Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 02:47 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
iblack man down these days, it is the black man keeping himself down. the attitude in the black community has to change from, what can the government do for me, to one of, how far can i go, where can my skills and abilities take me? and if that isnt very far, then what do I need to do to make myself better?

and when blacks apply for jobs, instead of just listening to what the person says, they need to sell themselves to the person doing the hiring. they need to ask questions like what does your company need from me? if they get turned own from being hired, instead of complaining that the guy was racist, they should ask what can i do better next time? they can ask why they didnt get the job, and ask what might have helped them.

I have to wonder about you if you think that 50 cents or Herman are good role models. Merely because their beliefs might be conservative, and presumably in line with yours, doesnt make them positive. Indeed Allan Keyes is good onbly for comic relief. 50 Cents represents all that is wrong about young black males, even tho8ugh he ha snow rehabiliated himseldf, though I wonder to what extent he involves himself in educating his former peers that they are taking teh wrong path.

And by the way you need to know that the "blame whitey for all ills" is played out in 2013, especially among black college educated professionals. Maybe you get most of your info on blacks from FOX TV, and people like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly, who was shocked that blacks know how to behave in a restaurant, this when he was meeting All Sharpton. Must be if you really think that blacks who graduate from college want govt to help them, any more than any other American does. Or if they want any favors either.

Now as to blacks applying for jobs. Here we go into the "black deficit" model again. Without knowing anything you assume that they do not know how to sell themselves. Well the ones in the MBA study went to the same schools that the whites went to and would know the importance of presentation, and presenting themselves appropriately, and most likely what have done many work shops on this.

Maybe the potential employer was NOT consciously racist. Few are these days. Maybe he preferred to hire some one from within his network, and so known to him. Maybe he has in his head what a suitable candidate looks like (AngloSaxon male from an affluent background) and has difficulty ion broadening his perspective and needs help in this. Who knows. But to put all the blame on black MBAs, as a group, without having more information, seems a bit unfair dont you think.

And BTW as a black MBA, when asked, why we didnt get a job, the answer is often "lack of fit". What does that mean, especially if a follow up question queries whether the person dressed inappropriately, didnt present himself well, didnt have the right kind of experience, and the response remains vague around "fit"?

Old 08-30-2013, 02:48 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
How is giving one race priority consideration over another race regardless of other factors racism? You're seriously asking that question? AA is the very definition of racism. It's irrelevant which races have benefited from AA. Anytime anyone benefits from it, it is racism.

And when a gender benefits from it, it is sexism. Regardless of which gender is benefiting.
AGAIN! white women have benefitted from AA MORE THAN ANY OTHER GROUP. don't get the poster child confused with the reality. it is absolutely not "irrelevant which races have benefited from AA" when you are claiming it is a racist policy. geez

Old 08-30-2013, 02:51 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Of course I have an agenda.....its to here the answer to the question. I have read many statements on this forum of people implicitly or explicitly arguing that racism is not a real issue today, but just an excuse for blacks shortcomings. Thus, I am simply looking for the date or decade, and proof, that it ceased to be a real issue.
It will cease to be an issue when certain portions of the black community renounce entitlements and practice responsibility for ones life choices.
It will cease when certain portions of the black community take responsibility for their neighborhoods and take an active role in their schools.
It will cease when certain portions of the black community vote for their best interest and not check the box with the "D".
It will cease when the media stops sensationalizing every white against black crime and focuses more on the real problems with the communities.
It will stop when certain portions of the black community stop screaming racism at every turn.
It will stop when blacks are no longer given jobs or placement in college over more qualified whites.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
No defense? Making a point. Why are you so defensive? Do you think if a black person is doing the hiring, they are not going to discriminate? t.
Tell you what. If a black person works in a white environment they will not jeopardize their career by hiring an incompetent black. And if they run their own business neither will they jeopardize their company's success by doing this either.

So I dont know why you rationalize possible white bias against black job candidates by some imaginary notion that a black person will similarly discriminate against whites.

Just admit that there is a problem which may or may not be due to conscious racism, and that it is in the interest of EVERY ONE in this country, INCLUDING YOU, that the human resource potential of this nation is fully developed. Because we can no longer assume that every foreign professional, who is needed by employers in the USA, will be interested in living here.

Now argue against that.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Sorry, but his is all progaganda and hearsay...blacks crying poor me, no actual proof! Blacks can always do what other do, when feeling oppressed....they can immigrate elsewhere.

Affirmative action is still alive and kicking, a black person that barely got through a state school in many cases will be offered a job before the white person from a much better school, with better grades. White males still turned away from many top schools, particularly those majoring in sciences, mathematics, and engineering in favor of minorities, and women.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/us/01race.html?_r=0

those without facts....lie their azzes off.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
It will cease to be an issue when certain portions of the black community renounce entitlements
It will stop when blacks are no longer given jobs or placement in college over more qualified whites.

can you cite evidence that blacks are given more preference in employment. Cant as white men run virtually all aspects of life in the USA. Cant as colleges can no longer use race as the sole criteia for admissions. But then I notice you do not talk of athletes and others who get preference as well, many of them being white men.

As to entitlements. Well the largest are medicare, medicaid, social security and farm subsidies. Now tell all those white in the South that you are going to strip it away. Even Tea party supporters will chase you.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/us/01race.html?_r=0

those without facts....lie their azzes off.

yes MBA from Chicago and a job at JP Morgan.

Wonder how they will tie this to some notion that he showed up with his pants dragging around his knees.

Oh yes he is screaming racism, as he scrubs any evidence that he might be black from his resume!

Old 08-30-2013, 03:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I have to wonder about you if you think that 50 cents or Herman are good role models. Merely because their beliefs might be conservative, and presumably in line with yours, doesnt make them positive. Indeed Allan Keyes is good onbly for comic relief. 50 Cents represents all that is wrong about young black males, even tho8ugh he ha snow rehabiliated himseldf, though I wonder to what extent he involves himself in educating his former peers that they are taking teh wrong path.
this is exactly what i mean by conservative blacks being excoriated. herman cain is highly successful in all his endeavors. he turned around the pizza hut chain, does he get any credit for that? no he doesnt. and 50 cent, yes at one time he was a bad boy, but he has turned his life around, does he get any credit for that? no same with alan keyes and conde rice, and all the other black conservatives i listed, and many more that i didnt. these people get no credit for being successful, they only get crapped on by the liberal media and the black community. walter williams is a successful writer and radio talk show host, again he gets no credit from you or anyone else in the black community.

Quote:
And by the way you need to know that the "blame whitey for all ills" is played out in 2013, especially among black college educated professionals. Maybe you get most of your info on blacks from FOX TV, and people like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly, who was shocked that blacks know how to behave in a restaurant, this when he was meeting All Sharpton. Must be if you really think that blacks who graduate from college want govt to help them, any more than any other American does. Or if they want any favors either.
i get my info on blacks from those i know personally, contrary to popular opinion there are black people in arizona, and i have friends among them. see i dont care about the color of a person skin, i care about the content of their character. you are making assumptions in this part of your post that are unfounded.

Quote:
Now as to blacks applying for jobs. Here we go into the "black deficit" model again. Without knowing anything you assume that they do not know how to sell themselves. Well the ones in the MBA study went to the same schools that the whites went to and would know the importance of presentation, and presenting themselves appropriately, and most likely what have done many work shops on this.

Maybe the potential employer was NOT consciously racist. Few are these days. Maybe he preferred to hire some one from within his network, and so known to him. Maybe he has in his head what a suitable candidate looks like (AngloSaxon male from an affluent background) and has difficulty ion broadening his perspective and needs help in this. Who knows. But to put all the blame on black MBAs, as a group, without having more information, seems a bit unfair dont you think.

And BTW as a black MBA, when asked, why we didnt get a job, the answer is often "lack of fit". What does that mean, especially if a follow up question queries whether the person dressed inappropriately, didnt present himself well, didnt have the right kind of experience, and the response remains vague around "fit"?
as for the black deficit thing, i apply that not to just black people but people in general, including me.

as to the rest, lack of fit may mean you dont have the right attitude, or perhaps you are over qualified for the position, that strikes at a lot of people. take my brother for instance, he works at IBM, and has for 20 years. he almost didnt get hired there though because they though he was too smart for them. they thought he was going to start there and after training move on to another job. it happens far more than you think, even with college grads just out of school, and race doesnt matter.

so perhaps your masters degree is getting in the way, if you stayed with a bachelors degree you might have better success getting work in your field.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
, clarance thomas

Now this is as perfect an example of a black man who got a job for which he was not qualified. Alone among all the justices, even the newer ones like Sotomayor, Thomas almost never voices an opinion, or leads a ruling. Every time he votes exactly like Scalia.

He is only there because Thurgood Marshall retired and HW Bush wanted to ensure that he was replaced by a black man.

Thomas should be a screaming champion for affirmative action as he is a huge beneficiary of it, not least in terms of his current job.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Now this is as perfect an example of a black man who got a job for which he was not qualified. Alone among all the justices, even the newer ones like Sotomayor, Thomas almost never voices an opinion, or leads a ruling. Every time he votes exactly like Scalia.

He is only there because Thurgood Marshall retired and HW Bush wanted to ensure that he was replaced by a black man.

Thomas should be a screaming champion for affirmative action as he is a huge beneficiary of it, not least in terms of his current job.
ummm hmmm. exactly right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies