Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And you lack the ability to comprehend what the topic is. Or maybe you want to deflect because you are unable to defend your arguments. No, legalizing more drugs is not going make other issues go away. It won't cause people to stop drinking, and it will not cause people to stop talking pills, and it will not stop wars. Let's not be naive.
Continuing to prohibit drugs won't do any of those things, either. However, legalizing will greatly reduce the violence which stems from turf wars among the drug dealers. Legalizing will also reduce the amount of money and manpower that is spent on persecuting, prosecuting, and incarcerating people who use drugs. Perhaps then law enforcement could actually concentrate on traffickers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:02 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
If you're a productive member of society, take care of your family, and not harming others, why does it matter how you unwind? As I've said... control freaks love themselves control of others!

Indeed, And I find those who seek to control the lives of others whether it be because of misconceptions due to propaganda or simply because they don't like someone elses choice to be dangerous people. Especially in a free country.
Authoritarians come in all shapes sizes and political persuasions. If they don't like it, nobody else should be allowed to have it either. Strange, but I guess they just can't help themselves.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:02 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Continuing to prohibit drugs won't do any of those things, either. However, legalizing will greatly reduce the violence which stems from turf wars among the drug dealers. Legalizing will also reduce the amount of money and manpower that is spent on persecuting, prosecuting, and incarcerating people who use drugs. Perhaps then law enforcement could actually concentrate on traffickers.
So you are against the war on drugs before you were for the war on drugs.

Law enforcement is concentrating on the traffickers. Its but one part of the total on eradicating this crap from society.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Law enforcement is concentrating on the traffickers. Its but one part of the total on eradicating this crap from society.
You mean like this kind of trafficker?

Quote:
Late last week, 53-year-old Michigan medical marijuana patient Jerry Duval received a Justice Department order to surrender to federal authorities on June 11th to begin serving a 10-year prison sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution in Elkton, Ohio. Although Duval is a kidney-pancreas transplant patient with coronary artery disease and a strict medication regimen, the Bureau of Prisons (BOP) ignored the recommendation of District Judge David M. Lawson at sentencing, that Duval be “placed in a Federal Medical Center or other facility deemed to be appropriate in consideration of the Defendant’s medical needs.â€
Michigan Bureau of Prisons Ignores Judge's Recommendation to Place Medical Marijuana Patient in Prison Medical Facility

Sounds like a real danger to society..

Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
What did he traffic in?

Sounds like a user, not a dope runner.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:

No, I've been against the War on Drugs since the beginning. The only thing that the War on Drugs does is drive up the cost of drugs and encourage violence. There are four entities which profit from the War on Drugs. Those four entities are the government, the corporate prison system, big pharma, and the cartels. The taxpayers don't benefit from it, because we're the ones footing the bill. Families of drug users don't benefit, because they are separated while the users spend time in prison for something that should be treated as a medical problem.

We've spent trillions of dollars and not made any significant dent in drug use.

Law enforcement concentrates on traffickers? Not hardly. The majority of people I know who have spent time in prison for drug charges were not traffickers. They merely got charged with what equates to a trafficking crime because they were in possession of enough of a controlled substance that they fell under the "intent to distribute" charges. There was no selling going on, there was no distribution going on, it was merely a matter of semantics. On a side note, most were imprisoned for marijuana, a natural substance that is only illegal due to racism and corporate cronyism. There is absolutely no logical argument in favor of keeping cannabis illegal.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
What did he traffic in?

Sounds like a user, not a dope runner.
Exactly. I was sarcastically responding to your claim that "Law enforcement is concentrating on the traffickers"..

Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Let LE actually focus on those who commit violent crimes. Now there's a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Authoritarians come in all shapes sizes and political persuasions. If they don't like it, nobody else should be allowed to have it either. Strange, but I guess they just can't help themselves.
They remind me of a child that throws a tantrum when they don't get their way.

Quote:

Too bad that the war on drugs is a farce, and hypocrisy at it's finest considering our government is playing both sides of the coin in growing the Prison Industrial Complex. Not to mention arming the cartels and allowing big banks to launder drug money for the cartels. Don't think it's happening then I have some swamp land in Arizona to sell you.

Quote:
No, I've been against the War on Drugs since the beginning. The only thing that the War on Drugs does is drive up the cost of drugs and encourage violence. There are four entities which profit from the War on Drugs. Those four entities are the government, the corporate prison system, big pharma, and the cartels. The taxpayers don't benefit from it, because we're the ones footing the bill. Families of drug users don't benefit, because they are separated while the users spend time in prison for something that should be treated as a medical problem.

We've spent trillions of dollars and not made any significant dent in drug use.

Law enforcement concentrates on traffickers? Not hardly. The majority of people I know who have spent time in prison for drug charges were not traffickers. They merely got charged with what equates to a trafficking crime because they were in possession of enough of a controlled substance that they fell under the "intent to distribute" charges. There was no selling going on, there was no distribution going on, it was merely a matter of semantics. On a side note, most were imprisoned for marijuana, a natural substance that is only illegal due to racism and corporate cronyism. There is absolutely no logical argument in favor of keeping cannabis illegal.

This pretty much sums it up.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:28 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Oh I don't. My brother died from alcohol at 49. So yeah, he was a loser leaving a 13 year old boy without a father. So I have no use for anyone who voluntarily screw themselves up.

booze is like 10 time more destructive than weed. I just quite smoking weed after 30 plus years no problem!!! no with drawls what's so ever, and I'm not quitting for ever I will smoke it again in the coming months. I quite to prove to myself how easy it is to quite for an extended period of time.. my brother is an alcoholic that quit drinking for 30 years and just started back up.. but seems to have quit for now.. in the 30 years he's been smoking pot and not drinking not once did he do anything stupid same here and he works 7 days a week to send his kids to private schools and collage.. stereo typing sucks I know plenty people that smoke weed that are professional people.. the way I see it if weed is legal less people will do hard drugs like alcohol, cocaine, heroin, prescript opiates....in all the years I smoked weed in never ever had an urge to do hard drugs.. I drink alcohol like once or twice a year mostly once a year at beach campouts and that's it..

Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Cato study you refer to looks at ONE AGE GROUP, and talks about their findings as if it covered the big picture, which it does not. It is a hugely dishonest way to present the findings, and unfortunately the media took that study and ran with it. I am not sure why Cato would resort to something like that, but it is a Libertarian think tank, and Libertarians have pushed for drug lagalization for a long time, so they might have twisted the facts to support their agenda. The Portugese hard numbers prove drug use increased, and hard drugs like cocaine doubled after the decriminalization.

Reported lifetimeuse of "all illicit drugs" increased from 7.8% to 12%, lifetime useof cannabis increased from 7.6% to 11.7%, cocaine use more than doubled, from0.9% to 1.9%, ecstasy nearly doubled from 0.7% to 1.3%, and heroin increasedfrom 0.7% to 1.1%. "NewDevelopment, Trends and in-depth information on selected issues
Who cares if usage increased? I bet alcohol use increased after prohibition. So what?

The real question is: did crime increase or decrease? It decreased. So it's a success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies