Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:57 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,826,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, considering that I can vote, eat wherever I want, live where I want, date who I want, and basically, I would have a better life today than I would have in 1963, I would say Dr. King did alot. Would you be willing to lead protests, get beaten over the head with a nightstick, nearly get stabbed, and basically put your life on the line so that everyone has the same rights? But I'm not surprised that you would attack Dr. King. It happened during the Dr. King holiday and it is happening now.
Guys like lionsgators would be standing for segregation and jim crow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 01:58 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,728,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, considering that I can vote, eat wherever I want, live where I want, date who I want, and basically, I would have a better life today than I would have in 1963, I would say Dr. King did alot. Would you be willing to lead protests, get beaten over the head with a nightstick, nearly get stabbed, and basically put your life on the line so that everyone has the same rights? But I'm not surprised that you would attack Dr. King. It happened during the Dr. King holiday and it is happening now.
I didn't attack him. I said he was overrated, which he is.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:59 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,415,854 times
Obama is out there pretening like he cares. The only reason he is speaking cause he is (half) black.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:59 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,728,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Guys like lionsgators would be standing for segregation and jim crow.
I wouldn't be standing for anything, because I have better things to do with my time. which brings me to another one of my points. what kind of people go to events like this? how bored must someone be?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:03 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,826,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I wouldn't be standing for anything, because I have better things to do with my time. which brings me to another one of my points. what kind of people go to events like this? how bored must someone be?
Like what? Spend all day on here posting comments about MLK to antagonize people?

Why am i not surprised that you would just sit on the sideline when black kids are being bombed and sprayed with hoses. (your words, you said you wouldn't stand for anything.)

Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,640,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Obama is out there pretening like he cares. The only reason he is speaking cause he is (half) black.
Black enough to cause many white people to hate him just because of that half.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,623,716 times
Quote:
How bored are YOU that you even care?

Some posters give me a such a gosh-durn good chuckle!

Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM

577 posts, read 510,796 times
This thread is proof of the racism that still exists in this country.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:10 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,233,135 times
I wonder what the thread title would have been had President Obama chosen to not speak today?

Something like "Obama snubs MLK" perhaps?

Damned if he does; damned if he doesn't.

Also, I haven't watched the coverage, but I thought I heard that Jimmy Carter and Clinton were in attendance; what about the other two surviving former presidents - Bush I and II?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:12 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:
I didn't attack him. I said he was overrated, which he is.
How? Would you have been willing to do what he did to ensure that Black people and everyone else got the same rights? He brought publicity to the issue of civil rights, he was the one marching, getting people organized to boycott places and protest the horrid treatment of blacks. He was willing to die for his cause. He was a leader in the Civil Rights movement. In fact, JFK didn't initially propose Civil Rights legislation until the firehose incident in Birmingham. Dr King was willing to go through all of that. He led the bus boycott in Montgomery. I was able to get things accomplished without using violence. Overrated? I don't see how being able to have the same rights and freedoms as everyone else is overrated, unless this is stuff that you are against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies