Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 07:40 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Stop being dishonest and answer the question.

First, you do NOT need healthcare" to live. Man has survived more generations than we can document without ANY health care at all.

Second, if you can't afford any health care, you can't afford food, either.

Third, you're not answering the question. The question is: If the best way to have essentials is to have a third party pay for them, why are you not campaigning for this for everything?

Because you're defending the indefensible, and there are no logical or reasoned arguments to support it. You contradict your own logic, and you refuse to address ANY criticism or question about it. That behavior = propaganda, not reason.
No no. I, and YOU, definitely need healthcare to live. Without it, you can cut your life expectancy by half (well, probably not you. I bet you are already old).

As for this piece. "If the best way to have essentials is to have a third party pay for them, why are you not campaigning for this for everything?" I do actually have insurance for a lot of things in my life. My car, my home, my health, etc. When a need is subject to catastrophic and random events (example, your health and getting diagnosed with cancer) you need to have insurance to pay for it. I don't need coverage for this type of thing regarding food, because food is easily attainable and won't bankrupt you. Getting cancer would bankrupt someone without health insurance, so we need to have universal healthcare coverage. There I answered your question.

And yes, there are MILLIONS of reasons to defend Obamacare. Every person with a pre-existing condition in this country is a reason to defend Obamacare. But I suppose a RWNJ like yourself just expects sick people to sit back and die and not burden the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 07:44 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
No no. I, and YOU, definitely need healthcare to live. Without it, you can cut your life expectancy by half (well, probably not you. I bet you are already old).

As for this piece. "If the best way to have essentials is to have a third party pay for them, why are you not campaigning for this for everything?" I do actually have insurance for a lot of things in my life. My car, my home, my health, etc. When a need is subject to catastrophic and random events (example, your health and getting diagnosed with cancer) you need to have insurance to pay for it. I don't need coverage for this type of thing regarding food, because food is easily attainable and won't bankrupt you. Getting cancer would bankrupt someone without health insurance, so we need to have universal healthcare coverage. There I answered your question.

And yes, there are MILLIONS of reasons to defend Obamacare. Every person with a pre-existing condition in this country is a reason to defend Obamacare. But I suppose a RWNJ like yourself just expects sick people to sit back and die and not burden the system.
Like I said, you can't answer the question, and instead, resort to trying to change the subject.

Or, (and this is likely) you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
And to answer the OPs question, Obamacare does a LOT to help people with pre-existing conditions, such as a myself. I will no longer be charged an arm and a leg for private health insurance. It also helps people like my brother, who is now 23 but can stay on our parents health insurance policy. He needs this because he has chronic asthma.
Sure. Everyone in need likes a handout.

It's the people who get their pocket picked against their will who are objecting.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:04 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Sure. Everyone in need likes a handout.

It's the people who get their pocket picked against their will who are objecting.
At least you came clean about your apathy towards the suffering of your fellow Americans.

Get this though. Most Americans are NOT like you. And they see the disgusting and inhumane atrocities committed by our prior healthcare system and they voted to change it. To change it for the better. Find something new to hate.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:15 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
They are correct. It is a takeover by government, of our lives.

They are totally unconstitutional, as well.
Supreme court doesn't think so. Perhaps you should take a civic course.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:12 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
Quote:

In other words, that person with a "pre-existing" condition waited until they got sick then went looking for insurance. Common sense says get insurance before you need it. Most got it through employment. Oh yea, you liberals don't believe in working.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
In other words, that person with a "pre-existing" condition waited until they got sick then went looking for insurance. Common sense says get insurance before you need it. Most got it through employment. Oh yea, you liberals don't believe in working.
So you're saying that people with pre-existing conditions should get coverage before their pre-existing condition appears? That's genius! I wonder why people with pre-existing conditions didn't just think of that in the first place! Of course, for many people, that would mean obtaining insurance while they were still children, before that asthma or diabetes or cancer kicked in, but hey, I say if they were too lazy when they were in preschool to go get insurance, they have no one to blame but themselves. Are you with me on this, Ray? Yeah, I knew you would be.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:31 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Seriously?

Oddly enough, you actually touch on the issue in your post.
Yes, many people got insurance through their employers. If those same people lose their jobs and cannot afford COBRA, ie. continuous coverage, any medical condition they had before losing their coverage, or that developed while uninsured, is now a pre-existing condition.

Did these people "wait" to get insurance?

Another scenario: anyone with a chronic condition that was diagnosed in childhood. Must people in this situation be forced to rely on employment to get coverage?

If so, why?

Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
So you're saying that people with pre-existing conditions should get coverage before their pre-existing condition appears? That's genius! I wonder why people with pre-existing conditions didn't just think of that in the first place! Of course, for many people, that would mean obtaining insurance while they were still children, before that asthma or diabetes or cancer kicked in, but hey, I say if they were too lazy when they were in preschool to go get insurance, they have no one to blame but themselves. Are you with me on this, Ray? Yeah, I knew you would be.
Or.............................
Have a BMI of 30 or above
Take blood pressure medicine
Take Thyroid medicine
Take anything or allergies
Take anything to help your mental health
Been diagnosed with arthritis
Over 55 have have taken pills or had any procedure in the last 5 years
There are many reasons why a person would try to get an individual policy,
they work at a place that does not offer insurance
self employed
got laid off and COBRA was either too expensive or ran out
My wife is a perfect example, I retired at 66, she is 6 years younger than me. My job required numerous relocations and she stayed home with the kids. When I retired, based upon when I applied for Part B she was allowed to stay on COBRA for 25 months until it ran out. Because she takes medication for blood pressure and thyroid, she was denied insurance with every company that does business in our state. No one, much less my wife Ray is lazy!
Ray your posts are typical of those that have no clue how our lousy health care safety net works in the US. Just as an example, my wife's brother's father-in-law had two stints done last month, in addition they had done 8 separate surgeries on his leg, again just in the last few weeks (finally losing his leg, 1st below the knee then above the knee). Remember our health care is based upon "fee for service", more procedures, more money. Finally he got a staph infection which they are having a hard time clearing up....................but..................they are now wanting to do open heart surgery on him. He said no thanks and has gone home to die. Another example, my wife's aunt was feeling tired all the time and stayed right on the edge of passing out. Went to a heart doctor, two stints, two separate days (remember, fee for service) After that, still feeling bad, they finally figured out she is losing blood "somewhere" and that was what her problem is. Did she need the stints?, who knows, the hospital and doctor benefited, maybe she didn't.

Last edited by GreggT; 09-01-2013 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
I worked full time through chemotherapy for Stage IV cancer, thank you very much. And I was unable to get insurance after my school-insurance ended upon graduation due to pre-existing conditions. Had I been diagnosed with my cancer a few months earlier, I would have been uninsured - not because I didn't want to work, but because I couldn't find a job. I moved 1000 miles away for my first job a few months after graduation, and was promptly diagnosed with cancer. The cancer had been missed in numerous medical appointments for the symptoms in the previous months.

My first pre-existing condition developed when I was 8. Can you suggest an insurance company that will take a 7 year old's allowance? I was denied insurance at 22 years old because of that issue and having saught psychiatric care as a teenager following a rape that left me pregnant, and later miscarried. By 23, I also had a Stage IV cancer diagnosis under my belt and even with insurance, the cost of my 6 months of treatment, medication, transportation (could no longer walk/take public transit), and other accomodations for my illness was most of my income. I had to take my laptop to chemo to work through it, turning down anti-anxiety meds and painkillers, just to keep a roof over my head and some Ramen in my belly.

That's why I support Obamacare as a step forward, though not an end solution. My story is grim - and I'm one of the lucky ones. I had a job that offered insurance almost immediately. My job did not let me go when I got sick and needed to miss work frequently for treatment and appointments. My insurance company did not drop me. I had absolutely no debt (thanks to a full tuition scholarship that I worked my BUTT off to earn) and more in savings than the average fresh-out of college grad to get me through. I had supportive coworkers who gave me rides and occasionally fed me. Not everyone has that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies