Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Stephen Harper unilaterally without Parliament or the UN, send Canada's military into Detroit
Yes 29 36.25%
No 51 63.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
How about people go over the books? Gangs usually form in poor areas. Why not use the money the govt there is misrepresenting and clean the place up. Obviously, the management needs some replacing. Violence against violence is ridiculous.

Anyone else not feel sorry for poor cities on the verge?

Detroit: The Latest Bankruptcy Lie
quote:
Can you say creative accounting?
Can you say FRAUD?
Can you imagine if you told the IRS that you have earned no money this year because you have future debts to pay in 10 years?
#1 Perhaps you should think about the context of this thread.

#2 Detroit's bankruptcy is off topic, but anyone suggesting there isn't a problem doesn't understand reality. They can't replace street lights or pay current bonds coming due = bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:07 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Canada's Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, must act now and with or without Parliament or the UN's consent.

The violence in Detroit (20 shootings last weekend) has been spilling over into Windsor, Ontario for decades. The solid majority of murders and crimes go unsolved as a corrupt and inept Detroit government fails to stem the life-long violence and street wars of gangs.
That's a nice idea. They should annex Detroit. The Canadians would clean up the streets and get rid of all the guns. Detroit residents would get better education and healthcare. The place would be looking like Toronto in a few years.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:54 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Detroit has gotten exactly what it wanted.

When I lived there, the mayor was a pseudo rap star that ran around in fancy cars with gold chains.

The local evening news was filled with undercover stories of how he had his high school buddies on the city pay roll, he purchased fancy homes and cars for his relatives on the city tab, and would vacation in other states visiting restaurants owned by rappers like Puff Daddy while racking up thousand dollar bills consisting of lobster and champaign on the cities tab. The people of Detroit did not care. He was RE ELECTED and rewarded for his corruption.

Last I heard he was in prison.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Btw, why would Canada want to clean up Detroit?

People who live there can tell you that the Detroit area has tons of huge landfills. Every morning there are lines upon lines of Canadian semi trucks filled with trash coming over the border to dump their garbage in the USA. There were constantly stories on the news talking about how the radiation detectors at the border were always going off from all of the radioactive Canadian medical waste coming into Detroit. News crews would sometimes film even blood trickling out of some Canadian garbage trucks.

I had to drive by one landfill on a regular basis, and there would be a line of Semi trucks with Canadian plates 1 mile long each morning outside the landfill.

Detroit is Canada's dumping ground, literally.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Detroit has gotten exactly what it wanted.

When I lived there, the mayor was a pseudo rap star that ran around in fancy cars with gold chains.

The local evening news was filled with undercover stories of how he had his high school buddies on the city pay roll, he purchased fancy homes and cars for his relatives on the city tab, and would vacation in other states visiting restaurants owned by rappers like Puff Daddy while racking up thousand dollar bills consisting of lobster and champaign on the cities tab. The people of Detroit did not care. He was RE ELECTED and rewarded for his corruption.

Last I heard he was in prison.
The entire city council is full of corrupt and/or incompetent people that get into fist fights while in session. They get reelected too and when they don't it is someone that is the same. Detroit chooses this - you are correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpzRuB-YMpg

Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The entire city council is full of corrupt and/or incompetent people that get into fist fights while in session. They get reelected too and when they don't it is someone that is the same. Detroit chooses this - you are correct.

Monica Conyers Debates with an 8th Graders - YouTube
I saw plenty of the city council on the local tv when I lived there. I stopped watching it on tv when I heard the council members using the race card and blaming some random white person for something one too many times. Detroit is a prime example of what happens when the victim mentality within a culture permeates the local government.

I'm not even going to say anymore because it is just disgusting...

Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Btw, why would Canada want to clean up Detroit?

People who live there can tell you that the Detroit area has tons of huge landfills. Every morning there are lines upon lines of Canadian semi trucks filled with trash coming over the border to dump their garbage in the USA. There were constantly stories on the news talking about how the radiation detectors at the border were always going off from all of the radioactive Canadian medical waste coming into Detroit. News crews would sometimes film even blood trickling out of some Canadian garbage trucks.

I had to drive by one landfill on a regular basis, and there would be a line of Semi trucks with Canadian plates 1 mile long each morning outside the landfill.

Detroit is Canada's dumping ground, literally.
It all evens out; your guns are smuggled into Canada to perform mayhem and we send you our garbage in return. I guess that's business the capitalistic way, eh? You need the money and Canada needs a hole in the ground.

Since most of the murders comitted with weapons smuggled into Canada are of fellow thugs, I think we're getting the better deal.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Oh .. Those pesky Canadians

Old 09-24-2013, 08:43 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
We should just trade them. They can have the lower peninsula of Michigan, we get British Columbia.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,910 times
Clearly, the OP is tongue-in-cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies