U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM

12,798 posts, read 6,934,499 times

Advertisements

President Barack Obama addressed the crisis in Syria on Saturday, saying he has decided the United States should take military action against regime targets, but that he will seek authorization from Congress before taking action.

"I will seek authorization for the use of force from the American people's representatives in Congress," Obama said during a press conference in the White House Rose Garden.

Obama said any action would "be designed to be limited in duration and scope."

Obama Says U.S. Should Take Action In Syria, Will Seek Congress' Authorization For Use Of Force

Good.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-31-2013, 12:16 PM

20,301 posts, read 20,221,644 times
We can only hope that congress votes to mind our own business.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:16 PM

14,372 posts, read 8,574,739 times
I closed my eyes... and could have sworn Bush was speaking

Somewhere 4 years from now, Republicans will be the ones saying that "we were for it, before we were against it"

same as it ever was...
same as it ever was...

BTW, Obama has never let the Constitution, or Congress, get in his way. He's doing it "the right way" because he knows the reality of both Dems and Reps love of war mongering.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:25 PM

47,531 posts, read 63,148,666 times
I bet he's not going to send any of his beloved 11 to 30 million illegals to die for his Syrian cause. No --- they will grab up all the jobs and keep Americans unemployed so more Americans will turn to military service and be killed for Obama's Syrian cause.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:26 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,103,547 times
Good..all those conference calls along with his minion lawyers must have showed him that he's not the King with sole power.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM

72,080 posts, read 38,464,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
President Barack Obama addressed the crisis in Syria on Saturday, saying he has decided the United States should take military action against regime targets, but that he will seek authorization from Congress before taking action.

"I will seek authorization for the use of force from the American people's representatives in Congress," Obama said during a press conference in the White House Rose Garden.

Obama said any action would "be designed to be limited in duration and scope."

Obama Says U.S. Should Take Action In Syria, Will Seek Congress' Authorization For Use Of Force

Good.
Good. It is the right thing to do. He could have used the War Powers Act, but most Americans think the Congress should decide, and I agree.

1,477 posts, read 772,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We can only hope that congress votes to mind our own business.
This 100%

12,798 posts, read 6,934,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Good..all those conference calls along with his minion lawyers must have showed him that he's not the King with sole power.
Any predictions on how Congress will vote?

Old 08-31-2013, 12:31 PM

14,734 posts, read 11,775,981 times
I will say, I didn't see this coming. While it's the right thing to do, I have to wonder about the effectiveness of what seems to be the world's most transparent campaign to bomb Syria. They've been signaling it so publicly by now that they may as well just include the date, time, and targets in that vote as well by now. Already, there are reports that the Syrians are moving weapons across borders, getting out of bases, mixing into civilian populations; now they know they have at least another month to protect their most valuable assets and blunt the effectiveness of any US military strike. How much more transparency do you want to give your enemy?

I wonder if Obama wishes to backtrack on his red line and is actually looking for a negative vote from Congress as an excuse not to follow through. He has to know that Congress would never approve anything he asks for these days, Syria-related or not.

Last edited by ambient; 08-31-2013 at 12:40 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 12:34 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,334,801 times
The launch of the first missile will begin a story that can only end badly. This is not worth a single American casualty or life, and not worth spending the cost of a single US-taxpayer-paid bullet on. We have no strategic interest, no national security concerns, and no American or US ally is in any way threatened. Whoever wins in the Syrian conflict will still be our enemy, sworn to destroy us. Obama is not going to raise his stature in the world's eyes. The only one to gain from this is Jimmy Carter, who even now is thinking "Holy *****, now I'm sure not the worst President ever!"

We don't have a dog in that fight. Let them slaughter each other by any means they choose - knives, guns, bombs, whatever. It's not of our concern and an internal matter for Syria or the Arab League. The UN can act, or let someone else lead this battle.

Our military deserves better leadership, as does the country as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.