U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-29-2007, 08:44 PM
 
11,127 posts, read 12,659,717 times
Reputation: 3676

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Good question. Seems we, the citizens, are not entitled to an honest answer.
Well Dream, sometimes we have to demand honest answers and hold their feet to the fire. After watching an invertebrate Democratic majority in Congress roll over at the first shove from a dogmatic and authoritarian administration that thinks it can either create its own laws in the executive or just pray its way to Utopian blissfulness, it is becoming clear that average everyday citizens will simply have to become more engaged in the political process.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,371,954 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
All the Republicans keep talking about is Tax Breaks, how is this war that is going to cost 1.6 trillion dollars by 2009 going to be paid for?

War costs could total $1.6 trillion by 2009, panel estimates - CNN.com
Last time I checked.. the Democrats are voting to continue funding the war, and a pretty good chance they will take over the Whitehouse next year.. so the question should be.. How do Democrats plan to pay for the war?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,396 posts, read 7,059,389 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Last time I checked.. the Democrats are voting to continue funding the war, and a pretty good chance they will take over the Whitehouse next year.. so the question should be.. How do Democrats plan to pay for the war?
That is a good question. The options appear to be raise taxes or continue to do nothing and just pass everything on to the next generations, as Bush has been doing.

Which is more fiscally responsible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 08:30 AM
 
9,738 posts, read 8,034,279 times
Reputation: 6343
The war has already been won! We won the war when Saddam Hussein was executed by the Iraqis after the trial that he refused to give to his victims.

We are staying in Iraq AT THEIR REQUEST to keep terrorists from taking over the country before the people can assemble their own govt that has been denied from them for the past 30+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,064 posts, read 40,832,224 times
Reputation: 29744
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The war has already been won! We won the war when Saddam Hussein was executed by the Iraqis after the trial that he refused to give to his victims.
And this has made us safer or benefitted the US exactly how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
We are staying in Iraq AT THEIR REQUEST to keep terrorists from taking over the country before the people can assemble their own govt that has been denied from them for the past 30+ years.
And that's why the lazy SOBs take a month's vacation? You'd think after being denied their own government for 30+ years they might be willing to work a bit.

Maybe it's time we learn to say: "We don't do requests"

As for paying for it I'd vote we demand Iraq pay the bills from future oil revenues or they're on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 09:06 AM
 
6,760 posts, read 10,412,707 times
Reputation: 2996
We pay for the war by bringing the troops home and then cutting government size. It will take years and years of tightly controlled spending and eliminating military policing of the world to allow us to make up the debt we have incurred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 09:09 AM
 
11,127 posts, read 12,659,717 times
Reputation: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
We pay for the war by bringing the troops home and then cutting government size. It will take years and years of tightly controlled spending and eliminating military policing of the world to allow us to make up the debt we have incurred.
I think we are just going to charge it to our grandchildren's livelihood. Isn't that the sheik thing to do?

If I didn't know better TnBound, that sounds like a familiar platform of this thin feller I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 09:20 AM
 
6,760 posts, read 10,412,707 times
Reputation: 2996
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
If I didn't know better TnBound, that sounds like a familiar platform of this thin feller I know.
Yeah, I think I've run across that suggestion somewhere recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,602 posts, read 33,591,161 times
Reputation: 51708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
All the Republicans keep talking about is Tax Breaks, how is this war that is going to cost 1.6 trillion dollars by 2009 going to be paid for?

War costs could total $1.6 trillion by 2009, panel estimates - CNN.com
Well, for starters we could sell Nancy Pelosi's plane and William Jefferson could loan us some of his freezer money...

Then there's the elimination of the Department of Education... Non funding for PBS... How much could we get by giving the UN the heave-ho?

I've got it! Fines for businesses who hire illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 10:58 AM
 
11,127 posts, read 12,659,717 times
Reputation: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, for starters we could sell Nancy Pelosi's plane and William Jefferson could loan us some of his freezer money...

Then there's the elimination of the Department of Education... Non funding for PBS... How much could we get by giving the UN the heave-ho?

I've got it! Fines for businesses who hire illegal aliens.
Laura, I heard they froze William Jefferson's assets, so those are not available.

While I agree with the whole idea of keeping taxes low, and I can't imagine many who might suggest otherwise but we to cut spending if we are going to cut revenue from taxes. Something Republicans and Democrats alike have had a bit of problem doing of late.

I would like to see either political party make greater efforts in reinvesting in America and by that I mean in our infrastructure, manufacturing sectors, technologies, and our own people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top