Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:42 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Its strange what gets defined as sex ed. Here in Alameda, a book about a new girl in class with a pet iguana was characterized as Alameda wanting to teach homosexual sex to kindergarteners.
Or the book about different families that they said was indoctrinating children into homosexuality, because one page said some kids have two moms or dads.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This was a CPS initiative and has nothing to do with Obama. It's all about age appropriate, science based sex education. Parents have the ability to opt -out their child. Parents generally feel relieved that the schools are handing the topic in an age appropriate manner.

Back in 2003, Obama did not sponsor the bill to provide age appropriate sex education in Illinois schools beginning in kindergarten. He did however vote in favor of it.

The overall birth rate among teens is now half what it was at its peak, two decades ago. So maybe, just maybe, earlier education is influencing outcomes.

Again, parents have the ability to opt-out.
Where in my post did I blame Obama ?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:52 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Soon kids will be taken at birth so the government can fully educate them.
Scary but this could happen some day. Babies will be scooped up right there at the hospitals and taken to the nearest HHS-run Baby Camp where there will learn about liberal beliefs, sex ed, free stuff, and how President Barrack H Obama is wisest man to ever walk on earth. Hmmmm Hmmmmm Hmmmmm

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
How's about maybe the parent wants the teaching to come from them and not some stranger being paid by the government ?

Are parents incapable of doing that today? On the government can do this now ?

Back when, my parents never said a word about sex. I did not know anyone who knew anyone who had had " the talk" with their parents. I read a chapter in Dr. Spock at the library.

The extent of sex education provided by parents I know is " don't do it" and if you do, use a condom. Then there are those parents who put their girls on the pill to " prevent acne" of course.

Most parents have and continue to do a ****-poor job of teaching their kids science based facts about sex.

1,963 posts, read 1,822,015 times
More sex education.
Lower teen birth rates.

i'm sure this is just another grand hoax perpetrated by the liberals.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:54 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
My son graduated from Texas HS in 2009.
He had some sex ed in HS but nothing in elementary or middle.

Now today I see some introduction being done in 6th and 7th grade science classes but the actual Health class with sex ed is an 8th grade class in the 4 districts I sub in. And there is no opting out.

Texas is more conservative about taking over what is the parent's job.
When I was a child in the sixties, the first classes that would fall under the broad category of Sex Ed occurred in the 6th grade. Mostly directed at the girls. If I recall there was an opt out option, but that was a long time ago.

My wife is a 4th grade teacher. Many kids in her class use various sexual terms. Its not always clear what they know about the terms. There are also indications that some of the kids have been exposed to some degree of sexual activity, which as a mandatory reporter she turns over to Child Protective Services.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:

Now today I see some introduction being done in 6th and 7th grade science classes but the actual Health class with sex ed is an 8th grade class in the 4 districts I sub in. And there is no opting out.

Texas is more conservative about taking over what is the parent's job.
Does this seem a tad contradictory?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:56 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Reading is fundamental. What's wrong with teaching kids good touch vs bad touch? What did you THINK they were going to be taught?
Reading, writing and arithmetic?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:57 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Reading, writing and arithmetic?
Maybe this kind of mentality is why the US educational system doesnt rank in the top 50.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Back when, my parents never said a word about sex. I did not know anyone who knew anyone who had had " the talk" with their parents. I read a chapter in Dr. Spock at the library.

The extent of sex education provided by parents I know is " don't do it" and if you do, use a condom. Then there are those parents who put their girls on the pill to " prevent acne" of course.

Most parents have and continue to do a ****-poor job of teaching their kids science based facts about sex.
I understand the majority of parents want this.
And in progressive states they get this much earlier along with birth control, abortion help, etc.
And yes, teen pregnancies have gone down in the past decade or so.

But kids are still going to do what they do even if you tell them no to or to take precautions.
A 12 year old is NOT going to go hunting down condoms.
And I am seeing girls getting pregnant in middle school. They have no clue about their future.
They fawn over baby clothes instead.

The mentality of a 12 year old is nowhere near that of an adult.
Their brain capability is not that of an adult.

It's a very uncomfortable topic to deal with.
I've subbed in sex ed classes. All I can say is that kids today already know a lot more at 13 then I even know now at my age. They know and they take the chance anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies