Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 03:19 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I'd like to see the source where you got your info. I showed you mine, now you show me yours.

Libya–United States relations are today cordial and cooperative, with particularly strong security cooperation only after the 2012 attack on the US liaison office or mission in Benghazi.[1] Furthermore, a Gallup poll conducted in March and April 2012 found that Libyans had "among the highest approval" of US leadership in the entire Middle East and North Africa region

Libya–United States relations - Ask.com Encyclopedia
Someone is painting an unrealistic picture of Libya today:

Quote:
On this day two years ago, Libyan rebels were transferring their government to Tripoli. However, the anniversary is marred by an acute parliamentary crisis, a severe economic slump and the country becoming the main base for Al-Qaeda in the Maghreb.

The euphoria of the revolution has all but gone now, as Libya finds itself mired in deep political crisis as well as economic turmoil.

“We do not feel the taste of happiness, security and stability,” a resident of Tripoli is cited as saying by Libya Herald, “nor did we have any benefit from the government. People are now feeling insecure and live in fear because of killings that are being witnessed all over Libya.”

“I am not sure that it will be right to assume that there is a government in Libya. There is no army, no police, armed militias are in control. There is violent chaos,” Yehudit Ronen, professor of political science at Bar Ilan University, told RT.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) says a wave of assassinations has killed dozens of politicians, activists, judges and members of security agencies.

“At least 51 people have died in a broadening wave of apparent political assassinations in the cities of Benghazi and Derna in volatile eastern Libya. Authorities have not prosecuted anyone for these crimes,” an HRW report of August 8 states.

Militias, representing diverse interests have impacted decision-making in Libya. Earlier this year armed groups held the Libyan Foreign Ministry and the Justice Ministry besieged, pushing through the Political Isolation law, according to which Gaddafi-era officials were denied the right to be part of the new government.

“All we hear is very troublesome, because we hear about clandestine detention centers, detention centers that are run by militias that are not accountable to anybody,” Juan Mendez, UN rapporteur on torture told RT.*

At least that was what an anonymous top Libyan intelligence official said in an interview to The Daily Beast.

“Libya has become AQIM’s [Al-Qaeda in the Lands of the Islamic Maghreb] headquarters,” the intelligence source was cited as saying.

Abayomi Azikiwe, editor of the Pan-Africa Newswire, predicts that the instability in the post-Gaddafi Libya will only get worse.

“This kind of revolution has been detrimental to the wellbeing of the Libyan people. What we’ve seen over the last few years is a total disruption of Libyan society. There’s no plan for the national restoration of Libya. Many of the key political players involved in an attempt to run Libya right now are divided over tribal, regional as well as political levels,” Azikiwe told RT.
Source: http://rt.com/news/libya-gaddafi-fall-anniversary-981/

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-31-2013, 03:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Where did the Syrians, regardless whether the regime or the opposition, get those lethal gases from in the first place? I doubt they made them themselves...

I don't think such an intervention will change anything. It will be yet another mess. And frankly, we don't even know which side used them. Oppositions are not exactly angels, either, as we know from the Arab Spring elsewhere. It would be dangerous to get involved and take sides down there based on wrong information, again.
I don't know, but my best guess would be Sadam.... Little late to ask him ain't it?

Old 08-31-2013, 03:21 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I'm sorry, but.............
BAAAAAWWWWWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

And I'm sure it's going to become an international, must do, hot holiday destination. Are there plans to build a Disneyworld soon?
I see the little rat terrier barks from the wings, saying nothing, adding nothing. It goes "Snark! Snark! Snark!!!
The amount of useful information I've gotten from any one of your posts wouldn't fill a thimble. You are nothing but cheap shots and fringe agenda flogging the dead horse. As I stated before, pitch in, be the solution, or get out of the way.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:22 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
America has always been the Beacon Of Hope for me. I am actually independent, but I don't see why a lefty or righty should not see it the same way. Judging by your posts, it is not the beacon for you.

BTW Have you ever made a non-partisan post? Just wondering.....

History here does not reflect this.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Opinion noted.
I wish someone would get that seditious, traitorous rag out of this respectable forum.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:30 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
You don't know that as a fact. It is just your supposition. My info I just placed in this post came from the weekend edition of the WSJ. Normally a newspaper with a conservative bent. If anybody has a subscription of the WSJ, i wish they would post the article for reference and the good maps of Syria and the players.

Seems your blood pressure is elevating. does this info harm your well being?
Oh, sorry. I didn't realize that supposition is a privilege you get to enjoy and not others and............and..........only your "info" counts because you say so. I also must remember that you have your finger on the pulse of what is happening via your contacts at DC.

I don't know about you, but I don't get "emotional" on a forum.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Someone is painting an unrealistic picture of Libya today:

Source: ?Violent chaos?: Libya in deep crisis 2 years since rebels took over ? RT News

Posted with TapaTalk
That's it!?!!?!!!? A Russian Opinion piece!?!?!?!?! What the hell????? That's all you got???? Nuts! I tell you, Nuts!!!!

Old 08-31-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Oh, sorry. I didn't realize that supposition is a privilege you get to enjoy and not others and............and..........only your "info" counts because you say so. I also must remember that you have your finger on the pulse of what is happening via your contacts at DC.

I don't know about you, but I don't get "emotional" on a forum.
I get it and stand corrected.

We all know by now that you hate Obama and disagree with everything he's ever done or tried to accomplish But really, the histrionics is getting a little stale.

FYI: My connections are family members who work for the United States Department of State. What are yours that make you such an authority on all things Obama?

Old 08-31-2013, 03:37 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Maybe the Saudis ought to go in on their own.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:41 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
Quote:
That's it!?!!?!!!? A Russian Opinion piece!?!?!?!?! What the hell????? That's all you got???? Nuts! I tell you, Nuts!!!!
All you posted was internet users opinions from Ask.com!!!!

OK...you need more?

Quote:
Libyan security officials say more than 1,000 detainees have escaped from a prison near the eastern city of Benghazi.

The mass escape happened on Saturday at Koyfiya prison, as protesters stormed the offices of Islamist-allied parties in Libya's main cities.

A security official from the prison said most of the inmates were being held on serious charges.
Benghazi on Saturday was the scene of violent protests against the offices of the Muslim Brotherhood in the city.

A gang of young people stormed the building, ransacking the premises following a night of protests against the Brotherhood.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...byan-jail.html

Quote:
TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — Libya's deputy prime minister says he has resigned due to failed government policies and deterioration of security following a string of assassinations.

The prime minister's office said Sunday it had accepted the resignation of Deputy Prime Minister Awad al-Barassi.

Al-Barassi announced the resignation late Saturday on his official Facebook page, saying that a "fearful number of assassinations of honorable people" stemmed from government policy failure.

The last week of July saw a series of assassinations, including those of a leading Libyan lawyer and activist and a former top official in the country's newly-formed security force.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...signs/2616109/

Need I bother to go on? I have many more if you want.

Posted with TapaTalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies