Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:22 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times

Advertisements

I have multiple, varying opinions on Obama. There are things in which I agree with him, and things in which I disagree with him.

That being said, I believe that we need to have some level of respect for the office of the President. Obama is not a war criminal or a megalomaniac. He's a citizen who had some ideas for the country - some popular, some not so popular. It's okay to disagree with many, most, even all of his opinions (although I wonder if you have independent thinking skills if you disagree with all of Obama's opinions.)

What I see here, though, is far beyond that. There are taunts; statements that if you made in school, you'd get in trouble for bullying, statements that if you made in the workplace about co-workers you'd probably be fired for harassment. That isn't disagreement - that is vile, demeaning venom. Most of it has been aimed towards Obama and liberals here, but in fairness, I have seen it spewed towards conservatives and Republicans as well, and that is equally problematic.

What's going to happen is that defenders of reasonableness are going to leave, and what is going to be left is a bunch of hate-mongering in their own little circle. I'd like to see a place where we can discuss politics at an interesting and reasonable level. When I feel incensed enough that I feel I have to defend Obama as a human being, it has crossed a threshold that we shouldn't be crossing here.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:23 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Hoo boy, this will not end well.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:31 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I have multiple, varying opinions on Obama. There are things in which I agree with him, and things in which I disagree with him.

That being said, I believe that we need to have some level of respect for the office of the President. Obama is not a war criminal or a megalomaniac. He's a citizen who had some ideas for the country - some popular, some not so popular. It's okay to disagree with many, most, even all of his opinions (although I wonder if you have independent thinking skills if you disagree with all of Obama's opinions.)

What I see here, though, is far beyond that. There are taunts; statements that if you made in school, you'd get in trouble for bullying, statements that if you made in the workplace about co-workers you'd probably be fired for harassment. That isn't disagreement - that is vile, demeaning venom. Most of it has been aimed towards Obama and liberals here, but in fairness, I have seen it spewed towards conservatives and Republicans as well, and that is equally problematic.

What's going to happen is that defenders of reasonableness are going to leave, and what is going to be left is a bunch of hate-mongering in their own little circle. I'd like to see a place where we can discuss politics at an interesting and reasonable level. When I feel incensed enough that I feel I have to defend Obama as a human being, it has crossed a threshold that we shouldn't be crossing here.
The election of President Obama as the first black man to be elected President has caused the racists to come out of the woodwork. How can you have a reasonable political discussion with people who think he is a "Muslim" (as if that was such a bad thing) or worried about where he was born and his "birth Certificate"?

People who dislike President Obama focus on this trivial non-sense instead of his policies.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:34 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
The election of President Obama as the first black man to be elected President has caused the racists to come out of the woodwork. How can you have a reasonable political discussion with people who think he is a "Muslim" (as if that was such a bad thing) or worried about where he was born and his "birth Certificate"?

People who dislike President Obama focus on this trivial non-sense instead of his policies.
Ummm, no. I look at his policies and they are not good for this country. Anyone who says they are are just obsessed with the first black president. The country is in shambles and getting worse daily. If you ask me, there have been more racists on the black side that are showing their true colors now because they feel a sense of entitlement and protection with Obama and Holder at the helm.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 PM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
UH - it's just not about Obama. Both sides get ugly. Your join date says you were around for the Bush days and the first term of Obama when Bush was blamed for everything.

So I will assume you are including both sides in your request.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:40 PM

234 posts, read 184,663 times
Well, isn't that the point of these last two presidents?

See, in America, when elections are rigged or stolen, Americans just do nothing. Well, they whine... and claim coups happen in run-down despotisms but not America.

Years later, when the most obvious charlatan is put up on stage as the new 8 year emperor to continue the work of the previous appointee, Americans clamor for revenge or get angry at the affront. But they do nothing but harangue or worship.

And Americans are full of venom. Instinctively, they see what is happening here, pro- or anti- whomever, they know they are getting shafted. So they spit on or shield the presidential figurehead and so that is why we have the vitriol and the shocking words.

Americans have been ingrained with a lot of apparent lies about their system of government and since they have no recourse, and can see none to work toward or have the ability create any recourse, they act as children on the recess yard. Or they accept patience as a virtue and twiddle thumbs around. Is that such a surprise?

Old 08-23-2013, 02:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

He forgot all about the ones I agreed with him on.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:45 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Quote:
The election of President Obama as the first black man to be elected President has caused the racists to come out of the woodwork.
As expected in C-D, the race card gets played within the first two replies.

Did somebody complain that "what is going to be left is a bunch of hate-mongering in their own little circle."?

He was right.

Except that the rest of us - the reasonable people, who have concrete reasons for objecting to Obama's policies - haven't left yet. Why should we?

Old 08-23-2013, 02:46 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,130 times
Quote:

False. I dislike Obama for his policies.

As to the rest of your statement:

Old 08-23-2013, 02:48 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
race card in 4 ....3....oooppps only took 2.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies