?

Why is this?

Because American History does not include black history. I already know that my kin were slaves.

Last edited by SawBoi; 08-28-2013 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: change word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies