Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 10:27 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,389,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You know jack **** about business, its painfully obvious..

Most businesses that start out dont see a dam dime in profits FOR YEARS...

So what you're suggesting is that we make it more difficult for smaller businesses to be created, which will decrease competition for both labor, and products, thus raising the prices of everything, increasing those "record profits" even more, while lowering the demand to pay good wages..

Yeah, thats beyond one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my entire life..

what else do you expect from liberals who believe that the primary purpose of a business is to provide people with jobs and any profits they make are a 'shared resource'.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:27 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Yes there is. It's called common sense. If the costs of running your business go up, the prices you charge for your services or products go up as well. This isn't rocket surgery, it's simple economics.

Doubling the wages of fast food workers, or even increasing those wages by 50%, is not going to remove them from the welfare roles for very long. It might temporarily give them enough of an income to be kicked out of the welfare programs - which wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for many of them - but as soon as the wages for jobs that actually require training and education adjust to the new normal these workers will be right back to where they are now. There is a reason that fast food is considered to be a dead-end job, after all.

If you truly want to help these people obtain a living wage, step back and look at the larger picture instead of focusing in on what you incorrectly perceive to be income inequality. The areas that you should be paying attention to are the insanely high cost of living (which your solution would actually cause to go up even farther), the ridiculous prices that are being charged for higher education, and the mentality that leads people to believe they should have equal outcome rather than equal opportunity.
Common sense also tells you that you can actually price yourself right out of the market. You raise those prices so much that no one will buy them, or so few will buy them that you will start to lose money. That's NOT a smart business strategy.

I've never advocated for income equality. I'm advocating for a fair minimum wage which at the very least keeps up with inflation and allows people to support themselves and their families without the need of pubic assistance programs and without making such a low income that they qualify for public assistance programs. Did you read any of the five links I put up in another post regarding minimum wage vs inflation?

Old 08-31-2013, 10:30 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Good grief, does every problem have to be Obama this and Obama that. This economy got to where it is now from 30 years of bad decisions by Democrats and Republicans. You need to go educate yourself on that tax statement you made. Go back and see what the tax rates have historically been for people and corporations over the past few decades.
I'm not busting my ass, taking on more responsibility of more employees for government to take such a huge chunk of money. As I said, screw that.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
You seem to be confused between minority equality and income equality.

Two totally different concepts.

People should have an equal chance at obtaining income equality....but it's up to them to make it happen once the playing field is equal to obtain it.

Posted with TapaTalk
Exactly and this is exactly the thinking liberals don't understand. They think someone who sits on the porch all day should get the same money as a doctor. But I doubt they personally would happily pay someone who they expect service from who doesn't provide it to them.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:38 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You know jack **** about business, its painfully obvious..

Most businesses that start out dont see a dam dime in profits FOR YEARS...

So what you're suggesting is that we make it more difficult for smaller businesses to be created, which will decrease competition for both labor, and products, thus raising the prices of everything, increasing those "record profits" even more, while lowering the demand to pay good wages..

Yeah, thats beyond one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my entire life..
And it is painfully obvious that you are so completely and deeply conditioned to be pro-business and anti-worker that you seem to know jack about the real world, or you choose to just relegate anyone who is not a business owner to the junk pile. That business model which you worship daily can in fact just price itself right out of the market if it follows to the logical conclusion that strategy. At some point people will STOP buying the products. Even the made in China products if the company selling those products raises the prices too high for the crap they are selling. People CANNOT pay money they don't have for "products" and "services."

Old 08-31-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And it is painfully obvious that you are so completely and deeply conditioned to be pro-business and anti-worker that you seem to know jack about the real world, or you choose to just relegate anyone who is not a business owner to the junk pile. That business model which you worship daily can in fact just price itself right out of the market if it follows to the logical conclusion that strategy. At some point people will STOP buying the products. Even the made in China products if the company selling those products raises the prices too high for the crap they are selling. People CANNOT pay money they don't have for "products" and "services."
And it is obvious you are so completely and deeply conditioned to be pro handout. Those workers have every opportunity to start and run their own business yet they won't, can't (oh where is Obama to help them build that?). Then they think they know what the hell they are talking about.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:41 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I say, not $15 an hour but $17.50, plus a limousine ride to and from work. And they can also use the same limos to take people to their "free" medical care--and stop for a free lunch on the way back. Oh, wait a minute, there is no such thing as a free lunch. The rest of it sounds good, though doesn't it?
I think the federal government should just give every American citizen $1,000,000, then we can all have a wonderful life and not have to worry about living wages, hungry children and people who can't afford health care.

Finally, that liberal Utopia could become our reality.

How do we pay for it? Simple, we just tax all the millionaires and billionaires. ,,

Old 08-31-2013, 10:42 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Quote:
It will come from the absurdly excessive PROFITS made by those companies/corporations. The "owners" and multimillionaires and billionaires can let go of a little tiny bit of their obscenely large profits in order to support their employees and communities by paying their employees enough money that they don't have to rely on your tax money for public assistance.
That's all very nice, but they'll raise prices to pass on the increased labor costs.

And if you are unlucky, it'll ignite a wage price spiral.

Why are leftists unable to grasp even basic economics?

Old 08-31-2013, 10:42 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Common sense also tells you that you can actually price yourself right out of the market. You raise those prices so much that no one will buy them, or so few will buy them that you will start to lose money. That's NOT a smart business strategy.
But thats EXACTLY what you've called for through this whole thread..

Why do you think we're losing jobs to overseas countries if not things like salaries, government regulations etc?

Old 08-31-2013, 10:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
I've never once seen a business that didnt generate profits without employees.

Maybe you can cite for me some examples of these phantom businesses which exist or individuals who are billionaires, which create wealth without employees.

Its ignorant fools like yourself who want to push businesses overseas, and then whine about it, causing this countries collapse..

Am I pro business, absolutely, I want them on every street corner, because I'm clearly smart enough to know that with more businesses, you get higher wages, better benefits, lower taxes, lower people living in poverty etc.

I've asked this question numerous times and have never received an answer from a left wing kook, so here it goes.

Provide for me ONE town that lifted theirself out of poverty, by increasing welfare, and not jobs.. JUST ONE..

There are probably 100K towns in this world, so it shouldnt be difficult for you to support your ideology that business profits are bad by citing an example that the alternative works..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies