Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 03:49 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We have 10+ years of NCLB which didn't work.
Or maybe it did..we went from #2 in the world to #18.
Now we have RTT and Common Core which is worse than NCLB.

The folks in charge are not interested in fixing what they broke.
Common Core is not worse. People who say that have never read the standards. Particularly for reading and language arts, it's most certainly a step in the right direction, but I would never contend that fixing the problem mostly involves tweaking the national standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Unless everyone gets a voucher this type of program should not be allowed.
The school itself has to be graded as failing.
That's part of NCLB.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:55 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
NCLB was Ted Kennedy's signature program which he got Bush to sign onto because Laura was an advocate for improvement in education.

Bush gets ridiculed for it nonetheless even though it was a show of bi-partisanship and not really his idea.

It sure beat simply throwing money at the problem as was what has always been done with the same old disappointing results.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-27-2013, 07:44 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Giving poor kids an insufficient stipend to ship them off to for-profit schools does not amount to "helping disadvantaged students."

Between prison and "school choice," right-wingers have stumbled upon a much more effective means of segregating the races than Jim Crow laws. On top of it, they get to privatize even more and try to chip away at the basic precept of American culture, that everyone is entitled to a free and public education.

Again, the reasons for my hatred...
Is poor a new race?

Old 08-28-2013, 04:54 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
I am all for disadvantaged children succeeding. The solution is not shipping some kids off to private schools with insufficient funds for tuition. You'll notice that no one has answered my question about how much each child will receive as a stipend and how long that money will run? The solution is fixing poor public schools. Many of the solutions will bother some of my fellow lefties, but that is the path to follow, not diverting some poor kids off to for-profit schools and leaving most of the rest in failing schools.

Where do you get that they have insufficient funds? A voucher covers the tuition to the school. At least here in Buffalo, public school buses bus our kids to school - catholic, private or public - I know many that go to Catholic schools 10-25 miles away from home - there is no extra charge levied on the parents.

I agree that all public schools need to be fixed - the No Tolerance program harms as many good kids as it does bad, being every child deserves an education - the bad kids disrupt the class so others can't learn - many teachers in poor areas have given up ect...

It's time to hold parents responsible for student behavior, institute a uniform program, you're bad - you're out - sending these kids to an alternative school isn't working - they're not learning anything there either.

Now with the teachers not having to be parents as well as teachers they can teach and if they don't measure up - they're let go.

It's not only our future that is suffering with the way things are but my taxpayer dollars are going down the tube. I'd much rather see my taxpayer dollars go to educating a bright, intelligent, hardworking kid at a good school where they can learn.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
The very last thing voucher programs are about is helping disadvantaged kids succeed. How naive can people possibly be?
The voucher program is for the worst schools which generally are in the poorest districts. How ignorant of the facts could you be?

Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Unless everyone gets a voucher this type of program should not be allowed.
Agree but the most common complaint from the left is vouchers are a gift to rich people, by going this route you've killed just about every liberal argument there is. You can expand the program in the future to all students.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Common Core is not worse. People who say that have never read the standards. Particularly for reading and language arts, it's most certainly a step in the right direction, but I would never contend that fixing the problem mostly involves tweaking the national standards.
Common core triples the amount of standardized testing.
Common core puts 100% of student failure blame on teachers.

Children's brains develop at different stages.
Common core practically throws Piaget's stages of development out the window for some subjects like Math.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
I wonder if anyone on MSNBC has addressed this issue?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:40 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Years ago I had a friend who was a music teacher in a public school. He was a liberal hippie type, complete with pillbox-type hat, and gray ponytail. One day somehow we got on the topic of school vouchers. To my surprise he supported the idea 100%. He said that our current system is an abomination. As I recall the way he put it was that having a voucher system of some form could open up whole new 'vistas' in education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies