Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,174,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I don't know, but I do know that months & months ago I was thinking we should do something about the bs that is going on over there. And I'm sure MANY were thinking the same....now that there is, all I see is hands flapping, fingers pointing & the tongue wagging from the usual suspects. BIG SURPRISE!!!!!!
Why should we be the ones to do something over there? We are not the only military in the world and quite frankly we need start fixing our own problems before we save the world.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:54 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,637,714 times
The fact that the use of chemical weapons is against the Geneva convention and we are not ignoring it. Its no different than any genocide when used on civilians. If the world knows and it does nothing then the world has same guilt as Germans in WWII and no room to talk.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Status: "On the road with Kid Charlamagne" (set 12 days ago)

8,018 posts, read 5,816,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Why should we be the ones to do something over there? We are not the only military in the world and quite frankly we need start fixing our own problems before we save the world.
That's my main complaint -- why is it always the US having to show military force? Can't we shunt this off to the UN?

And god knows you're right -- we've got far too many problems of our own right now to get involved in this.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:56 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,158,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
The larger issue is that there is NO upside to attacking anyone/anything in the Middle East. That region has been fighting for 1,000 years, and unless you wipe out the entire region, they will still be fighting years from now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well truly, I've thought of this on & off for years now. Frankly, any war if you really think about it is totally juvenile. "Oh yeah? Well we're going to kill more of YOU, what do you think about that??" It's just ridiculous. Nothing gets solved so what exactly is the point?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,632,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
The problem as I see it is that the Middle East has been fighting itself for 1,000 years -- WHY draw a line in the sand now over something that honestly does not concern us? I find it hard to believe this guy rode into office (partly) on a stance of ending the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan, and yet here he is, playing Internet tough guy.

I could see if Syria was actively bombing a US base, but this truly is not our business.
It is our business and it is the business end of Foreign Policy. We, with the help of a half dozen Arab countries and Israel are gonna take out Assad and his army. We are at war with Iran. Syria is just a battle. We're dealing with it.

Watch how one sided the vote is in Congress to support Obama's action.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Well truly, I've thought of this on & off for years now. Frankly, any war if you really think about it is totally juvenile. "Oh yeah? Well we're going to kill more of YOU, what do you think about that??" It's just ridiculous. Nothing gets solved so what exactly is the point?
No doubt -- because it's not like we can unleash a nuclear weapon to show how much we mean business.

Imagine Hiroshima happening in 2013.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
To show we won't let 3rd world thugs use WMD. To not do so is just giving Iran the green light to continue it's nuclear program but if we decisively show we have the will to put our money where our mouths are then Iran will have to think twice. To not do anything though would be interpreted by Iran as us being to weak and vacillating to stand up to their nuclear ambitions.
Oh you meant to say China's money right? Because we are pretty much paying the bills with borrowed money.
Why don't these 3rd world countries attack Russia or China?
Had our president not drawn a line in the sand and made threats there wouldn't be all this crow to eat now.
I'm sorry but quite frankly Syria is not worth 1 tax dollar, not worth risking 1 drop of American blood and certainly was never worth betting our credibility on them.
Obama likes to gamble, to bad he isn't very good at it.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It is our business and it is the business end of Foreign Policy. We, with the help of a half dozen Arab countries and Israel are gonna take out Assad and his army. We are at war with Iran. Syria is just a battle. We're dealing with it.

I don't know if it's going to be as one-sided as you think. I do think that this will result in a "yes" vote, but a reasonably close one.

Are we at war with Iran? We're not at war with Syria -- they are at war with themselves.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post

How exactly is a civil war in Syria any of our business? Foreign policy? The same policies that you know have just about bankrupted this nation, made a good percentage of the world hate us oh and has resulted in deaths far north of 100,000 people? That foreign policy?
last time I checked the world didn't take a vote and elect the USA the Worlds Sheriff.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:16 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,537,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I would really appreciate you either reading my whole post and not cherry pick and attack what you think that I said or at least ask for better clarification as to what you don't understand.

What I did was pose was scenarios and options I did I did not agree or disagree with any of them, so therefore I did not lie about anything because truthfully I don't know exactly what happen or what the president is going to do
No, you are not being truthful. This is what you said. I assume "him" is Assad.
Quote:
On the other hand, not doing anything basically gives the green light for him and other countries to start using chemical weapons on their enemies, which is a violation of international law

It is ridiculous to think Assad would be gassing his own people that support him, to what ends? As I pointed out, it is not him! It is the so-called rebels using these weapons. The only question might be, where did they get them? If we are to believe them, they say the Saudi's gave them this particular weaponry. They are being provided other weapons, money and training from the US (we call it aid), Qatar, and Saudi Arabia. The fighters themselves come from Libya, Jordan, and pretty much anywhere the MB has a foothold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies