Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:41 PM

411 posts, read 901,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Really? The 1950s are only 3 generations ago. You and others alike ignore the reality of generational wealth. Your economical livelihood is highly dependent on the wealth of your parents.
I never had rich or even well off parents. I don't know what you mean. Everything I have I've had to earn. I am no different than any white person or black person without the benefit of the GI bill.

Black people always pull the silver spoon card against white people. well wrong again.

no more excuses should ever be tolerated. They are old and tired. How about this...... BE A FATHER TO YOUR CHILD! Start there. Enough of these ridiculous excuses. UGH!

Liberals are destroying this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 11:51 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
I never had rich or even well off parents. I don't know what you mean. Everything I have I've had to earn. I am no different than any white person or black person without the benefit of the GI bill.

Black people always pull the silver spoon card against white people. well wrong again.

no more excuses should ever be tolerated. They are old and tired. How about this...... BE A FATHER TO YOUR CHILD! Start there. Enough of these ridiculous excuses. UGH!

Liberals are destroying this country.

What do you have a degree in?

Old 09-01-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
What do you have a degree in?
I fail to see the relevance in this question. Tell me why you want to know, and If I think it's a good reason I will answer.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I fail to see the relevance in this question. Tell me why you want to know, and If I think it's a good reason I will answer.

I want to know, so I could ask you how you got financed through college. You either got financial aid, which is welfare, or you got a full ride on the backs of your parents' wealth.

You're either a hypocrite, or you had a privileged up bringing. Choose one.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I want to know, so I could ask you how you got financed through college. You either got financial aid, which is welfare, or you got a full ride on the backs of your parents' wealth.

You're either a hypocrite, or you had a privileged up bringing. Choose one.

I paid my way through hard work coupled with sleepless nights. I also took out a few small loans to get me through grad school. My parents had nothing to do with it other than paying for my first year of community college. They also bought my books a couple of times. I was in college for 8.5 years and I have paid off my student loans. I had a FULL time job the ENTIRE time I was getting my BA.

You picked the wrong guy. I am completely self made. My parents were great but they didn't make much money. The little that they did for me financially in college was great but I would have made it without that. So many people got through the way I did and so many of them are white. Most do not come from what you call "wealth". There are MANY middle class whites out there.

Oh and I have 2 degrees. So I'm not sure what you would be calling me a hypocrite for and to assume that "I rode on the backs of my parents wealth" is offensive and stereotyping white people as coming from wealth. Most do not and that goes for college grads too. Minorities had more avenues open to them as far as financial aid than I did. Loans too. Man, you are just way off. I never received financial aid from the University but I do not look at it as welfare like you do. I am all for it if you qualify.

seriously, your view is off. just way off.

What if I got an academic scholarship? You don't even consider that? That's how my sister got through college as well as several of my cousins. Black people aren't the only ones that gotta work for things in this world.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I paid my way through hard work coupled with sleepless nights. I also took out a few small loans to get me through grad school. My parents had nothing to do with it other than paying for my first year of community college. They also bought my books a couple of times. I was in college for 8.5 years and I have paid off my student loans. I had a FULL time job the ENTIRE time I was getting my BA.

You picked the wrong guy. I am completely self made. My parents were great but they didn't make much money. The little that they did for me financially in college was great but I would have made it without that. So many people got through the way I did and so many of them are white. Most do not come from what you call "wealth". There are MANY middle class whites out there.

Oh and I have 2 degrees. So I'm not sure what you would be calling me a hypocrite for and to assume that "I rode on the backs of my parents wealth" is offensive and stereotyping white people as coming from wealth. Most do not and that goes for college grads too. Minorities had more avenues open to them as far as financial aid than I did. Loans too. Man, you are just way off. I never received financial aid from the University but I do not look at it as welfare like you do. I am all for it if you qualify.

seriously, your view is off. just way off.

What if I got an academic scholarship? You don't even consider that? That's how my sister got through college as well as several of my cousins. Black people aren't the only ones that gotta work for things in this world.

Are you a Boomer? I find it hard to believe you paid your way through college while working and paying rent. That's not economically feasible these days.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Are you a Boomer? I find it hard to believe you paid your way through college while working and paying rent. That's not economically feasible these days.
Nope not a boomer. And yes I did pay my way through college. And yes it happens everyday. I didn't have to pay rent as I lived 20 miles off campus at my grandfathers house and then my older brothers place. I did have to pay rent while in Grad School and that is where the loans came in. Oh I guess going to a commuter school and living with family is "riding the backs of my parents wealth". Many people do it the way I did. MANY.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Nope not a boomer. And yes I did pay my way through college. And yes it happens everyday. I didn't have to pay rent as I lived 20 miles off campus at my grandfathers house and then my older brothers place. I did have to pay rent while in Grad School and that is where the loans came in. Oh I guess going to a commuter school and living with family is "riding the backs of my parents wealth". Many people do it the way I did. MANY.

Good for you. However, you don't have the typical experience. Most college students don't pay their own tuition.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Good for you. However, you don't have the typical experience. Most college students don't pay their own tuition.
Did you see where I said it took me 8.5 years. It took me 6.5 years to get my BA (including summers). I never could have done it in 4 given the financial burden so It took me longer.

who cares if they don't pay their tuition. There are more avenues open to minorities for this anyway. Had I been one I would have rode the wave big time. I'm not bitter. See, your view is myopic and maybe a bit on the bitter side. And while my experience might not be the majority of college experiences it is certainly not uncommon. Not uncommon to whites or blacks. Seriously, many do pay their tuition whether it is supplemented by family, or loans or all on their own. Some go part time (like I did) and summers (like I did) so they can afford it easier. Also, you gotta pay the loans back if you've received them. And even a free education is not free. If you went to college you know you gotta do the work to get through it. Everyone has their own price to pay for an education. For some it's more than others. You know what doesn't fly? Excuses. Nobody cares.

Completely different than playing the state by not marrying and having tons of kids to receive more money. Moreover, I commend ANY black person that finishes college and/or sticks around to raise his kids. I don't care if he gets his education for free, I'm all for it. That's money well spent, much better than paying him welfare to not work and make babies. Not to mention many historically black colleges have or have had open enrollment so that admissions are nothing. Please no more excuses.

Liberals are ruining this country.

Last edited by fortwashingtonkid; 09-02-2013 at 01:09 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 07:05 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
You are so full of it's incredible! Here is a "struggle" black people can't overcome! They are "BLACK"! In case you haven't noticed racial discrimination still exists in the US! As for "welfare" the vast majority of people who are on it happen to be "white" by sheer numbers!
There are more whites on welfare, simply because there are more whites, if you break it down into groups, by percentage per group, there are way more blacks on welfare and for generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies