Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/26/opinio...-problem/index.

This is an article by Peter Bergen of CNN which explains the "calculus" of any military action the U.S. might take toward Syria. It is not long, and it is informative

Andrew Roberts: Syria's Gas Attack on Civilization - WSJ.com

This is a lengthier, but not horribly long, article about why the U.S. will/should intervene militarily.

I have never wanted our forces to get involved in this. But the gassing of citizens, men, women and children is a heinous offense. I suspect that Assad feels he is not making progress, or is not doing so fast enough. So he murdered Syrian civilians. The second article puts him in the same class as Hitler and Mussolini.

At least after reading it I understand why the U. S. feels it must act. Apparently the government will use cruise missiles, not air power or boots on the ground. Even if you don't want our government to act, reading these pieces will help you understand why it is deemed important to do so.

I am on the fence on this. What do you think?

Old 08-27-2013, 12:00 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
People are gonna complain no matter what we do so I don't care what the public thinks.

I say just provide aid, set up medical centers, bring Syrian refugees to the United States

Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,364 times
Syria, a solution from heaven. Our military has become far to lazy.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:27 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Sure is a shame that we used up all our World Police capital on Iraq, isn't it?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Default President Obama will take care of this far better than any Republican

I think that President Obama and his fine staff are on top of this.

First, verify with absolute certainty that chemical weapons were used. Don't make a bunch of assumptions from inaccurate, unreliable, or incomplete data like Dubya did with the WMD claim in Iraq. Get the real scoop first. The President has done this as Kerry so effectively stated yesterday.

Second, garner support from the international community. If action must be taken, it is wise to not go it alone like Dubya did. "If you're not with us, you're against us!", "Wanted: Dead of Alive!" - this was Neanderthal diplomacy at its finest under the village idiot. If we are to employ military action, many nations will be involved. Many different mechanisms will be employed too, not just strictly relying on military action. Military action should be the last resort, or a small component of an overall course of action.

Third, craft an effective response. Not that stupid "shock and awe" military-only BS that Republicans drooled over during the Dubya years. Be smart, effective, and minimize putting our soldiers in harms way. President Obama is a highly intelligent President. He listens to all sides, invites views even from the opposition. I'm confident that whatever decision he makes, will be an effective one.

Because President Obama is at the helm, those who were responsible for those chemical weapons are in serious, serious trouble. This wouldn't be the case if Bush or any Republican were in office.

CHANGE...is coming to Syria.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 08-27-2013 at 01:46 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 01:33 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I think that President Obama and his fine staff are on top of this.

First, verify with absolute certainty that chemical weapons were used. Don't make a bunch of assumptions from inaccurate, unreliable, or incomplete data like Dubya did with the WMD claim in Iraq. Get the real scoop first. The President has done this as Kerry so effectively stated yesterday.

Second, garner support from the international community. If action must be taken, it is wise to not go it alone like Dubya did. "If you're not with us, you're against us!", "Wanted: Dead of Alive!" - this was Neanderthal diplomacy at its finest under the village idiot. If we are to employ military action, many nations will be involved. Many different mechanisms will be employed too, not just strictly relying on military action. Military action should be the last resort, or a small component of an overall course of action.

Third, craft an effective response. Not that stupid "shock and awe" military-only BS that Republicans drooled over during the Dubya years. Be smart, effective, and minimize putting our soldiers in harms way. President Obama is a highly intelligent President. He listens to all sides, invites views even from the opposition. I'm confident that whatever decision he makes, will be an effective one.

Because President Obama is at the helm, those who were responsible for those chemical weapons are in serious, serious trouble. This wouldn't be the case of Bush or any Republican were in office.

CHANGE...is coming to Syria.
Are you serious? Is this satire? Part of the reason Assad is doing this is because he thinks our current president is weak and that "redlines in the sand" are nothing more than blurbs to feed Obama's adoring media, so he isn't afraid of American reprisals. This is the ultimate no-win situation.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:38 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,237 times
You people are idiots. What in the world makes you think our long time failure of a government would handle a situation like this appropriately without causing more pain and suffering? Has it ever? NO

Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Die by drone, kill thousands of innocent citizens - USA stamp of approval.
Die by chemical warfare - USA outraged.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 AM

577 posts, read 512,291 times
What Assad is doing has nothing to do with thinking President Obama is weak. Syria is a very diverse country and Assad's regime is a minority sect of the population that rules by force. It was only a matter of time before the the majority of the population rose up after seeing other countries in the area force a change in their governments.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Are you serious? Is this satire? Part of the reason Assad is doing this is because he thinks our current president is weak and that "redlines in the sand" are nothing more than blurbs to feed Obama's adoring media, so he isn't afraid of American reprisals. This is the ultimate no-win situation.
I didn't know that you personally talked to Assad and discussed this over blueberry muffins and twig tea.

Leave this matter to the heavy-hitters. President Obama and his staff. They are far more privy to the what's going on here than you are. There is no room here for the typical doomsday narrative from the clueless Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies