Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
A Christian photographer refusing to work a same-sex marriage for religious reasons is no different than a Muslim cab driver refusing transportation because their fare ate a ham sandwich or a BLT.

If you choose to do business with the public, then you are bound by public law, whether or not it agrees with your personal/religious beliefs... which you are allowed to have because of the very same public laws.
True, but I would bet a solid 99.9% of those getting married to a same sex partner are not going to want to give their business to the homophobic photographer anyway. There are plenty of pro-gay photographers out there that would love their business, and many might even prefer it over an opposite sex marriage. This is the type of issue anti-gay people like to exaggerate.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:03 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
So you would be perfectly fine and happy for a local law to punish you for FORCING you to do something you find morally offensive? Yes or No
In my field I deal with some customers who are homophobic evangelicals and refuse to even speak to me in team meetings. As I've said to friends on the subject "It's my job, I get a paycheck. I don't have to like them, but I can't "fire" them for being religious bigots".

Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 PM

511 posts, read 799,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Your god did not write the constitution, and your bible has no say in the laws of this country.
Gays didn't write the constitution either. Why should every law cater to your lifestyle?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Gays didn't write the constitution either. Why should every law cater to your lifestyle?
How is equal protection under the law catering to my "lifestyle"?

You can not be discriminated against for your religion, I shouldn't be discriminated against for my sexual orientation.

Or should we just get rid of all anti-discrimination laws?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Do you think it is ok for Muslims to refuse fares if you have a dog, or a BLT, or alcohol?
If it is something that offends them greatly and creates a moral conflict, then absolutely.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
How is equal protection under the law catering to my "lifestyle"?

You can not be discriminated against for your religion, I shouldn't be discriminated against for my sexual orientation.

Or should we just get rid of all anti-discrimination laws?
Nope, we just need to get rid of the made up term, "sexual orientation".

Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
No, what they should do is stop being bigots and stop using religious excuses to justify their bigotry. However, if being a bigot is such a paramount aspect of their lives, then they'll just have to decide whether catering to the public and obeying the laws the rest of us have to obey is more important than practicing the bigotry they so treasure.

I have abundant tolerance for beliefs. I have absolutely no tolerance for discrimination based on sexual orientation (or on race, or on religion - and, yes, I would absolutely insist on the same for a gay photographer who refused to do business with a fundamentalist Christian) in commercial activity.

You've lost, Dave. The nation is rapidly deciding that it just has no use for your archaic bigotry. Future generations will collectively shake their heads and wonder how people ever embraced such illogical nonsense as that you're espousing here.
No unfortunately you are the lost one. Let me remind you that Christianity is still one of the largest and most widespread religions in the world. This includes millions of Catholics who believe homosexuality is a sin. I know you would like to believe that it is just a few backwoods Pentecostal churches out there who haven't waken up and got with the program, but that's not reality. You can call it bigotry all you want, but I can easily say you are being just a much of a bigot towards Christians showing zero respect for our beliefs.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
If you can not be refused service for your religious beliefs, then You can not refuse me service for my sexual orientation.

BTW, sexual orientation refers to a person being heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, etc.
You have a sexual orientation too.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:44 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Now we see where you stand. Those who are morally opposed to my sexual orientation should be allowed to discriminate against me but if I find your religion or your race morally offensive I shouldn't be allowed to discriminate. How arrogant and selfish.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
If it is something that offends them greatly and creates a moral conflict, then absolutely.
Wait till you're stranded at the airport with no way of getting home because you have a bottle of wine on you. There's a line of empty cabs idling outside, and not one Somali driver will take you home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies