Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 12:07 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times

Advertisements

I agree, campaign finance is the #1 issue facing the American voting public. As long as lobbies can purchase candidates the people will not be served.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Again, business are not social institutions. People in the community have a social responsibility to increase their job skills so they can get higher paying jobs. If you didn't do that then you are the failure.

The Government is supposed to provide for the General Welfare of all Citizens.
The Multinational Corporations and Banks that have to run to the government to rig the markets to their benefit are also a failure.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:08 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
First of all, "fees" plural does not require an apostrophe.

Actually, when I do need to hire a contractor to help me with my work, they are paid far more than minimum wage. Anymore suggestions?
An old conservative republican businessman told me once years and years ago, from what you make from your business, 1/3 is for you and you pay taxes out of that 1/3, another 1/3 goes back into your business and you pay taxes out of that 1/3, the last 1/3 goes to paying your help and they pay their taxes from that 1/3.

I doubt this formula is valid in this day and age, but I do know that most truckers, owner operators are paid between 30 to 33% of what is invoiced to the customer, and, most truckers receive a 1099 and pay their own payroll taxes, and some, if not most truckers receive a non taxable fuel allowance, only owner-operators. Some lessors have group insurance that truckers can sign on to, but they have to pay a portion and the company-lessor picks up another portion.

If the price for burgers - fast food were raised to $7.00 to $9.00, people would still buy them. I recall when cheeseburgers were 25 cents, do you think I stopped buying them when the price went up to $1.50 or $4.00? no.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:08 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
$4.00 Big Macs are already out of the price range for people making minimum wage of less than $8.00 per hour. A Big Mac would cost them half-an-hour of hard labor/work. That validates the point I've been trying to make here that the minimum wage has NOT KEPT UP WITH INFLATION, so in fact it is worth even less now. A point will be reached when people stop buying Big Macs if minimum wages stay the same.
Someone poor shouldn't be eating out anyway. That 4 bucks can buy a package of burger and buns.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:09 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Clearly you and ray do not understand what "social responsibility" means.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Someone poor shouldn't be eating out anyway. That 4 bucks can buy a package of burger and buns.
Again, thank you for making my point. The current Minimum wage which has not kept pace with inflation keeps people in poverty.

People making minimum wage are "poor people" and don't deserve any better; keep them in their places.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:17 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
Your solution doesnt lift anyone out of poverty but throws millions of others into poverty

Quote:
Again, thank you for making my point. The current Minimum wage which has not kept pace with inflation keeps people in poverty.

People making minimum wage are "poor people" and don't deserve any better; keep them in their places.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
$4.00 Big Macs are already out of the price range for people making minimum wage of less than $8.00 per hour. A Big Mac would cost them half-an-hour of hard labor/work. That validates the point I've been trying to make here that the minimum wage has NOT KEPT UP WITH INFLATION, so in fact it is worth even less now. A point will be reached when people stop buying Big Macs if minimum wages stay the same.
This is the same argument earlier about corporations hoarding money. The problem isn't they are hoarding. It's that the government gave them the money in the first place.

Now I have no problem with a bump of the minimum wage because of inflation but the problem is the governments policy to create inflation in the first place.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
An old conservative republican businessman told me once years and years ago, from what you make from your business, 1/3 is for you and you pay taxes out of that 1/3, another 1/3 goes back into your business and you pay taxes out of that 1/3, the last 1/3 goes to paying your help and they pay their taxes from that 1/3.

I doubt this formula is valid in this day and age, but I do know that most truckers, owner operators are paid between 30 to 33% of what is invoiced to the customer, and, most truckers receive a 1099 and pay their own payroll taxes, and some, if not most truckers receive a non taxable fuel allowance, only owner-operators. Some lessors have group insurance that truckers can sign on to, but they have to pay a portion and the company-lessor picks up another portion.

If the price for burgers - fast food were raised to $7.00 to $9.00, people would still buy them. I recall when cheeseburgers were 25 cents, do you think I stopped buying them when the price went up to $1.50 or $4.00? no.
Burgers priced at $7.00 to $9.00 would indeed cause many people to stop buying them at fast food places, especially if they are trying to survive on an income of less than $8.00 per hour. Minimum wage has not kept up with inflation. In order to do that it would have to be raised to a bit above $10.00 per hour.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
No, I'm not hiring people to do work for me in my business that is similar to fast food restaurants for the most part. However, I do pay the kid down the street far more than minimum wage to cut my grass, just as I would have to do if I hired a lawn service to do it.
The guy at the lawn service likely has a family to support and you are taking food out of his mouth.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Your solution doesnt lift anyone out of poverty but throws millions of others into poverty
Not true. Show us any evidence you can find that raising the minimum wage in the past has thrown "millions of others" into poverty. The problem is that the minimum wage has not been raised since 2009. Your insistence on NO CHANGE will indeed continue to cause more citizens to fall below the poverty line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies