Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
and since I am a Giants fan I can make the Judgement that WWII was the last war we needed to fight.

I have two rings in the last 5 years

Seriously. The Korean War never officially ended, as it was only an armistice that was signed. As for Vietnam, we went there supposedly to stop the spread of communism. How did that work out? I mean, other than Cuba (who poses no threat to the US) it's not like we have a ton of communist countries over here, or one at our border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I truly wish we could do more for the people of Syria. It pains me that when someone actually uses chemical weapons, we no longer can do what should be done.

Instead we wasted our national credibility on a war in iraq for weapons that were never there.

This is why we shouldn't go to war just for no reason, we are now watching the fruits of our useless work.
I don't know what to think about Syria, mostly because nothing has actually happened. No strategy discussed.

I don't want to see more bombs or more fighting, but I never want to see it in the first place.

I have not supported an American military action in my lifetime except for one. I did support killing Osama bin Laden and destroying the organization responsible for 9/11.

So I would advise President Obama not to engage in military action, but then again that is nearly always what I'd advise.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
We truly wished we could do more for the people of Iraq at one time also. We did, but only half way because many here were content to complain and stiff and fetch about all the "war crimes" the RWNJ's were committing. So half measures left us where we are today. What do you mean when "someone "actually uses chemical weapons"? Saddam Hussein did actually use chemical weapons against his own people. I seem to recall there was talk then that Iraq's chemical weapons may have been spirited out of the country to.......Syria, at the time. Wonder where Syria got theirs from?

Why do you say we can no longer do what should be done? We can do anything at the risk of starting WW III. What do you propose?

We wasted our national "credibility" on a war for weapons that were never there? How did the those Kurds get gassed?

What just reason is there for war, specifically in Syria, at this time? Your'e the one that expressed a desire to "do something". Remember where YOU said......."I truly wish 'we' could do something for the people of Syria" What is it you wanted to do for them? Liberate them in the same manner we liberated the people of Iraq?

Your post seems disjointed, rambling, and doesn't lead in a coherent direction, at best.

Oh well, just blame Bush and go back to sleep. Just remember, the Democrats, historically, have always gotten us into the bloodiest of the big wars. This one will be on their hands, again.

YC.......
You have to remember that many posters on here that decry the Iraq war are too young to remember GWI. The situation in Iraq in the late 90s and Syria today are very similar. Saddam was brutal, and had killed even more of his own people than have died in Syria's civil war. Yet the very people that now are most outraged about our involvement in Iraq are the very bleeding hearts that support intervention in Syria.

IMO...the main reason for our involvement in Iraq was only peripherally related to the suffering of the Iraqi people, or WMDs. The main reason was rage over 9/11. We (and I include myself) were not satisfied that dropping some bombs in the Tora Bora mountains was sufficient response to that horrific attack. To the brutal murder of 3000 of our citizens, friends and neighbors. Saddam was a known bad guy, lets go whack him. 20/20 hindsight, was that a smart decision? No.

I disagree with picking sides in a civil war, even if one side has a really not nice guy as it's leader. Even if the people of that country are being mistreated. Sacrificing the lives of American servicemen...isn't worth it. We aren't the world's cops, and can't fix the world's problems. People have to take responsibility for their own futures and well being, without our intervention.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You have to remember that many posters on here that decry the Iraq war are too young to remember GWI. The situation in Iraq in the late 90s and Syria today are very similar. Saddam was brutal, and had killed even more of his own people than have died in Syria's civil war. Yet the very people that now are most outraged about our involvement in Iraq are the very bleeding hearts that support intervention in Syria.

IMO...the main reason for our involvement in Iraq was only peripherally related to the suffering of the Iraqi people, or WMDs. The main reason was rage over 9/11. We (and I include myself) were not satisfied that dropping some bombs in the Tora Bora mountains was sufficient response to that horrific attack. To the brutal murder of 3000 of our citizens, friends and neighbors. Saddam was a known bad guy, lets go whack him. 20/20 hindsight, was that a smart decision? No.

I disagree with picking sides in a civil war, even if one side has a really not nice guy as it's leader. Even if the people of that country are being mistreated. Sacrificing the lives of American servicemen...isn't worth it. We aren't the world's cops, and can't fix the world's problems. People have to take responsibility for their own futures and well being, without our intervention.

I agree. And I will emphasize again what you said! Sacrificing the lives of American servicemen isn't worth it! We fought a revolution in this country to break away from Great Britain. Let others figure out how to gain their own independence for once.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
and since I am a Giants fan I can make the Judgement that WWII was the last war we needed to fight.

I have two rings in the last 5 years
now you i just hate... LOL!!!!!

i still think you are wrong but i dont hate you for you war comment....

i hate you for your giants support! and your two rings! and your ownership that actually does things RIGHT! and.... oh i give up....

(sports hatred...not actual real hatred.... and sports hatred that causes me to laugh with you over it, and in no way is violent or unkind.... that kind of hate... LOL!) peace be unto you and 16 losses!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Nothing is so important as that America shall separate herself from the systems of Europe, and establish one of her own. Our circumstances, our pursuits, our interests, are distinct. The principles of our policy should be so also. All entanglements with that quarter of the globe should be avoided if we mean that peace and justice shall be the polar stars of the American societies. Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Nothing is so important as that America shall separate herself from the systems of Europe, and establish one of her own. Our circumstances, our pursuits, our interests, are distinct. The principles of our policy should be so also. All entanglements with that quarter of the globe should be avoided if we mean that peace and justice shall be the polar stars of the American societies. Thomas Jefferson

Nothing more needs to be said.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
You will have to excuse me Ferd, but I oppose all war unless there is a direct threat to our sovereignty. I've never bought into the "we have to fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here mentality." And given the circumstances with this country, it's time we focus on and fix our own house instead of trying to clean up the mess of others. Not to mention, we're becoming too much like an empire, and history shows that ALL empires fall. Sometimes very hard.
well, while we dont necessarily agree on the current situation, i can respect the principle you speak from.

however I would submit to you that the Cold War was actually a pretty hot war and that it was necessary and it was a fight for our very existance....

I would also suggest that Desert Storm was an unavoidable conflict that very much was in keeping with the idea of war to deal with direct evil.

I wont get into recent conflicts. I respect your view on that even though we arent on the same page....

I do very much agree that empires fall.... and they generally fall when they are forced into one expensive conflict after another...

we just may have reached the same conclusion from two very different starting points...

Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Welp, I reckon things has changed a mite since Tommy's day.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:43 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
WMD was only one reason for the war in Iraq. Liberation was another reason.
Oh, the Iraqi people are just so liberated now eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies