Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:41 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Your assertion is that the mandate in the current law is there because of Republicans
You clearly haven't bothered to read what you were replying to, since I said more than that. I'll give you a hint: Republicans are only one of two reasons - the SECOND of two reasons - I gave. Now, CLICK HERE, read the messages you replied to, and come back and present a reply that shows that you did so, rather than just posting more propaganda.

Quote:
the fact is that without the mandate Obamacare collapses.
Here is a second item of proof that you didn't even bother to read what you were replying to, because immediately after the comment you replied to I wrote, "Then answer: What part of what I have written contradicts that point?" So now you have two things you need to do to prove that you're actually reading what you're replying to, before you reply to it.

I am awaiting your responses on both items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
People are just dealing with it.
Just like people are "dealing with" Medicare. And "dealing with" the street in front of their house. And "dealing with" all the other aspects of our government's operations. People who are intent on being upset will be. That's meaningless. The reality is that Romneycare is working, even if you don't like it.

Quote:
Most people in Mass. that I know or have spoken to, want to get out.
Anyone can claim anything, if they don't have to have normalized data to back up their claim, so your saying this is pretty much worthless. The reality is that a small percentage of folks here would like to leave, and the rest aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Why do you think Cruz is trying to kill Obamacare right now as their last stand?

He's knows it will work and people will like it.
This. ^^^^

Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Direct quote from Cruz.

His strategy is to get as many Americans as possible hooked on the subsidies, addicted to the sugar,” Cruz told a Kingwood Tea Party gathering. “If we get to Jan. 1, this thing is here forever.”
Wow, I hadn't seen that quote before. It explains the panic in the GOP to do anything, including shutting down the government, something they KNOW is a bad idea, to try to defund it before it can take hold. He really did tip his hand there and admit that they know people are going to like many parts of the ACA. Thanks for posting that.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:20 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
Excellent post, Iamme73.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Wow, I hadn't seen that quote before. It explains the panic in the GOP to do anything, including shutting down the government, something they KNOW is a bad idea, to try to defund it before it can take hold. He really did tip his hand there and admit that they know people are going to like many parts of the ACA. Thanks for posting that.
It is their basic belief. If conservative elected officials really thought so called Obamacare would be a disaster, while they certainly wouldn't want it implemented to hurt Americans, they'd have confidence that once implemented and they regained power, they'd be able to get rid of it.

This is only logical thinking, but conservatives know that the law will help millions of people get affordable health insurance and that people will like the benefits, now conservatives don't like this fact. Ted Cruz euphemistically calls this being addicted to sugar, but that clearly means he believes the law will work as advertised basically which to insure a lot Americans at affordable prices.

conservatives are lying to their constituents or at the very least misleading them.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You clearly haven't bothered to read what you were replying to, since I said more than that. I'll give you a hint: Republicans are only one of two reasons - the SECOND of two reasons - I gave. Now, CLICK HERE, read the messages you replied to, and come back and present a reply that shows that you did so, rather than just posting more propaganda

LOL, you have a short term memory and can't even remember what you posted.

Quote:
Good points, especially that the individual mandate - the most hated part of ACA - is exclusively a Republican tenet
It's not and never was. End of discussion.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Eventually they all will. The GOP is basically preying upon the fear of change but when ObamaCare ends up working just like RomneyCare did (they're virtually identical), with more people covered and lower average costs, there will eventually be a backlash against the GOP for their intransigence. They know it and that's why state after state is falling in line despite previous Republican grandstanding. Meanwhile the states which have worked hardest to expand coverage and educate people about how it works (California, Oregon, and New York come to mind) have seen double digit price DECREASES. The first price decreases in half a century.

It turns out increasing transparency and standardizing insurance plans to allow customers to easily compare prices between different competitors does indeed work and results in lower average prices just as the economists said it would. It's just yet another example of GOP talking points being completely out of synic with reality.
Nah, they are just going to claim that it was their idea all along and will roll out RomneyCare as the shining example of that truth. They'll argue that ObamaCare was simply a cheap copy of Republican thought and that they had to fight it with all their might because the Democratic implementation was imperfect. Another Republican idea that works!

Old 08-28-2013, 12:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
....they'd have confidence that once implemented and they regained power, they'd be able to get rid of it.
That's like saying you can get rid of SS, you can't it's not possible because we have 100 trillion in liabilities the next generations need to cover and they in turn are going to pile a up trillions more. . Once this train leaves the station it's a done deal. You cannot simply back out of it once it's begun.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
That's like saying you can get rid of SS, you can't it's not possible because we have 100 trillion in liabilities the next generations need to cover and they in turn are going to pile a up trillions more. . Once this train leaves the station it's a done deal. You cannot simply back out of it once it's begun.
Social Security was a program that was created in the 1930's. It will be solvent until the 2030's that's one hundred years of paying out full benefits, then after that point it will pay out 75%.

The reality is that social security and a long with a more recent creation Medicare keeps old people out of poverty which was the purpose of those programs. That is working. The fact that after 100 years you'll need to tweak some things with Social security funding is not social security failing, that is how everything human beings plan long term turn out.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:13 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Wrong!
People are just dealing with it (Romneycare). Most people in Mass. that I know or have spoken to, want to get out.
Poll: 'RomneyCare' Overwhelmingly Popular In Massachusetts | ThinkProgress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies