Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What restrictions on voting do you favor?
Voter ID laws 68 77.27%
Civic literacy 19 21.59%
Literacy test 20 22.73%
IQ test 10 11.36%
Other 24 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkys10 View Post
Well, I'd already know felons can't vote, in certain circumstances, some can.

But what I do see in this forum is that some are blurring the lines between rights and privileges, and are not the same.
17th. amendment of our constitution.

Voting rights in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also see the voting rights act 1965
Simply calling an act a "right" doesnt make it a right. If voting was a right, you couldnt restrct felons from voting..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:17 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please show me where I said that!??
It's either deficits in short term memory or poor reading comprehension skills at work here, but I'll do my best to refresh your memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana
There's no point in passing a law that requires a bunch of waivers to make it work.
HENCE, "waivers are B-A-D, bad... except when they're not" (as in the case with Obamacare). Or are you claiming to not be a supporter of Obamacare?

Using your logic, we should not have passed Obamacare since waivers are being passed around like the crack pipe at an Occupy Movement sit-in.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:21 PM

878 posts, read 942,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
What common sense regulation on voting do you favor?

Feel free to list some of your views, and opinions
None. Restricting voting is un-American.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:39 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
happens all the time. had a next door neighbor that voted the way her husband told her to. this however is no reason to start restricting people's vote.
That is a different scenario.

She is competent enough and apparently trusts her husbands judgment on politics. I knew kids in college that voted for a certain candidate in 2000 because everyone else was on campus and they couldn't name a single position. They have the wherewithal, but choose to follow the herd. It happens all the time and can't really be eliminated.

If someone is legally insane...do they really have the wherewithal to make an informed decision?

If someone is severally cognitively impaired and cannot understand the difference between a Capital T and lowercase t can they really have the wherewithal to make an informed decision?

Why do we restrict a 17 year old's vote? Is it not because we judge minors to be unable to make an informed decision?

I would argue that the typical 17 year old can make a much better informed decision than someone that is 18+ and severely cognitively impaired or someone that is 18+ and legally insane. Do you disagree?

Quote:
I can do you better than that! I know two people who filled out mail-in ballots for their out of town (in one case out of state) college students. One is a known Republican.
Katiana, the point is not what party they vote for...(was there voter fraud involved?) Please address the topic...I'd like to hear your opinion.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,310 times
Quote:
I can do you better than that! I know two people who filled out mail-in ballots for their out of town (in one case out of state) college students. One is a known Republican.
Either side cheating is an argument for changing the voting laws.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:45 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am for restricting convicted felons, people with a dishonorable discharge from the military, illegals.
Elected reps/ officials should not be allowed to vote themselves pay raises, retirement packages or benefit packages. That should be put to the voter.
Voting age should be lowered to 16. Responsible enough to have a drivers license then they should be allowed to vote.

The last one may be a reason to raise the driving age to 18.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
I think voter ID laws are the best. Stupidity as always existed. The issue is we need to show ID for buying drinks, buying cigarettes and guns but voting we can just show our voter ID card and we are fine? Anyone else see the logical issue in there?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:03 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times
Voter ID laws are debatable.
The rest have been tried and found unconstitutional (violating the 14th, 15th, and 20th amendments).

Why is it that people that hold the Right to Bear Firearms as an absolute are also the most vocal about putting restrictions on the Right to Vote?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:47 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Voter ID laws are debatable.
The rest have been tried and found unconstitutional (violating the 14th, 15th, and 20th amendments).

Why is it that people that hold the Right to Bear Firearms as an absolute are also the most vocal about putting restrictions on the Right to Vote?
what part of shall not be infringed cant you not understand?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:48 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
None. Restricting voting is un-American.
So illegals should vote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies