Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 05:58 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times

Advertisements

it seems that they are too short, and have sleeveless arms. So you can wear them in front of thousands of high school football fans, just not in school? Now, even I am impressed! At what, is a violation of this forum's terms of service....

Florida high schools banning cheerleaders' uniforms during school day

Quote:
Several Florida high schools are restricting or even banning their own cheerleading uniforms -- saying the skimpy skirts violate dress codes.
High schools in Pinellas County are not allowing cheerleaders to wear their uniforms during the school day because of the outfits' short skirt and sleeveless top, TampaBayTimes.com reported. For generations, cheerleaders have donned their gear during the school day for pep rallies before Friday night football games.
"If it's an approved school uniform -- which it was approved, by the administration, years ago -- why is it out of dress code?" Christine Johnson, whose daughter is a junior on Countryside's varsity squad, told TampaBayTimes.com. "And why can they wear it in front of thousands of people at a football field if they can't wear it on game day at school?"

Florida high schools banning cheerleaders' uniforms during school day | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Cheerleader outfits are considered costumes. They are not intended for everydaywear. You don't see Vegas dancers or strippers wearing their costumes to the grocery store.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:03 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Well on one hand it is obviously ridiculous. But it does make some sense in the fact that when they are performing as cheerleaders they are up on a stage or out on a field doing a routine. It doesn't send the same message as going about your daily activities in a miniskirt does. Now I'm not saying I agree with restricting them from wearing their uniforms. I think it's silly. But as to the contradictory nature of it, I do think there's a logical explanation for it.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Cheerleader outfits are considered costumes. They are not intended for everydaywear. You don't see Vegas dancers or strippers wearing their costumes to the grocery store.
Yes, it is a costume, but I remember cheerleaders wearing their "costumes" to school, to generate school spirit, doing cheers in the hallways and getting their schoolmates all cheering and ready for the football game that evening. It was more than just CHEER LEADING, it was school spirit, getting people together, getting interest in the sports teams, etc.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:26 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Are they going to ban the football players wearing jerseys in the school?

Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post

If that were the case, I'd do a lot more grocery shopping...

Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 AM

176 posts, read 520,723 times
Pinellas County Schools dress code:

Quote:
All shirts and blouses must cover midriff, back, sides, and all undergarments including bra straps at all times. All shirts, tops, and dresses shall have sleeves and cover the shoulder.
Quote:
Shorts, skirts, divided skirts, dresses and culottes are allowed. They must be mid-thigh length or
longer.
There should not be selective enforcement of school rules. What is applicable to Mary should be applicable to Cheerleader Sue, and vice versa. If the cheerleaders want to wear their uniforms during school hours, then they need to have the outfits fall within the rules. JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER STUDENTS MUST DO, abide by the school rules.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,612 times
I don't ever remember seeing a band member or football player wearing their uniforms to school before the Friday night contest, so why exempt cheerleaders because "it has always been done that way". Sometimes cheerleaders' skimpy attire is a distraction, and if it violates the dress code it should be banned. Rules should be applied equally or not at all.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Our middle school has the same rule. My daughter cheers, and I'm okay with it. Sure it would be fun for her to get to wear her uniform on game days, it's insanely competitive to make cheerleading at our school. And she worked really hard to make it, tumbling 4 days a week on top of soccer, chorus, scouts, and her other million activities, all while keeping a 4.0. But I understand that it violates the dress code.

Our football players don't wear their jerseys to school either. The guys wear ties on game days and the cheerleaders wear jersey looking shirts with jeans.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Well on one hand it is obviously ridiculous. But it does make some sense in the fact that when they are performing as cheerleaders they are up on a stage or out on a field doing a routine. It doesn't send the same message as going about your daily activities in a miniskirt does. Now I'm not saying I agree with restricting them from wearing their uniforms. I think it's silly. But as to the contradictory nature of it, I do think there's a logical explanation for it.

Only on Fridays, Morning pep-rally before the football game that night. They wore their uniforms all day. Usually with a sweater, as the classrooms were ice cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies