Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:08 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,729,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
From our founding, public leaders have compromised on issues. Life is all about compromise. Spoiled brats believe that compromise is a bad thing.
really? so compromise on fundamentals is being a "spoiled brat"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 09:15 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Some things are cannot be compromised.
Like what?

Life is all about compromise. EVERYTHING can't be a 'fight to the death' battle; you can't die on every hill.

Everyone compromises. Each individual has a few absolutes, I would hope.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,902,306 times
Quote:
I was going to post this in the ''People of character" thread, but decided this article would get more attention in its own thread. Good read for all, why compromise is never a good idea.

Moral Compromise Is A-OK –
The only way our form of govermnet works is through compromise, last time we stopped compormising we had a civil war that cost more American lives than all the other wars we have been in combined. Compromise does not mean one has to give up their basic values it only means you are willing to give an inch so the other guy will do the same and resolution to issues can be attained.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:41 PM

31,949 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Quote:
I agree compromise is sometimes inevitable, it depends on the issue. For the most part, if you absolutely know you are right, then you should never compromise.
I do understand a person's belief but no one is absolutely right. You have to compromise to make things work. Just think of marriage. Does one spouse call all the shots while the other doesn't have a say. Of course not. And this is how government should work. If you want to make it then you need compromise. Unfortunately it doesn't

Old 08-24-2013, 10:02 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,355,764 times
I have mixed feelings on compromise. If you look at Clinton when he lost his parties majority he compromised with {R}s. And what did we get? China getting permanent MFN status, Nafta, and the commodities act. And a person could point to that legislation and say that it has lead to the problems we have today. Then you have Bush who compromised and worked with Ted Kennedy one of his favorite legislatures and they passed a unfunded Medicare part D and gave us NCLB more mandates for the states in education.

Sometimes I wonder if we would be better off with a compromise from both parties to do less.

But then again there is reality and I do not mind a compromise from the right as long as they get something in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies