Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 11:27 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,260 times

Advertisements

I'm kinda curious as to why all the people who are against gay marriage always bring up these 'ideas' for marriages as a way to say that gay marriage shouldn't be allowed. It's more than a bit silly, but anyway, here I'll entertain you.

-Should family members be allowed to marry? Well in some states, you can marry a cousin already. But really I don't think this is right as the gene pool will be degraded as we've seen happen by inbreeding. Not sure how this relates to two non-related gay people, but OK.
-Polygamy. I'm not really sure how to discuss this. It kind of escapes me how multiple people could have romantic relationships with each other. I personally couldn't keep up with all that. I REALLY fail to see how this relates to gay marriage as I feel like if you can't commit to one person, why would you want to get married at all?
-Marrying children. Uh, no. How can a child actually consent to something like this? There's no way enough kids understand how marriage actually works to make it legit. Hell, most people in their 20's and 30's still don't.
-LOL, beastiality and marriage. Ohhh...priceless. Why don't you tell me how exactly they consent and work this whole thing out?
"Mr. Snuggles, will you marry me?"
"Meow"
"OH, Mr. Snuggles! This is the happiest day of my life!"

Ugh...get real and stop trying to make excuses why gay marriage shouldn't be legal. Only difference between gay marriage and straight marriage is one doesn't have a 50% divorce rate.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:51 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The whole "religious belief" means that I don't have to follow the law, is bunk.
Honor killings are a religious belief, but not legal.
Drug use is a religious belief, but not legal.
Human sacrifice is a religious belief, but not legal.

Anyone can make up a religious belief. I can say my religion says that raising pigs is sacred, but I can not raise pigs in a residential neighborhood.
Like so many of my oppressed brethren, my religious belief requires me to wear a ceremonial pasta strainer. Yet, somehow, the Southern state in which I live claims that it's not alright to wear my religious head dress in official photos like my Driver's License.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Wow, 42 pages on something posted 4 days ago, surely a "hot button" topic.

I see what the OP was getting at that at what point do we "draw the line" and if we allow gay marriage, why not allow all the other types of marriage, after all, if you want to marry a tree or your car, who's to stop you, right?

My answer to this original question is this. If you want to talk specifically about gay marriage, my answer would be to the people who oppose it, why would you care what other people do with their lives? Why would you care who other people marry? What's it to ya? Personally, i could care less what people do with their personal business just like i don't want anyone poking in MY business. Sort of like if i leave you alone, you leave me alone.

The other questions, in my opinion, are just separate issues. If you want to discuss marriage between people 16 and under, its a separate topic, just as is the incest stuff, all separate and all can stand on their own merits as far as a discussion topic goes.

I guess really what it comes down to is this. Why should people have to conform to other people's standards?

Old 09-05-2013, 12:03 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Like so many of my oppressed brethren, my religious belief requires me to wear a ceremonial pasta strainer. Yet, somehow, the Southern state in which I live claims that it's not alright to wear my religious head dress in official photos like my Driver's License.
I know, eh? I can't wear mine to work at the psych ward. I feel so oppressed. I make up for it by wearing pasta underpants. They itch.
We should move to Austria.
Austrian Wins Right To Wear Pasta Strainer In Driver’s License « Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Old 09-05-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I know, eh? I can't wear mine to work at the psych ward. I feel so oppressed. I make up for it by wearing pasta underpants. They itch.
We should move to Austria.
Austrian Wins Right To Wear Pasta Strainer In Driver’s License « Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Just rest assured that the Holy Council of Olive Garden is working tirelessly to rectify this situation here in North America as well.

http://www.ibtimes.com/eddie-castill...theist-1399583

Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Just rest assured that the Holy Council of Olive Garden is working tirelessly to rectify this situation here in North America as well.

Eddie Castillo: First American Pastafarian To Wear Spaghetti Strainer In DMV Photo, Calls It An Atheist
That's wonderful news! Unfortunately, it won't fly here in Quebec. Our new proposed Secularism Charter allows no religious symbols whatsoever. No crosses, yarmulkes, niqabs or even pasta strainers. I still feel oppressed.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:37 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Not that there aren't multiple threads out there on this....

1) Should people who wish to marry their close relatives (sisters, brothers, children, parents, first cousins, etc) be permitted to do so? Yes
2) Should people who wish to marry multiple spouses be permitted to do so? Yes
3) Should people who wish to marry "children" be permitted to do so? No, children can't consent.
4) Should people who wish to marry animals be permitted to do so? No, animals can't consent. Although not too long ago some guy on here gave quite the arguement that they could.
Agreed.

Not necessary to read any further.

[the end]

Old 09-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed.

Not necessary to read any further.

[the end]
Yeah, that's what most of us thought... Still, this being C-D, you just won't believe what other people seem to think. It's quite entertaining, hilarious, outrageous, and mind-numbing.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:04 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The whole "religious belief" means that I don't have to follow the law, is bunk.
Honor killings are a religious belief, but not legal.
Drug use is a religious belief, but not legal.
Human sacrifice is a religious belief, but not legal.

Anyone can make up a religious belief. I can say my religion says that raising pigs is sacred, but I can not raise pigs in a residential neighborhood.
I can say my religious belief is that it is ok to steal, but I can not steal someones car.
Some "christians" claimed that segregation and even slavery was a biblical principle, they still have to follow the law.

Religious belief is not a get out of jail free card.
If you were REQUIRED BY LAW to close on the Sunday Sabbath, have only Christian holiday decorations if you have holiday decorations at all, and refuse support to any person or group that espouses any belief or lifestyle contrary to the Word of God (such as homosexuality), how would you feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The bakery runs a business open to the public. The business is not run by his religion., if the business cannot function without his beliefs getting in the way of following law that governs and protects all businesses, then it deserves to close. I do not see why his religion is even involved in his business, the owner is just using it to make himself out to be a victim when he is only a victim of his own stubborn stupidity to refuse to operate by state law that all businesses must follow. If he wants to serve the public, then he needs to follow the law, he is not immune to the law because he is a christian.
If you were REQUIRED BY LAW to close on the Sunday Sabbath, have only Christian holiday decorations if you have holiday decorations at all, and refuse support to any person or group that espouses any belief or lifestyle contrary to the Word of God (such as homosexuality), how would you feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
There is no significant religious group that prohibits baking a cake or taking photographs for people who don't follow the religious dogma. That's a nonsensical fabrication of circumstance. Stop working so hard to rationalize offensive bigotry against homosexuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Wow, 42 pages on something posted 4 days ago, surely a "hot button" topic.

I see what the OP was getting at that at what point do we "draw the line" and if we allow gay marriage, why not allow all the other types of marriage, after all, if you want to marry a tree or your car, who's to stop you, right?

My answer to this original question is this. If you want to talk specifically about gay marriage, my answer would be to the people who oppose it, why would you care what other people do with their lives? Why would you care who other people marry? What's it to ya? Personally, i could care less what people do with their personal business just like i don't want anyone poking in MY business. Sort of like if i leave you alone, you leave me alone.

The other questions, in my opinion, are just separate issues. If you want to discuss marriage between people 16 and under, its a separate topic, just as is the incest stuff, all separate and all can stand on their own merits as far as a discussion topic goes.

I guess really what it comes down to is this. Why should people have to conform to other people's standards?
In theory, I agree with you. But as I said in a previous post, this is not what's happening. It's not that we can all have our own beliefs and be okay with it. People are getting sued, fired, and harassed for not serving gay couples even if the reason why they're not serving gay couples is because of their Christian beliefs. (Whatever happened to "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason"?!) People are getting their businesses shut down if they don't serve gay couples or other types of people who they don't want to serve for whatever reason.

If homosexuals should have the freedom to marry, then business owners should have the freedom to refuse service to them without worrying about losing their livelihood. People should have the right to speak out against homosexuality without fear of losing their jobs. Whatever happened to freedom of speech, anyway? Are we that wimpy as a society? Come on. I've had people say stuff to me too, and I have a thick enough skin to take it. I've been called a hippie or a lady because of my long hair. I've been called every name in the book for being a conservative Christian. I've been called "racist" names by people of other races. I DON'T CARE. If you don't like me, big deal. If you don't like what I stand for, whatever. Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. Call me names if you want - it's your freedom to do so. (And it should be my freedom to whoop your butt for it, but that's another story for another time.)

What's so nefarious about the liberal agenda, in particular this gay marriage movement, is that not only does it legalize things that have been abhorrent the whole world over for centuries, but it effectively silences, through threat of force, those who would oppose such movements. If it stopped at legalizing things that have historically been abhorrent, I guarantee that it wouldn't meet quite so much opposition. You are free to "marry", and I'm free to tell you to get out of my store if I don't want to bake a cake for your "wedding". Fair's fair.

There's a difference between gay marriage and interracial marriage. The Bible does not speak against interracial marriage at all - it only ever speaks against marriage between people of differing religions. Many times does the Bible speak against homosexuality. That's where it's technically different for Christian conservatives. So if a business owner is going to follow the Bible, he's going to get run out of business because the laws have been changed to force this person to service those he finds to be living in flagrant sin, or else be thrown into the poorhouse (er, welfare rolls). This is a clear violation of the separation of church and state, but yet people say it isn't because they want things to stay that way. Whatever. Again I say, to the liberals on this thread - how would YOU feel if YOU were on the receiving end of this? I don't care how you would make up the scenario or what excuses you'd make. For once, answer a question intellectually without dodging it (as the three people above did). Suppose YOU were the one who were required by law to abide by a particular religious doctrine, or violate your own personal religious doctrine (whatever it may be, even if it's "atheism"). Wouldn't YOU be mad?

If it really is true what the liberals say about how we will come to realize that gay marriage is not so bad, just as we came to realize that interracial marriage is not so bad, let it be that way and don't force people who are opposed to it to accept it and service it.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:

In theory, I agree with you. But as I said in a previous post, this is not
what's happening. It's not that we can all have our own beliefs and be okay with
it. People are getting sued, fired, and harassed for not serving gay couples
even if the reason why they're not serving gay couples is because of their
Christian beliefs. (Whatever happened to "we reserve the right to refuse service
to anyone for any reason"?!) People are getting their businesses shut down if
they don't serve gay couples or other types of people who they don't want to
serve for whatever reason
So...you'd be OK if you were kicked out of a store for being a Gypsy? From what I understand, gypsies have been harassed, persecuted and discriminated against for a very long time. You're OK with that?

Last edited by weltschmerz; 09-05-2013 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies