Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,268,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It's not new in kindergarten for other areas of the country--just that it's part of a national curriculum now.

Maybe you guys SHOULD do something about it, because although the US in general is at a 40 year low with teen pregnancies, the numbers in states like Texas are higher than ever.
State With the Highest Teen Pregnancy Rate Is ... | State-by-State Abortion Rates | LiveScience
(I reposted the info because I edited my earlier post while you were responding)
The demographics of New Mexico are nowhere near the demographics of New Hampshire.
There's more to a statistic then the raw number.

Why is New Mexico on the top of the list ?
Why is New Hampshire on the bottom of the list ?

It's not due to sex education in the schools alone.
At least compare same state to same state which is NOT what these article do.

Now I do not disagree that we have a problem here with teens and sex and pregnancies.
But it is not because of sex ed in the schools.

Source: US Census bureau quickfacts

New Hampshire:
pop: 1.3 million
Demographics: White:91% Hispanic: 3% Black 1%
median income: $65K
Poverty: 8%

New Mexico:
pop: 2 million
Demographics: White: 39% Hispanic: 47% Black: 2%
median income: $44K
poverty: 19%

Old 09-01-2013, 10:07 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,184,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnBound14 View Post
Not my problem. Pretty sure we don't need to worry about 5 and 6 years having sex with each other though. Oh and it has nothing to do with teenagers not knowing what creates babies. Has to do with demographics,absent parents or parents who must work when they should be at home watching the teens instead of letting them roam around unattended to. Any moron knows to use a condom. They don't need a sex education class to tell them to use one. Teens will be teens...they are going to rebel against what their parents say or do if they aren't raised correctly or if the parents aren't around.
So you think the reason why the teen pregnancy rate is still through the roof in southern states that teach abstinence only education, and considerably lower in northern states, is because more southern moms work outside of the home and supervise their kids less than in northern states? That's an "interesting" and highly creative interpretation of that data. And for the record, I grew up in an era where most moms were at home, and if someone wanted to have sex, cars or a blanket in a field were widely available.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:08 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,148,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnBound14 View Post
Not my problem. Pretty sure we don't need to worry about 5 and 6 years having sex with each other though. Oh and it has nothing to do with teenagers not knowing what creates babies. Has to do with demographics,absent parents or parents who must work when they should be at home watching the teens instead of letting them roam around unattended to. Any moron knows to use a condom. They don't need a sex education class to tell them to use one. Teens will be teens...they are going to rebel against what their parents say or do if they aren't raised correctly or if the parents aren't around.

>SNIP<.
We do have to worry about 5 and 6 year olds being molested. We do have to worry about them not knowing that it is ok to tell a trusted adult.
There are bad people out there, that do very evil things to kids. They say it's a secret, or that their parents will not love them if they knew.
They are not teaching 5-6 YO children how to have sex, or anything about sex. Knowing the proper names of body parts is not teaching sex. Teaching that you should tell parents or other trusted adults if you are touched where your bathing suit covers is not teaching sex. Teaching that all living things reproduce is not teaching sex.

Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
So you think the reason why the teen pregnancy rate is still through the roof in southern states that teach abstinence only education, and considerably lower in northern states, is because more southern moms work outside of the home and supervise their kids less than in northern states? That's an "interesting" and highly creative interpretation of that data. And for the record, I grew up in an era where most moms were at home, and if someone wanted to have sex, cars or a blanket in a field were widely available.
No, it's due to poverty and immigration.
Compare the southern states with high teen pregnancies and you'll see the pattern emerge.
Compare all the northern states with low teen pregnancies and you'll see the pattern emerge.

Texas does not teach abstinence only and nothing else.
Here's the TEKS that ALL Texas schools teach their children.
Yes, abstinence is promoted above contraceptive as it is the only 100% way not to get pregnant.
But I've seen the textbooks used in middle school and there is mention of contraceptives.
But abstinence is promoted over contraceptives and contraceptives is given very little focus.

19 TAC Chapter 115

Old 09-01-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The demographics of New Mexico are nowhere near the demographics of New Hampshire.
There's more to a statistic then the raw number.

Why is New Mexico on the top of the list ?
Why is New Hampshire on the bottom of the list ?

It's not due to sex education in the schools alone.
At least compare same state to same state which is NOT what these article do.

Now I do not disagree that we have a problem here with teens and sex and pregnancies.
But it is not because of sex ed in the schools.

Source: US Census bureau quickfacts

New Hampshire:
pop: 1.3 million
Demographics: White:91% Hispanic: 3% Black 1%
median income: $65K
Poverty: 8%

New Mexico:
pop: 2 million
Demographics: White: 39% Hispanic: 47% Black: 2%
median income: $44K
poverty: 19%
So you're saying it's all Hispanic families. Try looking at the other states with super high teen pregnancy rates, like Mississippi, Arkansas, South Carolina, Alabama, Louisiana, etc. They don't have super high Hispanic populations, so you can drop that argument right now. Poverty absolutely does have something to do with it, because poorly educated parents are less likely to teach their children even basic information themselves. That's why the schools become more important. The District of Columbia is in the top 10 poverty regions of the country, but they don't have the problem with teen pregnancy that you have in the south. Why exactly do you think that is?
10 States With The Highest Poverty Rates [PHOTOS]

Old 09-01-2013, 10:18 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,280,446 times
Quote:

Not my problem. Pretty sure we don't need to worry about 5 and 6 years having
sex with each other though. Oh and it has nothing to do with teenagers not knowing what creates
babies.
So, a teen pregnancy rate that is through the roof is "not your problem?"
Interesting take.
Tell me...why is teaching about the digestive or respiratory systems OK, but the reproductive system is "filth"? I'm genuinely curious.
I just can't wrap my head around such an attitude, so maybe you can explain it to me.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, it's due to poverty and immigration.
Compare the southern states with high teen pregnancies and you'll see the pattern emerge.
Compare all the northern states with low teen pregnancies and you'll see the pattern emerge.

Texas does not teach abstinence only and nothing else.
Here's the TEKS that ALL Texas schools teach their children.
Yes, abstinence is promoted above contraceptive as it is the only 100% way not to get pregnant.
But I've seen the textbooks used in middle school and there is mention of contraceptives.
But abstinence is promoted over contraceptives and contraceptives is given very little focus.

19 TAC Chapter 115
Here's an article from a the Dallas Morning News, dated March 2013. It discusses how in the early 1990s, Texas encouraged schools to stop teaching anything but abstinence, and that schools could choose to opt out of any health education at all. It became entirely up to each district what they did and did not teach.
Editorial: Texas lawmakers push social agenda as teen pregnancy problem grows | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Here are the results, according to that article:

"Fourteen years later, in 2009, David Wiley and Kelly Wilson, professors at Texas State University, conducted a comprehensive review of sex education at 960 of the state’s 1,028 school districts and found that 94 percent were not giving students any human sexuality instruction beyond abstinence-only. Two percent ignored sex education altogether. Which meant only 4 percent of Texas districts were teaching youngsters about responsible pregnancy, contraception and disease prevention."

The article goes on to discuss the fight in your state legislature between pushing for legislation that would require stronger reproductive health education, vs. using that opportunity to put stronger restrictions on abortion instead. We all know how that turned out.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
So you're saying it's all Hispanic families. Try looking at the other states with super high teen pregnancy rates, like Mississippi, Arkansas, South Carolina, Alabama, Louisiana, etc. They don't have super high Hispanic populations, so you can drop that argument right now. Poverty absolutely does have something to do with it, because poorly educated parents are less likely to teach their children even basic information themselves. That's why the schools become more important. The District of Columbia is in the top 10 poverty regions of the country, but they don't have the problem with teen pregnancy that you have in the south. Why exactly do you think that is?
10 States With The Highest Poverty Rates [PHOTOS]
I'm not SAYING anything. I only provided the numbers the census bureau collected.
I would venture that poverty and immigration status have something to do with these high numbers.

Maybe states need to do what NYC is doing...paying for IUDs for teens.

I do see 14 year olds getting pregnant. I do think it's a huge problem.
And I don't think it's all due to lack of sex education.

I'm usually in the middle schools and last year I was in the high school for several months.
I saw too many pregnant students walking the halls and heard one too many stories about students dropping out after they had their babies. I asked one teacher if that was the norm and she shook her head and said there's more and more each year.

There's more to it then education. They can't get to drugstores and they have no money to buy this stuff and they have such a casual approach to getting pregnant.

There needs to be more than saying "use a condom" by a teacher.

Bah..I've gotten so far off topic here which is learning "penis" at age 5 so I'll stop.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:49 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,356,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Who's saying that? You can call it whatever you like. But it's a penis. What's wrong with kids knowing that their weiner is actually called a penis? Why is that so taboo that they can't learn it in school?

I honestly don't understand this. A penis is a penis whether parents choose to "teach" their kids that or not. Calling it something else and opting out of a class that teaches the proper term doesn't change that fact.
though I believe in using proper terms, there is nothing wrong with parents who choose to use cute little names until a kid is a little older. Besides, it is not the part of the government to teach kindergarten kids sex education in any ways, means of form. We are not talking about an anatomy class in middle or high school here, we are talking about interfering in what a parent chooses to teach they very young child. This is America, not some country where the government raises our kids.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,356,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, we just have abstinence only sex ed, and some of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country.
But if that works for you.
That is because they don't subscribe to aborting 1/2 of the babies. It also is a result of rural communities and not sex education or the lack of the same. Can I also ask what your statement has to do with teaching sex education in kindergarten? That is the subject of this thread or was supposed to be.

BTW, yes, we worry about young kids getting molested, do you think this is new? Were you even alive in the 40s and 50s? Our parents handled our sex education and also taught us about the possibility of things happening to us. We didn't leave it up to the schools. Sex education for 5 and 6 year olds has nothing to do with molestation. I am shocked anyone would even suggest there is a correlation between the two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies