Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 08:53 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
Uh-oh, your tone indicates that civility is about to run dry on your side. Tsk tsk tsk. But for giggles I'll answer, and obviously it won't satisfy you, nothing ever does. You want to get married? Go get married. Simple, you have that right same as me. So if we already have the same rights and you are asking for a change just to accommodate your group, that is in fact wanting special rights.

Tb
That is no answer, it is just a dodge. There is not any special rights. You are just blowing up a strawman.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
In Minnesota, it is illegal to refuse a business engagement for any reason other than a legitimate business reason. You can't refuse business to black people, jews, gays, whatever. That law was enacted in 1993.

It has nothing to do with gay marriage. You simply aren't allowed to discriminate.

When MN was working on same-sex marriage, there was much brow-furrowing over whether private businesses would be required to serve gay couples. The people worrying about this were referred to the above law.
Before it became a public PC issue, gays got married and got their cakes, wedding pictures and catering halls. I'm sure they got refused and just went elsewhere.

Acceptance and assimilation take time. Forcing it via legal means to make it happen quicker will not work as intended.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Before it became a public PC issue, gays got married and got their cakes, wedding pictures and catering halls. I'm sure they got refused and just went elsewhere.

Acceptance and assimilation take time. Forcing it via legal means to make it happen quicker will not work as intended.
It's not a "public PC" issue. It's a legal issue. Specifically, if you read my message, it's illegal to discriminate. Before same-sex marriage was legal in Minnesota, it was still illegal to discriminate against gay couples.

Your language could apply to any type of discrimination against anyone. Should we not have made a law for women to vote? Blacks to vote? Should we have just waited until people "accepted and assimilated?"

Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 AM

288 posts, read 349,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
This is why we need to have full equal rights for gays and lesbians implemented by the federal government, so that people like this cannot marginalize us, put us in closets. I find it interesting that what gay people do when they have sex is nasty and needs to be legislated, yet what straight people do is not nasty. Maybe christians should take their religion and go in a closet with it, or maybe I should say into a cloister.

Seriously, that helped your side tremendously, you should become their spokesman.

Good luck to all I debated with, I harbor no hard feelings toward anyone, life is hard at times for us all. My views are mine, they don't match yours, life goes on.

Tb

Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
What else would you say. You've all deluded yourselves into thinking your orientation isn't abnormal. Repeat the lie often enough...

Tb

And you also can relax, life is gonna stop sucking (again no pun) for the gay man soon.
Really, you are acting like a 10 year old. WE, the LGBTQ ought to know more about ourselves then you could ever hope to. Being homosexual and bisexual are normal, just because they are not he majority, does not make it abnormal. If anyone is repeating a lie, it is people like you who want to defame and denegrate us using your beliefs.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
This is interesting.

George H.W. Bush witness at same-sex wedding

George H.W. Bush witness at same-sex wedding | Minnesota Public Radio News

He even signed the license as a witness!

Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
It's not a "public PC" issue. It's a legal issue. Specifically, if you read my message, it's illegal to discriminate. Before same-sex marriage was legal in Minnesota, it was still illegal to discriminate against gay couples.

Your language could apply to any type of discrimination against anyone. Should we not have made a law for women to vote? Blacks to vote? Should we have just waited until people "accepted and assimilated?"
This thread is specifically about gay marriage and so were my comments.
My comments were opinions. Opinions are not right or wrong..they are statements of one's views.

I've been discriminated against by a business. And rather than make a public, legal issue of it I just went someplace else. It was not the only business in town.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:03 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Generalities, distortions and more personal attacks, Thanks!

Good luck to you.

Tb

And yet you do not deny that you're sex=morality isn't sourced from whatever religion you adhere to.

Amazing, huh?

BTW, no need to "sign" your posts. We can tell who is writing.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:05 AM

288 posts, read 349,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Really, you are acting like a 10 year old. WE, the LGBTQ ought to know more about ourselves then you could ever hope to. Being homosexual and bisexual are normal, just because they are not he majority, does not make it abnormal. If anyone is repeating a lie, it is people like you who want to defame and denegrate us using your beliefs.

I think I'll miss you most of all. - Dorothy

Tb

Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35

I have given specific examples on how SSM is affecting Christians negatively. Instead of honestly acknowledging that this reality exists, you try to sweep it under the rug with Well it's the LAW!! So freaking what? That doesn't change that people are already losing their jobs and businesses because of this issue.

The thing you don't get is this is not a simple black and white issue. You refuse to look at the gray area here resorting back to the tactic of using labels like bigot and hypocrite to create an illusion of moral superiority.

I doubt it since you apparently have no problem with people losing their jobs and businesses because of exercising their right to free speech and religion.

You are over simplifying a complex issue. I have no issue with people who want to live a gay lifestyle. If that is what makes you happy in life, go for it. I also think gay couples should have the same legal benefits as married couples. But the problem is this issue crosses over religious lines. You are bringing it into my house of worship, and on a social level, you are indeed forcing me to accept it as natural and normal. Otherwise, I face consequences.

(and yes, I realize marriages don't have to be conducted at church, but obviously there are gay couples out there who want a church ceremony)

Why on earth do you think your CHOSEN BELIEF SYSTEM trumps inherent characteristics of a person's being?

Why should your CHOSEN beliefs be given more deference?

We don't allow Voodoo adherents to massacre goats and perform all the rituals they would like. We don't allow Muslims to do Honor Killings or to practice Sharia to the letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies