U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 PM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,144,158 times
Reputation: 9377

Advertisements

I've yet to hear a viable argument to confirm that black American's are oppressed in 2013.

Maybe someone can help me out by showing me how black people are still under the thumb of white oppressives in 2013?

Remember, even Jesus fault for income equality. That argument is at least 2,000 years old, therefore the last 50 years are not unlike those poor people that Jesus advocated for. Skin color, however, was irrelevant to Jesus. So why the focus on black people when it comes to income inequality? How about personal initiative, a strong work ethic, and a solid familial structure? Why do black people continue to struggle within this realm?

But most importantly, how exactly are black people still held captive by an alleged ongoing, oppressive majority in this country?

 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 PM
 
12,376 posts, read 6,865,585 times
Reputation: 5937
The only thing holding black people back today is black people and ignorance.

The only black people being "held back" today are those who either want to be held back or those who don't know what it means to live without being held back.
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 PM
 
8,659 posts, read 6,336,743 times
Reputation: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've yet to hear a viable argument to confirm that black American's are oppressed in 2013.

Maybe someone can help me out by showing me how black people are still under the thumb of white oppressives in 2013?

Remember, even Jesus fault for income equality. That argument is at least 2,000 years old, therefore the last 50 years are not unlike those poor people that Jesus advocated for. Skin color, however, was irrelevant to Jesus. So why the focus on black people when it comes to income inequality? How about personal initiative, a strong work ethic, and a solid familial structure? Why do black people continue to struggle within this realm?

But most importantly, how exactly are black people still held captive by an alleged ongoing, oppressive majority in this country?
Well that is a false argument because no one is claiming that black people are oppressed in 2013, not that I know of at least. What racism does today is to make RECOVERY from past oppression more difficult. Past racism has weakened the black social, cultural and economic immune system. Thus as America is infected with its own economic and moral decay as a nation, the reverberations for African Americans are more deadly because the impact of past racism upon blacks was not properly treated and now these “Complications” from racism have developed as a result.



PS.....you could have just responded to my post instead of this "reflective" rhetorical question you are asking to counter my question.
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,322,237 times
Reputation: 28965
Would y'all just grow up and give it a rest?
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Caribbean
6,948 posts, read 2,027,579 times
Reputation: 2499
Who specifically is arguing that all of these so-called "black" people are oppressed? How are these individuals defining oppression? Which "blacks" are they speaking of...the majority who are part of the American middle class?
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,001,259 times
Reputation: 9036
The more they get, the more than want.

Today, they have the same opportunities as anyone else. More, actually. Too bad they're proving themselves not worthy.
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 PM
 
6,863 posts, read 7,714,345 times
Reputation: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've yet to hear a viable argument to confirm that black American's are oppressed in 2013.

Maybe someone can help me out by showing me how black people are still under the thumb of white oppressives in 2013?

Remember, even Jesus fault for income equality. That argument is at least 2,000 years old, therefore the last 50 years are not unlike those poor people that Jesus advocated for. Skin color, however, was irrelevant to Jesus. So why the focus on black people when it comes to income inequality? How about personal initiative, a strong work ethic, and a solid familial structure? Why do black people continue to struggle within this realm?

But most importantly, how exactly are black people still held captive by an alleged ongoing, oppressive majority in this country?

Bias criminal justice system
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:56 PM
 
8,659 posts, read 6,336,743 times
Reputation: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Who specifically is arguing that all of these so-called "black" people are oppressed? How are these individuals defining oppression? Which "blacks" are they speaking of...the majority who are part of the American middle class?
Without the straw man.....they have no logical argument. They therefore must create a false premise, claim that the false premise represents the "black position", then make a valid argument given the premise. However, regardless how logical the inference is, based upon the premise, a false premise creates a false conclusion.
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:59 PM
 
8,659 posts, read 6,336,743 times
Reputation: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
The more they get, the more than want.

Today, they have the same opportunities as anyone else. More, actually. Too bad they're proving themselves not worthy.
That sounds like European colonizers if you ask me. They had Europe...but then they had to try to take the world.
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Oakland & Los Angeles, CA
174 posts, read 236,535 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've yet to hear a viable argument to confirm that black American's are oppressed in 2013.

Maybe someone can help me out by showing me how black people are still under the thumb of white oppressives in 2013?

Remember, even Jesus fault for income equality. That argument is at least 2,000 years old, therefore the last 50 years are not unlike those poor people that Jesus advocated for. Skin color, however, was irrelevant to Jesus. So why the focus on black people when it comes to income inequality? How about personal initiative, a strong work ethic, and a solid familial structure? Why do black people continue to struggle within this realm?

But most importantly, how exactly are black people still held captive by an alleged ongoing, oppressive majority in this country?
The better question is, why are you asking a question you have already created an answer for? Not that your answer has even an ounce of truth to it, but the sheer fact that you have listed all the reasons why you think Blacks aren't oppressed shows that this is not really a genuine inquiry into why this ethnic group may still feel oppressed, but is instead a subtle way for you to express your own beliefs under the guise of simply asking a question.

A huge part of the reason why this country is not able to adequately and effectively have a real conversation about race, is because folks like you come into a discussion ready to spew your beliefs without really listening to the reasons why any group (whether that be women, gays, Blacks, other ethnic minorities) may feel like they are oppressed.

I would strongly discourage folks from feeding into this thread, because it is clear that the OP is not interested in a balanced discussion on this, but is instead using this "question" as bait for him to assert his unsolicited opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top