Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
So every black person who is seen walking in Manhattan gets pulled over by the police? the NYPD must be the best police force in the world, because I would think that would be hard to do.
Everyone? No but enough are that there was a lawsuit with a judge ruling that it had to stop.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Everyone? No but enough are that there was a lawsuit with a judge ruling that it had to stop.

I've never been pulled over by the police for walking the streets. And I've lived in over 5 major cities. And I pretty black. As a matter of fact, I'm damn near blue black.

Bottomline, it's all in about how you carry yourself. Walk around like you have sense, and no one will bother you, especially in a place like NYC

Old 09-03-2013, 06:15 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
3% of the population commits 1/2 the murders, what's the deal here and how is this accepted?
Better question: What's the deal with this thread and why was it even created??

Old 09-03-2013, 06:15 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
I've never been pulled over by the police for walking the streets. And I've lived in over 5 major cities. And I pretty black. As a matter of fact, I'm damn near blue black.

Bottomline, it's all in about how you carry yourself. Walk around like you have sense, and no one will bother you, especially in a place like NYC
Not according to the courts. Besides, walking around goofy isn't against the law.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
I disagree. You CAN compare black murder rates in Toronto to murder rates to Winnipeg. I just did it for you in my previous post. You have a known quantity of blacks in Toronto and you have a known number of black murder victims. Do the per capita calculation (murder victims / black population * 100,000) and there's your answer. You then compare that number to the murder rates of other Canadian cities and the conclusion is obvious. Namely the largest concentration of blacks in Canada also is the most violent compared to anyone else. I don't know how much more simple it can get.
I disagree with you. I was comparing one city's Black population with another in relation to the crime rate, apples to apples, not apples to oranges. If you want to compare Toronto's Black population with something, compare it to another Black population in another city.

Quote:
There are 945,000 blacks TOTAL in Canada. Toronto has 400,000 of them which is 42.3% of them. Again this means Toronto has the largest concentration of blacks in ALL OF CANADA. You can combine all the blacks living in Quebec, BC, Alberta and Nova Scotia together and its STILL 30,000 short of the number living in Toronto. The point again is that the ONE SINGLE largest concentration of blacks is also the most violent. This is why per capita is great because it allows you to compare rates of crime and violence and other things even though what you're trying to compare may vary in population size.
If there are 945,000 Blacks in Canada, then you have to consider the amount of Blacks in the rest of Canada, not just the Blacks in the aforementioned provinces. Like you mentioned before, better to compare Toronto's Black population to the Black population in another city.

Quote:
I disagree. I feel a major reason why blacks in Toronto aren't more violent than they currently are is because of more policing and also because blacks in Toronto aren't concentrated in one or two areas all to themselves the way many black populations are in many US cities. IE there is no true black neighborhoods in Toronto, only neighborhoods that have a higher number of blacks living there, but with the same number or more non-blacks living in those same neighborhoods.

This to me is a big reason why we don't see even more black crime because as we've seen so often in US cities, a predominately black neighborhood or area breeds high crime rates. With blacks spread out and living among non-blacks in Toronto, this has an effect of lowering crime.

Why is Toronto's murder rate so low even with high black crime rates? Simple and obvious answer. 7% vs 93%. IE the high crime and murder from the 7% black population in Toronto is FAR offset by the 93% of non-blacks who commit very little crime and murder. That's why I said in my previous post that if Toronto had its 400,000 blacks removed from the city its murder rate would be INSANELY low. On the otherhand can you imagine if the population was 93% black and 7% non-black? Toronto would be SCREWED beyond belief and be as bad if not worse than Detroit or Baltimore in crime.
You have not considered a variable to this. The best and the brightest(or at least those who are hard workers) tend to spread out the most. Have you ever asked why that is?

And consider this. Your 7% Black vs 93% non Black still doesn't hold much water. It still doesn't explain Winnipeg, which is 2.7% Black and 97.3% non Black.

Quote:
And again, I NEVER said non-black cities and areas in Canada are all safe and have low crime. I agree that non-blacks commit crime as well. What I AM saying is that the ABSOLUTE WORSE cities with the highest crime rates in Canada are STILL LOWER than the amount of crime being committed by the single largest concentration of blacks in Canada.
I'm not talking about the single largest concentration of Blacks in Canada. You are.

Quote:
The reason why I 'obsess' about them is because they're the ONE AND ONLY GROUP of people that make an otherwise super safe and clean city less safe and more violent and ghetto the same as they did as when I lived in the US. I'm American and living in Toronto is far and away much better than any city I've lived in in the US, but I just can't help but get angry at the thought at how much safer and even less violent Toronto would be right now if blacks here didn't behave the same as they do in the US except on a smaller scale thankfully.

I interact with blacks everyday and see so many that seem to be decent folk. Especially young black males that I see working at their jobs earning money the right way and I keep wondering why can't all black males be like them and Toronto would be super safe and even better than it is now. So yes I do obsess with blacks because they prevent a great city like Toronto (and many cities in the US) from being even better than they currently are.
Well, I'm not you. The only time I ever obsess about Blacks is when I have to worry about other people complaining about Blacks all the time. How come I never think about it until people like you bring it up?

And consider this, if you interact with hardworking, decent Blacks everyday, why aren't you giving much attention to the Blacks who are doing decent things? This is what angers me about these race discussions. Black people like me get ignored. Black people like my father and some of my neighbors get ignored because we aren't the ones causing trouble. Because we get ignored, we get thrown under the bus along with those who actually do cause trouble. One might say "if you don't like it, stop acting like the stereotype". That is the thing. The ones who are concerned are not acting according to the stereotype. The ones who behave like fools seem not to care how they are perceived.

If you feel like Black people are so much trouble, and it appears that according to some of what you are saying, it insinuates you would rather see Blacks leave Toronto, what do you propose to do about that?

And I know I come off as defensive. Black people have basically been hated and complained about and hated for ages, dated back to the 19th century and before. I have to care what people say and think because it can affect ME.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I imagine most felt that way. Unfortunately those who did not get all the publicity.
The bad gets the most attention.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Wow followed around in a store? My God, how did you ever survive that. Imagine if you were chased by a dog!

Get over it. People are people. If someone wants to judge you because you're black, who cares. It's there right, even if it's founding on a good or bad basis. It's their right. Ive had women who didn't want to date me because I was black. Well if me being black was way more important to that woman that my individual values or character, then it's her right to judge me by that. I just know in the long run I dodged a bullet because I would never want to be with someone so superficial.

People are allowed to judge. When I see a pit bull, I tense up and get a little scared. That's my right to do it. He may be the friendliest pit bull on the planet, but I sure as hell am not about to find out.

Bottomline I use to think like you, that non black people were secretly judging me. Whether they are or not, it doesn't matter. I'm not going to let someone else ignorance ruin my day.

There are plenty of people in this world who will judge you by your character. In the corporate world, I've often have been the only black guy on my team. At the end of the day, my co-workers always respected me as the engineer I am, not because I was black. When I talk business, they see a person talking business, and they forget I'm black. Now do the recognize that I'm black, yes. But at the end of the day, it's pretty inconsequential to most people. The thing is my character and intelligence far outweight my skin color. It's really hard for anyone who knows me personally to even look at my skin color as a viable measure of what I'm all about.

you're only going to be judged by what you look like if who you are is of no value. If someone wants to think all blacks are criminals, let them. You trying to "educate them" isn't going to change their minds. It's already made up. you can't control how they think. Maybe if you spent more time developing your character, instead of living in the paranoia of being "judged", life will become much more happy and positive.

Just food for thought.
When you are the only Black person in the store, and you get followed around like a suspect, it feels demeaning, at least to me it does. And I've been chased by dogs before, pit bulls particularly. I am scared of dogs, fwiw.

Get over it? This is the way I see it. I feel like I never should be judged based on the stupidity of someone who happens to look like me. I am not the one telling other Black criminals to commit crimes.

I know not all non-Black people are judging. That being said, my point is that sometimes being judged can have serious consequences. I don't consider myself paranoid for being concerned.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,041,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I disagree with you. I was comparing one city's Black population with another in relation to the crime rate, apples to apples, not apples to oranges. If you want to compare Toronto's Black population with something, compare it to another Black population in another city.

If there are 945,000 Blacks in Canada, then you have to consider the amount of Blacks in the rest of Canada, not just the Blacks in the aforementioned provinces. Like you mentioned before, better to compare Toronto's Black population to the Black population in another city.
Here's your comparison:

Toronto has 400,000 blacks, Montreal has the next highest number of blacks with 147,000. That's alot fewer black males in Montreal to possibly be committing crime. I couldn't find much statistics for black crime in Montreal but there is this:

69% increase in black population in federal prisons | Columnists | Opinion | Winnipeg Sun

Black people make up about 2.5% of Canada’s population. Yet they now represent just over 9% of the federal inmate population, the report says. The majority of black inmates are incarcerated in Ontario — 60% — followed by Quebec at 18%.

So from this we know two things:

1. Just like in the US, blacks in Canada are WAY over represented in the prison population here.
2. The majority of black immates are incarcerated in Ontario and Quebec, which just happen to have the two largest populations of blacks in Canada. Coincidence?

So the two provinces with highest number of black people living there also have the highest number of black immates. You got your comparison. Now what?

Quote:
You have not considered a variable to this. The best and the brightest(or at least those who are hard workers) tend to spread out the most. Have you ever asked why that is?

And consider this. Your 7% Black vs 93% non Black still doesn't hold much water. It still doesn't explain Winnipeg, which is 2.7% Black and 97.3% non Black.
That's my point. Blacks are the most violent group in Canada which is why blacks as well as non-blacks who become successful want to move away from neighborhoods that have high concentrations of blacks.

And with regards to Winnipeg, as you said there are only 17,400 blacks or 2.7% living there which means there's very few black males total, which means relatively fewer crimes from the black community. Simple as that.

Quote:
Well, I'm not you. The only time I ever obsess about Blacks is when I have to worry about other people complaining about Blacks all the time. How come I never think about it until people like you bring it up?
You don't think about it because maybe you're black and perhaps you don't want to think negatively of your people? Isn't this perhaps part of the problem? IE blacks know there's a constant crime issue in their communities, but instead of dealing with it head on they just perpetually throw it on the backburner?

Quote:
And consider this, if you interact with hardworking, decent Blacks everyday, why aren't you giving much attention to the Blacks who are doing decent things? This is what angers me about these race discussions. Black people like me get ignored. Black people like my father and some of my neighbors get ignored because we aren't the ones causing trouble. Because we get ignored, we get thrown under the bus along with those who actually do cause trouble. One might say "if you don't like it, stop acting like the stereotype". That is the thing. The ones who are concerned are not acting according to the stereotype. The ones who behave like fools seem not to care how they are perceived.
I DO give attention and say as much that I'm glad that there are many blacks that do decent things. At the same time though, I find it kinda sad that its gotten to a point where blacks doing normal things (IE working hard, staying out of trouble) needs to be celebrated and highlighted in the first place. With any other race/ethnicity its nothing special because its the norm, but with blacks this needs to be stressed and highlighted in order counteract all violence and crime that comes from them.

Quote:
If you feel like Black people are so much trouble, and it appears that according to some of what you are saying, it insinuates you would rather see Blacks leave Toronto, what do you propose to do about that?

And I know I come off as defensive. Black people have basically been hated and complained about and hated for ages, dated back to the 19th century and before. I have to care what people say and think because it can affect ME.
The easy solution would be to ship most or all of them out of Toronto and have a city created for themselves. But this would only lead to higher crime rates once blacks become concentrated all in one place. This solution would be great for non-blacks living in Toronto as the problem group is gone, but it would be horrible for blacks because as stated, putting them all together is bad news.

The REAL solution though is simply what I've said numerous times before. Namely cracking down on young black males even harder and making even more of an effort to educate young black people to stop having kids at an early age and to take care of the kids they already have properly and to take school more seriously. This is the only long term solution I see for them.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlanynna View Post
Its got everything to do with bad parenting;
1. single moms
2. no show dads
3. letting your kids run the streets, just as long as they are out of your hair
4. teaching your kids that you have a disadvantage because of your color, instead of holding their feet to the fire.
This is very much a cultural thing and the civil right activist do nothing to help. They point fingers and never come up with a solution.
Every race has something to complain about. The only difference is, the rest of us have moved on

wait a minute hold on there................

Do you watch the local news? I know you've heard newscasters use these terms: disadvantaged youth, underrepresented, at risk..........to describe blacks.

I agree with your point but the media teaches this too.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Here's your comparison:

Toronto has 400,000 blacks, Montreal has the next highest number of blacks with 147,000. That's alot fewer black males in Montreal to possibly be committing crime. I couldn't find much statistics for black crime in Montreal but there is this:

69% increase in black population in federal prisons | Columnists | Opinion | Winnipeg Sun

Black people make up about 2.5% of Canada’s population. Yet they now represent just over 9% of the federal inmate population, the report says. The majority of black inmates are incarcerated in Ontario — 60% — followed by Quebec at 18%.

So from this we know two things:

1. Just like in the US, blacks in Canada are WAY over represented in the prison population here.
2. The majority of black immates are incarcerated in Ontario and Quebec, which just happen to have the two largest populations of blacks in Canada. Coincidence?

So the two provinces with highest number of black people living there also have the highest number of black immates. You got your comparison. Now what?

That's my point. Blacks are the most violent group in Canada which is why blacks as well as non-blacks who become successful want to move away from neighborhoods that have high concentrations of blacks.

And with regards to Winnipeg, as you said there are only 17,400 blacks or 2.7% living there which means there's very few black males total, which means relatively fewer crimes from the black community. Simple as that.

You don't think about it because maybe you're black and perhaps you don't want to think negatively of your people? Isn't this perhaps part of the problem? IE blacks know there's a constant crime issue in their communities, but instead of dealing with it head on they just perpetually throw it on the backburner?

I DO give attention and say as much that I'm glad that there are many blacks that do decent things. At the same time though, I find it kinda sad that its gotten to a point where blacks doing normal things (IE working hard, staying out of trouble) needs to be celebrated and highlighted in the first place. With any other race/ethnicity its nothing special because its the norm, but with blacks this needs to be stressed and highlighted in order counteract all violence and crime that comes from them.

The easy solution would be to ship most or all of them out of Toronto and have a city created for themselves. But this would only lead to higher crime rates once blacks become concentrated all in one place. This solution would be great for non-blacks living in Toronto as the problem group is gone, but it would be horrible for blacks because as stated, putting them all together is bad news.

The REAL solution though is simply what I've said numerous times before. Namely cracking down on young black males even harder and making even more of an effort to educate young black people to stop having kids at an early age and to take care of the kids they already have properly and to take school more seriously. This is the only long term solution I see for them.
So basically, you feel that Black people should be willing to be subjected to certain measures,even those who aren't involved in any crime? I will ask this again. What do I as a young Black male have to gain from being treated unfairly, especially if I haven't done anything to warrant being given the "special crackdown"? I won't be on board with it unless there is something in it for me. Selfish? Well, I look at it like this. I've never committed crimes, so I should not be subjected to such treatment, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies