U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM

10,115 posts, read 2,914,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ok then I'll take your side.

If armed SROs have been in schools since Clinton they why did Obama rant on about the NRA's proposal to make sure each school had an armed SRO ?

Why parade Gabby Gifford out and about..why degrade the NRA, why all the hoopla about removing guns from the face of the US shores when Clinton had ok'd armed personnel in schools ?

You are now defending armed personnel which is taking the side of the NRA proposal.

Your state may have armed SROs in schools but I've only seen tasers on our SROs in schools.
WHERE did the president EVER rant about it being a bad idea to have professionally trained law enforcement in schools? He DID say that he was skeptical that armed guards were going to SOLVE the problem of school violence--that crazy people having access to guns is a lot bigger program than an armed guard is going to solve. Go look through my posts and find one incidence where I have EVER said that school resource officers were a bad idea. I think it's a great plan. I don't think it's going to stop every violent situation, but I think it will help in some. What most rational people think is that it's incredibly stupid to start arming relatively untrained teachers and administrators, or to go out and randomly hire some idiot, barely trained rent a cop who doesn't know what he's doing, and then turn him loose with a gun in a school. That's insane. More guns in schools doesn't mean NO guns. There's a big difference between working with law enforcement, which schools have done now for well over a decade, and civilians arming themselves to the teeth.

The only reason you're complaining about this is because the Obama administration came out in support of expanding an already existing program. You're trying to find a way to show some kind of inconsistency, but it's not there.

Last edited by mb1547; 08-27-2013 at 01:34 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You have read my posts wrong (your attempting to interpret my posts the way you see them, and you have been wrong), I am and have fully been for anyone who is trained in gunman ship to have a gun on them while in school, whether a teacher or an armed guard.

You talk about my babble, have you read your posts?
blah blah blah. You were wrong, you won't admit it, yet you won't stop. I'm done with you. Buh Bye!

Last edited by mb1547; 08-27-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 01:54 PM

14,969 posts, read 5,208,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
blah blah blah. You were wrong, you won't admit it, yet you won't stop. I'm done with you. Buh Bye!
Haha.....typical...proven wrong, you are obviously not up with what I am for. Now you are doing typical leftist tactics....

Oh, and BTW, many times on this very board I have stated that I am wrong and apologized....Something that you should learn to do. Instead of running away....

Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Ok then I'll take your side.

If armed SROs have been in schools since Clinton they why did Obama rant on about the NRA's proposal to make sure each school had an armed SRO ?Which state is the drunkest, nicest, ugliest, has the weirdest accent
Because that was the only option the NRA was offering to solve a very complex problem, plus they were offering some pretty crazy options, like arming teachers. My entire family hunts--just about everyone in this area is comfortable and familiar with firearms--and I think that we need common sense controls like consistent background checks, stronger support and intervention for the mentally ill, etc. The president didn't rant--he just said that he didn't think adding a security guard to every school was going to fix school violence. I think that an armed officer COULD help in a school shooting situation, but it's not a guarantee. They had armed scholl resource officers at Columbine, and it didn't stop that shooting. Where they are very helpful is in dealing with problem students, crime, fighting, and dealing with troubled students and homes which may need law enforcement intervention.

Quote:
Just because you have them in your schools doesn't meant the rest of the country has them as well.

Only now we will thanks to Obama and his funding.

The SROs in Texas are formed by the school districts not by the state.
The 5 districts I've worked in all had tasers, not guns hanging off their waists.
First, the funding is only for 1,000 officers. There are over 100 public schools in my county alone. That means that 10 medium sized metro areas could get the funding. That's hardly putting an officer in every school in the country.

Second, there are school resource officers in every state. Your school districts made the decision to have them carry tasers instead of guns. If your district doesn't want your SRO's to carry guns, then they won't. The grant program is VOLUNTARY. If you don't want an officer in your school through this program, then you don't have to apply for one. Chances are that you wouldn't get one, even if you did apply, because the pot of funds is so small. Our existing program is through the Sherrif's department for rural schools. Having an officer in the school helps, because we have to deal with a delayed response time out in the county if there is an emergency. As I keep saying--this isn't a new program. SCOs have been in schools since the Clinton administration. They're just adding in funding to create more of them.

Where I do give you a lot of credit is that you've never, NOT ONCE (at least that I remember) supported arming teachers. I can't say the same for some of the other far right conservatives on this board.

Last edited by mb1547; 08-27-2013 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies