Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 12:01 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those countries are also the least obsessive about sex in all facets of their society..politically, socially and economically.
Why are they the least obsessive about sex? Because it is no big deal. Make something a huge taboo, and people will obsess about it. Treat it like any other subject, and it is just another subject.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Then what exactly were you trying to say? You deliberately left out the data on other states, with equally high teen pregnancy rates, that don't have high hispanic populations, and compared them to a state that's primarily white. If you look at the common denominators among states with high teen pregnancy rates, it's poverty and a lack of comprehensive reproductive health care education.

Kids are more likely to use contraception the first few times they have sex if they have a clear understanding of the issues around it, and if it's accessible to them. When I was a girl, lots of girls DIDN'T plan for sex or use birth control at first because they were afraid it would make them look promiscuous. They still had sex anyway, and some of them got pregnant. When you take the social issues out of it and treat it as a medical issue, it becomes matter of fact, and people take more responsibility for their own health.

We're off the subject anyway, because it's a long way from teaching kids proper names of body parts and that all life forms reproduce to reproductive health care education in high school.
I used the #1 state and the last state as comparison.
That's valid to see the stark differences in demographics of who live there.

Yes, I agree. I also posted as much in my last comment on this topic.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why are they the least obsessive about sex? Because it is no big deal. Make something a huge taboo, and people will obsess about it. Treat it like any other subject, and it is just another subject.
The big deal is being made from both sides of the political and social spectrum.
The other countries don't do that but we do.
Coming from both sides.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Kids are more likely to use contraception the first few times they have sex if
they have a clear understanding of the issues around it, and if it's accessible
to them. When I was a girl, lots of girls DIDN'T plan for sex or use birth
control at first because they were afraid it would make them look promiscuous.
They still had sex anyway, and some of them got pregnant. When you take the
social issues out of it and treat it as a medical issue, it becomes matter of
fact, and people take more responsibility for their own health.
I saw a great documentary called Let's Talk About Sex, examining sex ed and mores in different countries. Teens in the Netherlands, male and female, carry condoms with them on dates. The concept of "looking promiscuous" is foreign to them. "Why wouldn't we carry condoms on dates? Not to do so would be stupid and irresponsible."

Old 09-01-2013, 12:10 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
The big deal is being made from both sides of the political and social spectrum.
The other countries don't do that but we do.
Coming from both sides.
What is the big deal in teaching the correct names for body parts, or good/bad touch, or that all living things reproduce?

The only ones making a big deal about teaching actual biological FACTS are the cons here.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
I used the #1 state and the last state as comparison.
That's valid to see the stark differences in demographics of who live there.

Yes, I agree. I also posted as much in my last comment on this topic.
So why do you jump to the worst possible conclusions at first? You were having a fit earlier that they were going to teach kindergarteners sex acts. That's absolutely not what's happening, or what anyone has proposed ANYWHERE.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There is a difference between teen pregnancy rates, and teen birth rates.
Mississippi Adolescent Reproductive Health Facts - The Office of Adolescent Health

Teens who have abortions are still counted in teen PREGNANCY rates, but not in teen BIRTH rates.

And if the school is teaching good touch/bad touch, then yes it is dealing with molestation.
no kidding, but the thing is: we really do not know for sure how many teens, having abortions are not part of the stats. Don't be so sure they are all counted...

As for teaching any form of sex education in kindergarten: it is a absolutely dumb idea!!!! What makes yu think parents should not be the ones to teach their kids this? As I have said, I believe in using correct words for body parts, I was very open with my kids when they were growing up and so was my daughter. Now my granddaughter has a 6 year old. My granddaughter is a nurse, practitioner, highly educated, very open minded and is appalled at the thought of anyone teaching her child any form of sex education in kindergarten or 1st grade. Do you have young children or family members that do. Have you discussed this with them? I am betting well over 1/2 the country does not want to see anything like this. As I have said, this has nothing to do with sex education later on..

Old 09-01-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
So why do you jump to the worst possible conclusions at first? You were having a fit earlier that they were going to teach kindergarteners sex acts. That's absolutely not what's happening, or what anyone has proposed ANYWHERE.
That wasn't me. I never posted that comment.

Early on I did post the 2004 guidelines which had students in K-3 able to describe the act of reproduction using correct biological terms. But that was taken right from the guidelines and I pasted their sentences.

I don't have a kid in K-12 anymore and like I said I don't have a stand one way or another.
My beef is that many schools are not informing parents ahead of time what is going on and giving them the option to exclude their children.
This always ends up coming out after the fact at school board meetings full of angry parents.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:19 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no kidding, but the thing is: we really do not know for sure how many teens, having abortions are not part of the stats. Don't be so sure they are all counted...

As for teaching any form of sex education in kindergarten: it is a absolutely dumb idea!!!! What makes yu think parents should not be the ones to teach their kids this? As I have said, I believe in using correct words for body parts, I was very open with my kids when they were growing up and so was my daughter. Now my granddaughter has a 6 year old. My granddaughter is a nurse, practitioner, highly educated, very open minded and is appalled at the thought of anyone teaching her child any form of sex education in kindergarten or 1st grade. Do you have young children or family members that do. Have you discussed this with them? I am betting well over 1/2 the country does not want to see anything like this. As I have said, this has nothing to do with sex education later on..
Did you even bother to read the curriculum or the thread? The Kindergarten curriculum includes good touch/bad touch, the names of external body parts, and the concept that all living things reproduce--cells, plants, animals and people. It doesn't go into the mechanics of how fertilization takes place.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Teen PREGNANCY rates are through the roof in southern states that teach abstinence. That's different than the birth rate, which factors in abortion, miscarriage, etc. States that teach broader reproductive health have lower PREGNANCY rates than those states which are abstinence only.

The whole purpose of good touch/bad touch is to protect kids from molestation and to teach them personal boundaries and body safety--I'm not sure what you're talking about here. It's really simple--any body parts covered by your swimsuit are private, and it's "bad touch" for someone to touch you there unless it's to help you, like your parents or the doctor applying medicine or to keep you clean. "Good touch" is a hug or kiss from your mom, etc.. Here's a sample instruction outline:
http://www.co.ramsey.mn.us/NR/rdonly...riculum_12.pdf
OMG, did I say a word about teaching abstinence? of course I didn't and I don't believe in teaching only one way on any subject. My argument simply is with teaching any form of sex education in kindergarten. I actually fought for sex education in schools when I was a PTA president. (way back when) I have always believed in teaching it. This has nothing to do with how parents choose to teach their very young children about what is acceptable and is not. I don't care if you live in a rural community or the inner city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies