Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 03:30 PM

577 posts, read 512,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If that money was not generated in the US they have no reason to invest it in the US.
Coke is using their money to expand, just not in the US.

It's not up to corporations to "stimulate the economy". The government took over that job decades ago.
The U.S. is still the largest consumer market in the world for companies. Sure they are expanding into emerging markets, but the U.S. is still the cash cow for them. Food products may not be the best product to produce here and export (ie. coke), but many companies could build more of their products here and export it. So what exactly do you think the solution is to getting money back into this country instead of it going overseas and sitting in corporate bank accounts?

Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
The U.S. is still the largest consumer market in the world for companies. Sure they are expanding into emerging markets, but the U.S. is still the cash cow for them. Food products may not be the best product to produce here and export (ie. coke), but many companies could build more of their products here and export it. So what exactly do you think the solution is to getting money back into this country instead of it going overseas and sitting in corporate bank accounts?
I just showed you Coke's 1Q13 report.
The US sales volume was 1%, Thailand was 18%.

The US is not the cash cow everywhere.

Coke is NOT produced here for export.
It would be too expensive. Coke is $.53 in Thailand. I don't think I've seen a can of coke for less than $1.00 in quite a few years.

Look at the cost of goods in Thailand. They could not afford US made exports.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I also pointed out that Coke has $8 million in cash. That's hardly hoarding for a company that size.

The money is NOT coming back. Do you not get that yet ?
Globalization is going to be the great equalizer.
For us it will be painful because we have to come down in standard of living.

Last edited by Yac; 09-04-2013 at 06:14 AM..

Old 08-30-2013, 03:35 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
The thing most low minimum wage employees of all different companies
don't get, is that they are not worth that much pay out to the employer.

The employer only pays minimum wages because the
U.S. Government forces them to by law.

If the Government did not force them to pay them minimum wages
they would pay them less money per hour.
That isn't true. They'd pay what the market will bear. If a company offered $5, they'd have no takers, and go out of business for the lack of employees. For all the hate people hold toward the company, Walmart still pays more than minimum wage, with the average floor employee earning between $10 and $12 an hour.

Low wage employees better be careful, because companies will adjust to any forced hourly raises, just as they are lowering hours because of Obamacare. The unintended consequences almost seem intended.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I just showed you Coke's 1Q13 report.
The US sales volume was 1%, Thailand was 18%.

The US is not the cash cow everywhere.
I highly doubt 18% of Coke's sales are in Thailand and 1% in the U.S. Maybe you meant growth percent? Still the U.S. is the biggest consumer of their products. You really believe they also only have 8 million in cash on hand for a corporation that large?

Old 08-30-2013, 03:39 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,675 times
Im 52

I did it on a NAFTA grant and while i was doing that my wife got her Bachelors in Accounting on a Pell grant. After running CNC machine centers for years and losing my job I am now doing better than ever. Much better

Thats how

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
How old are you? ALL of the jobs/careers you listed require special training and education. Training and formal Education are not FREE. So how does an adult who lost a manufacturing job with a livable wage and is now working for minimum wage in the service industry or a WalMart type place going to pay for a college/university education, especially in the medical field? Can you tell me where one can get a formal education in "computers" these days for free? You seem to ignore that there are actually lots of college educated people out there these days who are unable to get jobs in their fields of study because there are so few of those jobs available. Btw, what makes you think that vet techs make more than minimum wage?????

Old 08-30-2013, 03:40 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
I highly doubt 18% of Coke's sales are in Thailand and 1% in the U.S. Maybe you meant growth percent? Still the U.S. is the biggest consumer of their products. You really believe they also only have 8 million in cash on hand for a corporation that large?
KO The Coca Cola Company has $4.36B in cash reserves.

I think he was referring to growth. The US is not a growth economy anymore.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I gave you a link to their official quarterly report.
They cannot lie in quarterly reports they file with the SEC.
Sales volume is what I posted.

Now company quarterly reports are made up because it hit you with a dose of reality ?

Sales volume in India was 8%

Go read a few of those multinational reports.
See for yourself where the money is being made.
Wake up to the reality that emerging nations are getting the money and keeping it there.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:45 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,675 times
Exactly what i did down to the major. And while i never put the actual degree in Computer networking to use stacked on op of my othe degrees it helped me land the job that has put me in a fianacially prosperous poisition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I'm over 40. That's all the information you'll get.

Have you ever heard of grants? There are quite a few of them, and many of them are made specifically for people who are under the poverty level. How does an adult who needs to educate themselves in order to enter a new field do it? The same way countless thousands have done it before them. They work their @**es off and do it.

Want a free education in computers? Simple. Go to the library. Check out the books and video courses on A+ Certification. There are also about a dozen online places you can go to get free video training in A+ Certification. Study until you feel like your brain is going to explode. Study some more. Go to the thrift shop and spend $20 on a computer that you can tear apart and put back together several times for hands on experience. Study some more. Save up the money to take the test (that part isn't free, it costs around $360 which is probably the best investment you'll ever make in yourself). Schedule the test, take the test, and go out and find a job in one of the fastest growing career fields in history. On a side note, this paragraph is written from personal experience. I did not go to school for computers, I did not have any formal training, and yet I still managed to get into the field. Excuses are excuses, and most of them are worthless.

So, there are college educated people who aren't working in their fields? There always have been. Without knowing what their degree is in, I can't tell you why they aren't following their dreams.

How do I know that vet techs make more than minimum wage? Because before I decided to study my ass off and get my A+ Certification I looked into the possibility of becoming a veterinary technician. Pay starts at around $28k and there is opportunity for advancement. No, you won't get rich as vet tech, but it's a whole lot better than flipping burgers for $15k a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Yeah that sounds a little more accurate! Point is they and the rest of the companies are sitting on tons of money. Pretty sad that they don't put just a little of that back into the good ole USA and get things cranking again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Yes, thanks for the correction.
Growth is occurring in the emerging countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies