Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times

Advertisements

The civil rights anniversary event should have been filled with both Democrats and Republicans. Very shameful of the republican party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 PM

5 posts, read 3,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucario View Post
and what is that?
rtfc

Old 08-30-2013, 01:11 AM

577 posts, read 512,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
The civil rights anniversary event should have been filled with both Democrats and Republicans. Very shameful of the republican party.
Yes indeed very shameful. This was a celebration of a major turning point in American history and both parties should have been represented, especially those who are currently serving in office. I have no problem with President HW Bush not attenting as his health conditions have really declined. W. Bush just had surgery, but had enough dignity and statesmanship to send out a really great statement proclaiming his thoughts on the historic day.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:02 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know why it's so necessary to keep this nonsense up.

Why can't we accept some facts here and just dump the topic forever:

Republicans don't like blacks and blacks don't like Republicans. And please, let's not talk about the few outliers.

Republicans invitees rejected the invitations for obvious reasons...the main one being that it's a crowd that they really don't wanna be around under any circumstances to begin with. Moreover, they don't give a damn about Dr. King (except when it's convenient), his legacy, or anything else relative to the man. Nothing wrong with that, and that's their prerogative. Sure, they pay it lip service, but it's not a priority for them.

And really, why act surprised? Conservatives had no use for him when he was alive, so what use would they have for a dead MLK?

On the flipside, the parties responsible for inviting people to the event don't REALLY want the Republicans there anyway. Let's be honest about that. The Republican invitees know it, hence their rejection. I don't blame them. Who wants to go to an event where they really aren't wanted and don't want to be anyway? Hell, if i were there, i wouldn't want to look to my right and see someone like Jeff Sessions standing around. LOL...seriously?

I don't understand why the air can't be cleared at this point and everyone should just be honest. Enough of these dumb arguments over the same trite nonsense.

I said the same thing earlier, that it's pointless to sugar coat it and spend time trying to dissect why white conservatives would have no interest in MLK and these events.

White conservatives do not like blacks and attending events that praise blacks like MLK will do them no favors with there constituents, who also do not like blacks.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:14 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Actually the GOP didn't go because they weren't invited, I agree with Michale Steele that they should have gone anyway (many of them did, just didn't have an official platform at the event). A lot of them held smaller events in their towns in honor of King.

As a person who is a conservative, I always keep saying, the GOP sucks in the marketing department. The Democratic Party is great at this, they also have the Main Stream Media on their side, which I feel is what I feel Republicans really need to grasp because the media is a powerful influence on others.

And if they don't they are going to lose the next election again, and worst of all it will be to Hilary! What's going to happen is the media is going to market her as the face for women everywhere,also marketed as a mother figure who "cares" about the common man and wants to protect them by taking guns away. And her opposition will be branded as the exact opposite of all this.

Just watch, the GOP needs to really wake up and understand this.
Even "head nut job speaker" had to apologize for that highlighted lie....

Bill O'Reilly Forced to Apologize for His GOP Not Invited to March on Washington Lie

Old 08-30-2013, 05:15 AM

945 posts, read 968,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I have a question of a historical nature: wasn't Austria the country where Hitler was born? Was Austria part of the Nazi German Reich?
Wasn't the confederate army part of the USA before civil the war? Didn't Thomas Jefferson own and rape slaves?

We just throwing out non-sequiturs today? This is fun.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:25 AM

945 posts, read 968,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
First, I did not say that the total was 1000. I meant that to represent the total murders committed in 2008.

There are tens of millions of blacks in this country, no? In order for that poster's thesis about the general community of Blacks dying in the streets that would mean that the majority of those 44,000,000+ people are dying in the streets daily.

Is that true?

Are you really going to try to defend his thesis based on my stupid mistake?

Really?

Yes, I had a typo, however, my point is still valid.
That poster was attempting to suggest that because 52.5% of homicides are committed by Blacks, that somehow that means that the general community of Blacks are dying in the streets.

So, maybe you know the answer: what is that 52.5% of?
And when you can tell us that, tell us what percentage of the total Black population commit those murders.
You did say 1000, it is clearly quoted by HappyTexan in his response to you. I understand you are embarrassed, it was a fundamental failure in math on literally a 3rd grade math problem.

Again, if you cannot understand how rates work why would I want to even attempt to engage in deeper mathematical complexities with you?

Open the internet, do some research and source it up otherwise hit your math teacher up for a refresher.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
You did say 1000, it is clearly quoted by HappyTexan in his response to you. I understand you are embarrassed, it was a fundamental failure in math on literally a 3rd grade math problem.

Again, if you cannot understand how rates work why would I want to even attempt to engage in deeper mathematical complexities with you?

Open the internet, do some research and source it up otherwise hit your math teacher up for a refresher.
This is what I said originally:

"Let's say for further amusement that there were 1000 homicides in 2008. If Blacks accounted for 52.5% of those, that would mean 52,500 PEOPLE were killed. Out of tens of millions in total. "

So correcting my stupid mistake to reflect those 1000 homicides, let's say that there were 525 people killed.
Again, that would be 525 out of TENS OF MILLIONS of Blacks in this country.

Get it?

You stated that the Black community in general is dying in the streets.
You then attempted to prove this by saying that Blacks account for 52.5% of all homicides committed.
So, back to my main point: what is that 52.5% of?
How many actual people does that translate to?
How does that percentage prove your thesis that the general community of 44,000,000+ people is dying in the streets?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives generally speaking hate black people and don't want too many voting for their candidates.

In fact one of the main appeals of conservative candidates to conservatives voters is the extent that they are perceived as anti-black. It is a plus.

Whenever conservatives feign like they want black voter support, I already know that there will be mention of welfare, single moms, personal responsibility, bad black culture, black on black crime, black people being slaves and on a plantation, etc.

I other words, conservatives can barely hold their contempt for black voters while they are supposedly making a pitch for those voters.
They make no effort to hold their contempt. And continue to wonder why they are unable to attract minorities to their party.

I hope that the crazies are booted out of the Republican party.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
I said the same thing earlier, that it's pointless to sugar coat it and spend time trying to dissect why white conservatives would have no interest in MLK and these events.

White conservatives do not like blacks and attending events that praise blacks like MLK will do them no favors with there constituents, who also do not like blacks.
Absolutely.

White Conservatives don't wanna be there, and the blacks don't want them there.

Why not just leave it at that and let the world turn. The air is cleared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies