Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 12:17 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

Action needs to be taken based on what? The use of chemical weapons? Or the fact that he said he would attack of chemical weapons were used (keeping his promise)?

I think the delay, where you say this is not needed to be done now, is a mistake. If he made a promise earlier - and now he is backtracking - that's weak. And other countries will see that. Plus - it will give those who have chemical weapons to move and store them out of sight.

SO many directions this can go in from a political perspective...

Last edited by DRob4JC; 08-31-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 12:22 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
At this point the ONLY international ally that is willing to support the US is France. If the US goes in without the blessing of the UN, no country is under any obligation to join a US coalition.

Just listened to his speech. With or without Congress, without the blessing of the UN, he will go it alone. He's confident that a one-off strike is going to do the trick. No open-end war. No boots on the ground. Clever little man. Should it go all wrong and Syria retaliates against a neighboring country and he decides it's necessary for the US to intervene and get into a war with Syria, and he is reminded about "no open-end war" and "no boots on the ground" he can revert back to "that related to the strike on Syria" and he would be telling the truth.
After all, a one off strike worked so well in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:27 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
What he said is that he would not take action until he presents his case to Congress. He's taking it to Congress because he is being pressured to do it. But he is still prepared to go without Congress' approval. I guess you weren't listening very well or your hearing aid has a malfunction.
Maybe when a full text is available you will be able to decipher what was said.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yes apparently I have moved from just a guy poster arond here to legend status. Who woulda thunk it? I wonder if I'll get one of those $500 rewards from CD for this new development? LOL

Obama is caught contradicitng everything he lied to us all about now if he goes in without support from our allies. He will most likely go on vacation or go play golf soon. Good riddance. Let Biden run the damn country. He's crazy enough to at least scare other countries into doing what we say. lol

Right now it appears he does not have very many allies on his side. Watched a program late last nite, half asleep. But they were talking about this and saying a lot of Countries don't trust Obama. Don't know truly if this is good or bad.

I don't know who the guy speaking was, but he said Obama has lost credibility around the globe. That can never be seen as good.

I do hope though, when he decides to go in, that we do have support from at least some of our allies, and that they will conisder their options. Going the alone route, can't be seen as being good.

At this point i do not think that other Countries see Obama as being a strong leader, and that can't be seen as good.

His speech seems to be different then that of Kerry.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:42 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
He wants to take action...
He just did.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
He just did.
Hee, Hee... certainly did! Just threw it directly into the lap of the do nothings.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:50 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well no sheet. The poll numbers and campaign contributions haven't been counted up yet. What a friggen joke this guy is.

President Obama: 'I Have Not Made a Decision' on Syria | PBS NewsHour | Aug. 28, 2013 | PBS

Grow a pair or go away. Maybe he's waiting on what cindy sheehan will do?
So you want him to drop us into another Bush war, with little forethought and no plans whatsoever on how to conclude it?

Be grateful President Obama is taking his time, slowly weighing all the options. He's saving you a lot of tax money and American lives with every hour he ponders, and it is far from certain that he will use military force at all right now.

You can't have it both ways, KU, and restraint takes a bigger pair than leaping into a fight where winning or losing is neither clear nor predictive. It seems very easy for you to want more American blood to be spilled to no good purpose, as long as it's not your blood that is spilled.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
So you want him to drop us into another Bush war, with little forethought and no plans whatsoever on how to conclude it?

Be grateful President Obama is taking his time, slowly weighing all the options. He's saving you a lot of tax money and American lives with every hour he ponders, and it is far from certain that he will use military force at all right now.

You can't have it both ways, KU, and restraint takes a bigger pair than leaping into a fight where winning or losing is neither clear nor predictive. It seems very easy for you to want more American blood to be spilled to no good purpose, as long as it's not your blood that is spilled.
He went against the majority of his security advisers to take this to Congress.... guess that's why he gets the big bucks, huh?

Old 08-31-2013, 01:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Hee, Hee... certainly did! Just threw it directly into the lap of the do nothings.
And if the so-called do nothings are wise then they will follow the lead of the entire world and vote no.
I find it amusing that a half hour after the UN rep says that the a Military solution is no option that Obama insists that it is.
Wasn't it Obama who ran on a platform that included working with the UN and not against it? But hey it isn't like he didn't warn Syria right?
What I have not heard yet is why it is our responsibility to do anything at all.
I have yet to see any evidence presented that it was Assad's admin that used chemical weapons.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
And if the so-called do nothings are wise then they will follow the lead of the entire world and vote no.
I find it amusing that a half hour after the UN rep says that the a Military solution is no option that Obama insists that it is.
Wasn't it Obama who ran on a platform that including working with the UN and not against it? But hey it isn't like he didn't warn Syria right?
What I have not heard yet is why it is our responsibility to do anything at all.
I have yet to see any evidence presented that it was Assad's admin that used chemical weapons.
Kerry is now directing folks to youtube for all the "evidence".
Yet more videos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies