Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 04:04 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I certainly have not been given any reason to vote Republican.
I would sooner walk from Providence to Boston barefooted on glass shards than betray my country and vote for the America Hating/Terrorist Enabling Republican Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 04:04 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What and why do you think this is taking place? I just want to know your take on it.
Because deep down they know/knew the people fighting for justice are righteous but their morals only allow them to support things like civil rights after it is popular. They will never take a progressive stand even if progress is the logical next step in evolution...

Old 09-02-2013, 04:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Read a couple of articles on the 2(Roosevelt and Wilson) it seems the academic community looks at Progressives the same way as they look at Libertarians, as there being a Left(Teddy) and a Right(Woodrow) version of each. I still dont view his ideology as progressive though.

Per student spending compared to the rest of the world has nothing to do with this debate. How much Switzerland spends per student doesnt really compare to the U.S. High schools in many European nations do not even sponsor schools sports,they have community based teams , that takes out a huge chunk of the cost right there.

While I disagree with the bold, may I ask why you did not just say that in the first place instead of trying to manipulate my words and claim i was for a status quote when i was obviously for fixing the problems ?

Now to address what you said here. What exactly do you mean by fix ? What do you think the problem is in the public schools that are failing and how do we"fix" it and why would teachers be against it

and as i stated earlier, not all students can afford transportation to schools that support vouchers so regardless of if competition is had, some students will still be forced to stay at failing schools. They are making it worse of those children with no plan in place to fix it.
Now I have a little more time. You claimed that "republicans have indeed directly defunded Public education. Spending is up ,but per student spending is down...." This is just not true. Here is a succinct link for you:
Fast Facts

Per student spending in 1970 was $4956. In 2008 it was $10,694 (inflation adjusted). So spending more than doubled. And has continued to rise since 2008.

We spend more per student than any other country, but get mediocre results. Sports may explain a small fraction of a disparity, but I doubt that it is significant. Link? Quote? Transportation is a trivial problem in the provision of education. Canada faces much bigger transportation challenges than we do--low population density, snow, ice, etc--yet their PISA scores are in the top 5, while ours are in the mid 20's. Transportation is a red herring.

The teachers' union (not 'teachers') incentive is to maximize education spending, and minimize accountability for their members, which is why it is not in their interest to fix public schools. They want two things: a) more money; b)less accountability. And they donate to the politicos who will deliver that.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Completely ridiculous considering that the parents are still paying for the public education at the same time, even though their children arent using the services.
What is your point ? that has nothing to do with what either comment says.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:38 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Now I have a little more time. You claimed that "republicans have indeed directly defunded Public education. Spending is up ,but per student spending is down...." This is just not true. Here is a succinct link for you:
Fast Facts

Per student spending in 1970 was $4956. In 2008 it was $10,694 (inflation adjusted). So spending more than doubled. And has continued to rise since 2008.

We spend more per student than any other country, but get mediocre results. Sports may explain a small fraction of a disparity, but I doubt that it is significant. Link? Quote? Transportation is a trivial problem in the provision of education. Canada faces much bigger transportation challenges than we do--low population density, snow, ice, etc--yet their PISA scores are in the top 5, while ours are in the mid 20's. Transportation is a red herring.

The teachers' union (not 'teachers') incentive is to maximize education spending, and minimize accountability for their members, which is why it is not in their interest to fix public schools. They want two things: a) more money; b)less accountability. And they donate to the politicos who will deliver that.
cost per student from other nations has nothing to do with this conversation because there are thousands of factors including a difference in cost of living, You said yourself, the average per student cost in 2008 is 10,694, in my link below, i have a system where that cost is only about 7,500. Cost is different from system to system and state to state even for the same basic services. Heck it is even different from school to school

http://www.bcbe.org/Download.asp?L=1...ad&T=2&I=36602

population density is a median calculation, its population over land,but there are thousands of miles in Canada where humans have never set foot(where there are no people at all)
90% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the US border, So when you say "low population density", you are being disingenuous. If you take that into account.their population density for area that is actually populated by humans, and not trees, is about the same as the state of Iowa.

http://parca.samford.edu/education/k...ookieSupport=1

im using the above link because it involves the system i attended.

This from 2010, so it is a little outdated, but bare with me.

7,550 is the per student cost for the Baldwin County School district

240 per student for general administrative cost. ( Privates schools do not have this cost at all)

349 dollars per student for transportation.

571 for Athletics,does not include maintenance(cutting football field grass, waxing basketball court floor) and facilities ( building the stadium)

It does indeed make a difference when it comes to both private schools and schools abroad.

that line on Unions is just partisan bickering and you know it. I know you dont like unions, but come on.

by the way, you still havent defined "fixing" .

And last but not least, I already explained per student averages compared to the past. The cost is up, but not spending on the students themselves. Administrative cost are up, so are athletics and transportation.

Last edited by dsjj251; 09-03-2013 at 03:47 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 05:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
What is your point ? that has nothing to do with what either comment says.
The cost isnt being shifted if the parents are paying both costs..

I'm sorry its complicated for you to understand that if they are paying the private tuition, + the public tuition by way of taxes, then the price isnt cheaper than the public tuition, even if you pretend it is.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:20 AM

934 posts, read 1,346,234 times
Repubs are for charter schools?
Dems are for public schools?

Can someone explain the racial component to this issue? Are public school better for blacks/minorities?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah...i have a link. It's called C-D Politics and Other Controversies.

Look at the posts from you and your fellow conservatives. That's all anyone needs.
detroiter, you actually base your opinion by the small amount of people who post on C-D.....uh, okay

Would you like to show where I've said anything about white only party or the Republican party has no blacks? I've showed you many times where you're wrong, you just like to keep playing the race card.....it's become your motto on here, your so obvious these days.

Quote:
He's one because i said he's one...and it has NOTHING to do with his politics.
Well, for a person who gets his opinion from posters on C-D I'll take what West says over your opinion any day. At least the man isn't race baiting and hating on white people and others all the time. West actually sees the good and bad in humans, not by skin color or party oor if they post on C-D.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:13 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Blacks will define what an Uncle Tom is. Not non-blacks.
So now you can only define "Uncle Tom" just like blacks get to define "Racist" acting some what superior I'd say. When did people of any color own words?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:24 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
cost per student from other nations has nothing to do with this conversation because there are thousands of factors including a difference in cost of living, You said yourself, the average per student cost in 2008 is 10,694, in my link below, i have a system where that cost is only about 7,500. Cost is different from system to system and state to state even for the same basic services. Heck it is even different from school to school

http://www.bcbe.org/Download.asp?L=1...ad&T=2&I=36602

population density is a median calculation, its population over land,but there are thousands of miles in Canada where humans have never set foot(where there are no people at all)
90% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the US border, So when you say "low population density", you are being disingenuous. If you take that into account.their population density for area that is actually populated by humans, and not trees, is about the same as the state of Iowa.

http://parca.samford.edu/education/k...ookieSupport=1

im using the above link because it involves the system i attended.

This from 2010, so it is a little outdated, but bare with me.

7,550 is the per student cost for the Baldwin County School district

240 per student for general administrative cost. ( Privates schools do not have this cost at all)

349 dollars per student for transportation.

571 for Athletics,does not include maintenance(cutting football field grass, waxing basketball court floor) and facilities ( building the stadium)

It does indeed make a difference when it comes to both private schools and schools abroad.

that line on Unions is just partisan bickering and you know it. I know you dont like unions, but come on.

by the way, you still havent defined "fixing" .

And last but not least, I already explained per student averages compared to the past. The cost is up, but not spending on the students themselves. Administrative cost are up, so are athletics and transportation.
We're getting lost in a maze here. Let's follow the breadcrumb trail back to the genesis. You had posted that

Quote:
republicans have indeed directly defunded Public education. Spending is up ,but per student spending is down, and comparing the dollar to just 20 years ago, spending is actually down overall by about 15% per student in this country( high school, not college
Again, this is just not true. Spending per student has more than doubled since 1970, inflation adjusted. I gave you a .gov link showing that it more than doubled. Now where is your link showing that it dropped by 15% over the last 20 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies