Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these two side-by-side McDonalds would you make a habit of patronizing?
The one with "normal" McDonalds prices and wages 81 56.64%
The one with prices $.50 to $1.00 more than "normal", and paid wages of $15.00/hour 62 43.36%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 02:00 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevski View Post
**** macdonalds , bastions of corporate greed.

close them all down!
Yea, either the people wanting for higher wages pay money to become part owner of the company or fire the company (leave and find a better job).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,397 times
the min wage in the city of San Francisco is $10.55. And the unemployment rate is 5.4% which is the lowest in the state.

And guess what? There are McDonalds in San Francisco! And Burger King's too! Taco Bell as well! Any ****ty fast food your tubby American heart desires can be had in San Francisco.

And the trade off for having more money in the pockets of the working class, thus giving them more purchasing power and more money going back in to the economy, and a better economy with a lower unemployment rate is this:

the $1 value menu is actually $1.50

Old 08-30-2013, 03:23 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
No way I'd eat at a McD's, but I am certainly willing to pay a negligible difference to patronize a business that treats its staff better

Old 08-30-2013, 03:36 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Not if you're demanding that the "chef" earn more than they're being paid.
I don`t know of anyone who is "demanding" the chef be paid more but if he was he would be able to pay taxes and not be called a moocher by some plastic looking billionaire and get this. He`ll be able to actually BUY something and perhaps create jobs for other people. Australia has a $16.88 minimum wage and an unemployment rate of 5.4%. Their cost of living is higher than ours but certainly not twice as high.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:59 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Which of these two identical, side-by-side McDonalds with equal quality food, service etc. would you make a habit of patronizing?

(a) The one with "normal" McDonalds prices and wages

(b) The one where each food item and drink cost $.50 to $1.00 more than "normal", and paid $15.00/hr?

You didn't think the wages that today's "strikers" are demanding, were going to come for free, did you?
What these people fail to understand is that this kind of labor isn't worth $15/hr. Pay is not determined by what seems "fair" in the minds of the mob of protesters, or by bureaucrats. What is to stop these people from demanding $25/hr? Why wouldn't they demand it, if that is all they have to do?

As for the consumer (and I don't eat at McDonald's or anywhere else very often these days — times are tough), how much is someone going to be willing to pay for the kind of food these places serve? I'd sooner go to Bob Evan's and have a really good sandwich for what the McDonald's will be forced to charge for their "fast food."

It isn't as though it's difficult to find people to do that kind of work either, another factor that determines what a job pays. The available labor (especially in these times, thanks to Obama) is unlimited. If these people walk off the job, they can be replaced in five minutes! That is the nature of unskilled labor.

Franchisee's pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the franchise in the hope of making a good living for themselves and their families. They have needs, too (home, automobiles, college for the kids, etc.). They have bought a franchise in the hope of living well in their retirement years, and sending kids to school in the years they are raising their family. Like most Americans, they would also like to be able to take a vacation once in a while, and (as my father did) perhaps own a sail boat or engage in some other form of recreation.

If these protesting employees (and it was shown in the news footage I saw that most were probably not employees at all — many were bused in) wish to make $15/hr (or more), they need to aquire the skills needed to get a job that pays that kind of money. Simply demanding it isn't enough.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:02 AM

806 posts, read 2,341,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
No way I'd eat at a McD's, but I am certainly willing to pay a negligible difference to patronize a business that treats its staff better

SAME HERE!!

Old 08-30-2013, 04:11 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
the answer is unionize, militise and force higer pay!

otherwise foce the company to close down - that's the only way to smash the greed machine
I've down-repped you. Didn't know that was possible? Well I did it. Go back to 1848.

Quote:
pay should be min 15/hr at all jobs, and Mad's it should be 20 seeing how much profit they make, whilst screwing over the poor abroad
So you want a McDonald's starting position, a job a 10th-grader can literally do, to pay $42K annually starting on day one?

And what, then, would your command economy pay somebody who completed 4 to 6 years of college for an entry-level position somewhere? Would it be less than $42K annually? More? How much? If it's less, then why on earth would that person have done all the work to finish high school and attend 4 to 6 years of college? If it's more, then do you have any idea what price inflation is and what effect all this would have on it?

We already have a pretty nuanced system for determining the worth of a set of skills and a set of job responsibilities. And it's not based on what you think is "fair."

Old 08-30-2013, 04:12 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
the min wage in the city of San Francisco is $10.55. And the unemployment rate is 5.4% which is the lowest in the state.
They must all live with their parents in SF.

Quote:
He`ll be able to actually BUY something and perhaps create jobs for other people.
Not in San Francisco.

All you lefties are just begging to be taught the lesson of the wage/price spiral. Jimmy Carter and the US labor movement taught it to boomers in the late 1970's. It resulted in 12 years of Republican rule.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:17 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
(and it was shown in the news footage I saw that most were probably not employees at all — many were bused in)
Yep. Not at all surprising.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:18 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
They must all live with their parents in SF.

and that's your argument?

not much for using reason, logic, or rationality are you?

your argument that the reason the unemployment rate is 5.4% even though min wage is $10.55 is that "they must all live with their parents" ?

good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies