Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Rocco: "Great job GOP. I can see how hard you're working to attract black voters. "

I do want to vote for a republican in the 2016 election but come on, you're not going to earn my vote by doing things like this. The MLK ceremony would have been a great way for the GOP to say: We're a new party and it's a new day. They blew it.

The Grio
8/29/2013

Former Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele blasted Republican congressional leaders as “boneheaded” for declining invitations to speak at Wednesday’s commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington, while also criticizing the event’s organizers for not offering a speaking slot to Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC.), the nation’s only black senator. Read More Here.
The current GOP leadership are always turning left when they should turn right, and zigging when the should have zagged, and they retreat when they should stand and fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
I suspect that if the nation's only serving black senator were a Democrat, they would be invited to speak regardless of their seniority or how they got there.

It's refreshing to know that the audience at the MLK ceremony was so interested in hearing what the GOP leadership had to say. It's always gone over so well when they speak at NAACP conventions.
You're referring to GWB and John McCain's speeches, right?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Who would go to this dog and pony show? All it is is a liberal congregation of racists and thieves that want to screw any and everyone out of anything they have.

Civil rights act was unconstitutional and a farce. MLK was a **** role model and opportunist that ruined the landscape for blacks for the next 100 years.

The average black has gained almost no ground since he spoke.

HUH? You cannot be serious?

Since you know what has been ruined for blacks, tell me, what can improve things for blacks. Since you're the expert.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,125 times
There was a "conservative roundtable" event in my city. I checked it out........100% white audience of at least 400 people. Lots of over 50 as far as age but not one single person of another race. It was weird that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives generally speaking hate black people and don't want too many voting for their candidates.

In fact one of the main appeals of conservative candidates to conservatives voters is the extent that they are perceived as anti-black. It is a plus.

Whenever conservatives feign like they want black voter support, I already know that there will be mention of welfare, single moms, personal responsibility, bad black culture, black on black crime, black people being slaves and on a plantation, etc.

I other words, conservatives can barely hold their contempt for black voters while they are supposedly making a pitch for those voters.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Who would go to this dog and pony show? All it is is a liberal congregation of racists and thieves that want to screw any and everyone out of anything they have.

Civil rights act was unconstitutional and a farce.
Kinda tells me where you're coming from, and it's not a very good place to be. Please try to join the rest of us in the 21st Century........

Quote:

MLK was a **** role model and opportunist that ruined the landscape for blacks for the next 100 years.

The average black has gained almost no ground since he spoke.
If catapulting tens of millions of African Americans into the middle class, eliminating legal Jim Crow and many other insidious forms of segregation, and cracking down on lynchings and other forms of terrorism constitutes "gaining no ground," I guess you're right.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:22 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
This is very typical of the Republican Party. Their actions show exactly how much interest they have in courting votes outside of their ever shrinking base.
Excellent point!

For the life of me I cannot understand why the GOP is not going after more voters in minority communities. It's not just African-Americans, but ...

• Asian-Americans
  • Jews
  • Hispanic Americans
  • Educators
  • LGBT Community
Don't they realize these segments of American Society are gaining more and more influence politically? Don't they know that the demographics of these communities is growing and the the traditional "Republican Base" is shrinking?

Does the Republican Party always want to be a country club like refuge of angry old Christian white men???

Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

I other words, conservatives can barely hold their contempt for black voters while they are supposedly making a pitch for those voters.
The Tim Scotts and Michael Steeles of the world are their answer. You know, every few years or so, appoint a black person to something to pretend you're a "diverse" party.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Excuses, excuses...

Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,206,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Up next:

The GOP isn't losing the black vote because of our reprehensible behavior! It's only because blacks want the free phones that Obama hands out!
GOP never had it anyways, lol.... You are deluded to think otherwise.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:

Does the Republican Party always want to be a country club like refuge of
angry old Christian white men???
Short answer...yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies