Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 01:42 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You lost me here. Who is President Faux? Didn't he go home to Guadalajara?

I lost myself there for a minute but edited my temporary lapse, it's been a rough day.

FAUX is the kindest way I could describe what Rupert Murdoch tries to pass off as news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 01:45 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I lost myself there for a minute but edited my temporary lapse, it's been a rough day.

FAUX is the kindest way I could describe what Rupert Murdoch tries to pass off as news.
It beats the hell out of what Keith Olberman, Katrina Vanden Heuvel and Al Franken try to pass off. In every way you can name.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:49 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Here's some ideas

Seize all of Halliburton's assets and sell them off.

Windfall oil taxes.

Windfall taxes on Blackwater and defense contractors, the corporations and their profits and then threaten additional taxes if they pass it of onto workers or consumers.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
It beats the hell out of what Keith Olberman, Katrina Vanden Heuvel and Al Franken try to pass off. In every way you can name.
I wouldn't know, don't watch them either.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
The Dem majority isn't so slim.

It's just dumb. And weak:

FOXNews.com - The Giant, Helpless, Pitiful Democratic Majority - FOX Fan
Were you just waiting for some minor point to insert your silly link?

If we had one less senator in the senate, we would not hold the majority. Seems pretty slim to me.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Here's some ideas

Windfall oil taxes.

Windfall taxes on Blackwater and defense contractors, the corporations and their profits and then threaten additional taxes if they pass it of onto workers or consumers.
I think we need to put the safe return of our troops at the head of the list of things to worry about.

After the Iraqi Parliament took their month's vacation while American men & women continued to be in harm's way 24/7 I was convinced there's little hope for long term solution there. If they value vacation more than getting their country in order, screw 'em, let them fend for themselves.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:50 PM

397 posts, read 264,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Here's some ideas

Windfall oil taxes.

sounds good, only these people are currently in control of the country, and unless we give the country back to the people like the forefather intended, we are just gonna have to suck it up and take it

And Haliburton moved its headquarters to United Arab Emierates I believe so I think they are exempt from any financialy responsibility, must be awesome for them

Old 12-04-2007, 05:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Anyone who looks at the issue knows that with the slim, slim majority the Dems have in congress, means that they can't do much until they a) get a higher majority, b) get a Dem in the Whitehouse, or.... both.
The checks do not AUTOMATICALLY get written without the Democrats writing the bills that authorize payments.. Tell me people dont think that things automatically get paid unless they are stopped.. Gees..

The fact that if there is not a Dem in the Whitehouse, or a higher majority only means that the Democrats can not write a check out for anything they want.. Similar to when Clinton was in charge and worked with the Republicans, the funding on the military stopped in addition to other conservative programs, they did not increase simply because there was opposing parties in office.

Our government and its finances usually works best with opposing parties in charge. Look at when the Democrats had a blank check, governmental programs went up. Republicans had everything, military spending went up.

There is no checks and balance unless there is opposing parties who compromise and when slim margins exist, federal expenses usually go down, not up as we see today.

Last edited by pghquest; 12-04-2007 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-04-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
As a Democrat, that's news to me.
From a paper that leans left..

Democrats Pledge to Restrain Spending - washingtonpost.com

Democrats Pledge to Restrain Spending

Critics Say Party's Goals Are Too Lofty

For the record, spending is up, not down.

Last edited by pghquest; 12-04-2007 at 05:17 PM..

Old 12-04-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Um does "regime change" mean "fly our troops into Iraq with guns, bombs and tanks". It seems to me, if that was Clinton's intent, he would have done so. But he didn't. So don't parse and twist history to suit your argument.

Regime change can mean anything. It doesn't necessarily mean deploying your troops.
Twist what I stated to make it seem that I stated Bill Clinton authorized war (we all know Hillary did) because that isnt what I said.

As for changing the US policy to outing a foreign country government, you seem to trivialize this as if Clinton was sitting at a desk one day and was bored, and simply went.. mmm, what government can I spent $100Million to help overthrow?

How much of that $100 Million went into weapons that then ended up being used against us? We all know we give weapons to governments for the purpose of assisting our allies, and numerous times those weapons have been used against us.. Thats just a trival fact though, yeah.. lets forget all about that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies