Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,254,276 times

Advertisements

Racism does still impact the lives of people today. My own boss admitted that he used to be racist and not like black people. He claimed it wasn't his fault cause his parents raised him that way, but now he says he likes black people. He hired me and is an okay dude, so I actually gave him a pass although he REALLY should have kept that to himself.

But there are still plenty of racist white people in this world and that is a fact.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:57 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,079,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Your point? I can find none. As usual. Just more obtusity and an overwhelming, but suppressed, desire to call me a racist when in reality you know the question being posed in the OP is logical. Just because you don't have the guts to ask these questions doesn't mean the discussion shouldn't be had.

Exit the thread if timidity prevents you from offering up a relevant point.

No, I was pretty clear on my point. You just shied away and used your old and pathetic diversion.

Again, if you're not black, how the hell would you know if black people are oppressed?

Simple question.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,526,234 times
Quote:
I've yet to hear a viable argument to confirm that black American's are oppressed in 2013.

Maybe someone can help me out by showing me how black people are still under the thumb of white oppressives in 2013?

Remember, even Jesus fault for income equality. That argument is at least 2,000 years old, therefore the last 50 years are not unlike those poor people that Jesus advocated for. Skin color, however, was irrelevant to Jesus. So why the focus on black people when it comes to income inequality? How about personal initiative, a strong work ethic, and a solid familial structure? Why do black people continue to struggle within this realm?

But most importantly, how exactly are black people still held captive by an alleged ongoing, oppressive majority in this country?

Why argue something that is NOT true.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,284,397 times
Quote:
I've yet to hear a viable argument to confirm that black American's are oppressed in 2013.

Maybe someone can help me out by showing me how black people are still under the thumb of white oppressives in 2013?

Remember, even Jesus fault for income equality. That argument is at least 2,000 years old, therefore the last 50 years are not unlike those poor people that Jesus advocated for. Skin color, however, was irrelevant to Jesus. So why the focus on black people when it comes to income inequality? How about personal initiative, a strong work ethic, and a solid familial structure? Why do black people continue to struggle within this realm?

But most importantly, how exactly are black people still held captive by an alleged ongoing, oppressive majority in this country?
People can have their feelings about anything. I say let's look at data.

If a broad group of black people have the same job skills or level of education as a broad group white Americans then in a nation that isn't discriminating, those broad groups of people who have the same job skills or level of education should end up in similar places in terms of unemployment, occupational achievement, wealth, residentially, etc. In other words, there shouldn't be these broad differences based on race when comparing groups of people who are similar in a nation that isn't racist or discriminatory.

Yet, based on objective reality, there are huge differences when comparing similar white and black groups of Americans. The unemployment is much higher for black Americans with similar job skills and education, than for white Americans, and on and on and on in every comparison one group does much, much, much better even though the groups on broad measures are similar.

This is the big problem, black people see it and live it. They don't need anyone to tell them that being white is a HUGE advantage in America, and the STATS objective STATS bare out this huge advantage.

Now, I think the vast majority of black Americans want to get theirs AS AMERICANS the same why white folks with similar skills get theirs.

For some reason, when white Americans talk race they don't want to talk about the ONE problem broadly speaking that I think black Americans care about.

Black on black crime or oow rates or bad culture can't explain why black people with college degrees have twice the unemployment rate as white folks with college degrees.

It can't explain why black people and white people in the same occupations have different levels of pay.

It can't explain why black people who start businesses have issues getting money and having access in all sorts of ways.

It can't explain why black people with high incomes live in poorer neighborhoods than poor white people.

Broadly speaking, if black Americans had the same levels of employment and pay as white Americans with similar job skills and education it would eliminate so much American poverty.

This is what black Americans want to discuss.

Instead we get the same old racist American narrative something is wrong with the black race garbage.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Racism does still impact the lives of people today. My own boss admitted that he used to be racist and not like black people. He claimed it wasn't his fault cause his parents raised him that way, but now he says he likes black people. He hired me and is an okay dude, so I actually gave him a pass although he REALLY should have kept that to himself.

But there are still plenty of racist white people in this world and that is a fact.
And there are just as many racist black people in this world. That is a fact, as well. So, i'm not sure I get your point.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,487,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
No, I was pretty clear on my point. You just shied away and used your old and pathetic diversion.

Again, if you're not black, how the hell would you know if black people are oppressed?

Simple question.
I'd like to ask a few people who'll be at the commemoration today what it feels like to be oppressed --- Oprah, Jamie Foxx, Forest Whitaker, Obama.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Why argue something that is NOT true.
What's not true? That black people are not oppressed? Or that black people are oppressed?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,466,073 times
Default Black People Were Oppressed In 1963. Black People Are Not Oppressed In 2013.

Quote:

White guys whining about blacks are undignified.

Please stop.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
People can have their feelings about anything. I say let's look at data.

If a broad group of black people have the same job skills or level of education as a broad group white Americans then in a nation that isn't discriminating, those broad groups of people who have the same job skills or level of education should end up in similar places in terms of unemployment, occupational achievement, wealth, residentially, etc. In other words, there shouldn't be these broad differences based on race when comparing groups of people who are similar in a nation that isn't racist or discriminatory.

Yet, based on objective reality, there are huge differences when comparing similar white and black groups of Americans. The unemployment is much higher for black Americans with similar job skills and education, than for white Americans, and on and on and on in every comparison one group does much, much, much better even though the groups on broad measures are similar.

This is the big problem, black people see it and live it. They don't need anyone to tell them that being white is a HUGE advantage in America, and the STATS objective STATS bare out this huge advantage.

Now, I think the vast majority of black Americans want to get theirs AS AMERICANS the same why white folks with similar skills get theirs.

For some reason, when white Americans talk race they don't want to talk about the ONE problem broadly speaking that I think black Americans care about.

Black on black crime or oow rates or bad culture can't explain why black people with college degrees have twice the unemployment rate as white folks with college degrees.

It can't explain why black people and white people in the same occupations have different levels of pay.

It can't explain why black people who start businesses have issues getting money and having access in all sorts of ways.

It can't explain why black people with high incomes live in poorer neighborhoods than poor white people.

Broadly speaking, if black Americans had the same levels of employment and pay as white Americans with similar job skills and education it would eliminate so much American poverty.

This is what black Americans want to discuss.

Instead we get the same old racist American narrative something is wrong with the black race garbage.
Finally, someone who was interested enough in the topic to provide a valid counterpoint. Well done!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,526,234 times
Quote:
What's not true? That black people are not oppressed? Or that black people are oppressed?
Are you puposely playing obtuse?

Quote:
Why argue something that is NOT TRUE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.