Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 11:33 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,889,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Really what the heck are you shooting a 155mm?
I have no idea, but rounds for a 6.5x54 MS (mannlicher-schoenauer) don't come cheap if and when you can find them.

A box of just 20 new can eat up the better part of 50 bucks and with no sales tax.

That round is so rare gun experts who are pretty good gun experts have called me a liar.

Then when they get to see and handle that gun some serious back peddling is done.

In fact i have seen boxes of this new with the asking price of 70 bucks for just 20 rnds.

If you want to choke on ammo costs, and I mean before these current times when the stores had all money could buy, you should check out swagged 0.735 round ball! 20 of those and these are just for muskets would get steep in the wallet fast.

It's funny how things are now. The Buck is about WORTHLESS. I have cans of black powder ages old and the prices on these cans run $4.90ish for a pound. Today it's more like $23.99 a pound

I cast my round ball anymore, and have fun doing it. I cast 0.600 and 0.735 mainly, but will buy 0.390 still if they are swagged.

There are assorted other guns with big fast bullets. The key there is big and fast cost more, a lot more. Shooting a Weatherby in anything from .300 H&H and up, gets heavy in the wallet fast..

Another is the .338 lapua ammo which is around 85 to 150 bucks depending for a box of just 20 rnds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:41 AM

46,175 posts, read 26,890,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That's what he has been talking about.

I would say that if there is a tax on top of the sales tax the funding should go for poles, tar, and feathers. I assume you know what that is for.
I don't think he knows he is talking about that...

Old 08-29-2013, 11:52 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,028,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I don't think he knows he is talking about that...
I have stated over and over what I am talking about, sorry if you lack the ability to comprehend.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,750,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The tax wasn't what was unconstitutional in that case, it was the requiring to register his gun that was unconstitutional, which you can't tax someone to register a gun if that actual act of registering a gun is unconstitutional.

That case was about gun registration.
Where do you get that? It's not what the indictment said, and not what the judge said.

As the indictment says, Miller was indicted for not having the tax stamp. It never mentioned registration.

And the Federal District judge stated that Sec. 11 of the NFA was invalid, and was an unconstitutional infringement on Miller's 2nd amendment right.

Sec. 11 requires BOTH regsitration AND the tax stamp.

Since the indictment was for Miller's lack of the tax stamp, and not for registration, that is clearly what the judge was finding unconstitutional.

Nice try.

As I said, the 1934 NFA was found unconstitutional, because it required a tax stamp as a condition of people carrying the firearm in question, across a state line.

This is also interesting, because the original Constitution stated, of course, that Congress DID have the power to regulate interstate commerce. But when the 2nd amendment was ratified a few years later, it took away Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce in firearms. The District Court's treatment of the Miller case, affirms that.

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 08-29-2013 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Where do you get that? It's not what the indictment said, and not what the judge said.

As the indictment says, Miller was indicted for not having the tax stamp. It never mentioned registration.

And the Federal District judge stated that Sec. 11 of the NFA was invalid, and was an unconstitutional infringement on Miller's 2nd amendment right.

Sec. 11 requires BOTH regsitration AND the tax stamp.

Since the indictment was for Miller's lack of the tax stamp, and not for registration, that is clearly what the judge was finding unconstitutional.

Nice try.

As I said, the 1934 NFA was found unconstitutional, because it required a tax stamp as a condition of people carrying the firearm in question, across a state line.

This is also interesting, because the original Constitution stated, of course, that Congress DID have the power to regulate interstate commerce. But when the 2nd amendment was ratified a few years later, it took away Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce in firearms. The District Court's treatment of the Miller case, affirms that.
The tax stamp that they are referring to is about registration of guns. That is what it was called then. One would of had to pay a fee to be registered to own their gun. Unless you are trying to say registration isn't illegal and taxing people to register their guns is?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
The tax stamp that they are referring to is about registration of guns. That is what it was called then. One would of had to pay a fee to be registered to own their gun. Unless you are trying to say registration isn't illegal and taxing people to register their guns is?
You are missing a whole set of laws concerning machine guns and altered shot guns. You don't need a 200 dollar tax stamp for just any shot gun. But if you hacksaw off the barrels too short then you do.

But you shouldn't. I don't own any registered guns, and never did, much less ever will. While i have cut off several shot guns i have never cut one off too short or even close to too short. I always leave 1/4 inch to spare.

That was a crooked cop can't grind the barrel in the street and make it too short.

Thing is you KNOW nothing of guns. None of us can blame you for that, since in NJ it's almost impossible to own a legal gun, talk about infringed.

You should fund it's no wonder we laugh at you. Who wouldn't when for years they spume on about things they KNOW nothing about.

I could build a gun out of lawnmower parts that would scare the pants off you, and you wouldn't know it from a real gun.

The problem there is that same gun would scare the pants off most people working for the BSATFE, as they know very little of LAW or guns.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You are missing a whole set of laws concerning machine guns and altered shot guns. You don't need a 200 dollar tax stamp for just any shot gun. But if you hacksaw off the barrels too short then you do.

But you shouldn't. I don't own any registered guns, and never did, much less ever will. While i have cut off several shot guns i have never cut one off too short or even close to too short. I always leave 1/4 inch to spare.

That was a crooked cop can't grind the barrel in the street and make it too short.

Thing is you KNOW nothing of guns. None of us can blame you for that, since in NJ it's almost impossible to own a legal gun, talk about infringed.

You should fund it's no wonder we laugh at you. Who wouldn't when for years they spume on about things they KNOW nothing about.

I could build a gun out of lawnmower parts that would scare the pants off you, and you wouldn't know it from a real gun.

The problem there is that same gun would scare the pants off most people working for the BSATFE, as they know very little of LAW or guns.
So I see you have lost your argument and are resorting to dumb comments about "well you hate guns so you are wrong."

I am well aware what the tax stamp was for, I am also well aware of why the law was created in the first place. I have also seen the location of that event.

What is your obsession with New Jersey? You seem to need to make some random Jersey reference in each post.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:06 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,750,308 times
Quote:

Now we have the Democrats trying to impose high taxes on guns, in a remake of their 1934 NFA.

Ever since the huge windfall of the US v. Miller case at the Supreme Court (where the defense failed to show up for the trail, so the anti-gunners' lies got rubber-stamped into a Opinion), they have been very careful to NEVER re-introduce the Miller verdict before ANY courty that could possibly reverse it... because they know it wouldn't last five minutes.

Are they about to shoot themselves in the foot (pun intended), by introducing high taxes of the kind that have already been found unconstitutional once before?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
So I see you have lost your argument and are resorting to dumb comments about "well you hate guns so you are wrong."

I am well aware what the tax stamp was for, I am also well aware of why the law was created in the first place. I have also seen the location of that event.

What is your obsession with New Jersey? You seem to need to make some random Jersey reference in each post.
Oh Hell no. You lost the debate way back on my post 209. Since then i have either been explaining to you or just BS in around. I have you quoted where you lost it completely. The fact a gun like object made from old lawn mower parts is just stating the obvious, that is the fact you know nothing about guns in the first place.

We gun owners don't register guns.. There is one state and one state only so far as i know where hand guns get registered. That's NY. But for it they take 1 back ground check and never do it again.

For that reason these NY people can just walk in to a gun store and buy what ever hand gun they want, pay what ever is the same sales tax on a pair of socks as it is to a gun and walk out. The gun gets registered and a card goes on a long list of card holders the gun buyer has to show the cops i guess.

I have seen the comical and long card holders myself, but never bothered to register any of my hand guns when i spent a year in NY. Why in order to do so it would have taken 9 months!

I guess the poly tics in NY male and female think of themselves as mothers.

I am not subject to the LAW of NY whether or not i go there.

As to NJ I pass thru there as i please armed but i can't say i have any love of the place.

The point being you have no idea what a gun registry even is and why one exists for any guns.. No clue. By the way I never lost any argument with you to date, but you on the other hand have lost every single one.

Why don't you learn about what you are talking about before you open that mouth?

I just think you peaked out and are incapable of learning more.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Now we have the Democrats trying to impose high taxes on guns, in a remake of their 1934 NFA.

Ever since the huge windfall of the US v. Miller case at the Supreme Court (where the defense failed to show up for the trail, so the anti-gunners' lies got rubber-stamped into a Opinion), they have been very careful to NEVER re-introduce the Miller verdict before ANY courty that could possibly reverse it... because they know it wouldn't last five minutes.

Are they about to shoot themselves in the foot (pun intended), by introducing high taxes of the kind that have already been found unconstitutional once before?
Yeah man, some states are getting sick of the whine on higher up levels. The grabbers are about to lose it big time. never enough is going to come to never more .... They will get less.... We will get more Freedom back. The tide I mentioned years ago here is just starting to turn.

Obama is a idiot and has lost his mind on gun control. he has told so many lies he can't keep track of them anymore. Total waste of a man and of the Office.

I gave him a chance for seeing change, but i never once liked what i saw. Now i don't bother to hear him. If he comes on the tv i turn him down and look at antics and laugh. he does a great slap stick comody like Howdy Doodie if you have no sound.

His next big deal is stopping the importation of war relics..... again I guess that will keep bad guys from robbing corner lot stores with a garand

How many ways can we count on Stupid to become more Stupid? Can't he just shut up and go away.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies